Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chess Notation Comparisons

Originally Posted by Kaitlin (from Chess Book Sale thread)
    Are all these books written in algebraic notation of abc 123 or are any in like Kings first square?

AC
    that kings first square is called descriptive notation, which aint that bad when analysing black coz counting 1,2,3 down the board from black's side you get that sense of your army moving forward one rank at a time. also when the pieces are attacking with pieces they seem like piercing the heart when they attacking the seventh rank which actually is in white's heart.

Thanks for the separate thread, but aren't you worried about the people who don't read ChessChat? Maybe it would be worth your while sending your quote of yourself to all the newspapers and TV stations as well, it would be a shame if someone had to miss reading it.
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Thanks for the separate thread, but aren't you worried about the people who don't read ChessChat? Maybe it would be worth your while sending your quote of yourself to all the newspapers and TV stations as well, it would be a shame if someone had to miss reading it.
    for your info in prevous lives I have been on all TV news and front page of newspapers and on radiio all around the country - I would like to see you do that, not even our medalled KB and BG have achieved gthat, in fact no chess personality in Australia has so...

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    for your info in prevous lives I have been on all TV news and front page of newspapers and on radiio all around the country - I would like to see you do that, not even our medalled KB and BG have achieved gthat, in fact no chess personality in Australia has so...
    Are you sure? There are some Aus chess players or ex-players who are reasonably prominent public figures.

Anyway for what it's worth while not quite comparing to the above I've been on:

* national radio (not counting talkback) interviewed at least twice
    * interviewed on TV news screened at state level (and not about chess)
    * front page of Hobart Mercury (who hasn't?)

mine is bigger than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Are you sure? There are some Aus chess players or ex-players who are reasonably prominent public figures.

Anyway for what it's worth while not quite comparing to the above I've been on:

* national radio (not counting talkback) interviewed at least twice
    * interviewed on TV news screened at state level (and not about chess)
    * front page of Hobart Mercury (who hasn't?)
    BUT, I was the news item on national and internatioinal not just the periferal,, as well as photos, and I was main actor in movie for about 10 minutes - beat that. I have even been bashed and witnessed by about a billion people on TV the privilege being carried out by Swiss guards.

Now to get us both back on topic do you agree with my comments re descriptive notation when analysing black from black's end of board? To simplify the same alegebraic notation could be written for black, I think could be easily done by computers then best of both worlds.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Now to get us both back on topic do you agree with my comments re descriptive notation when analysing black from black's end of board?
    No. It took me a while to adapt to algebraic, which I only started using around age 22, but descriptive is just too cumbersome. It's particularly annoying to not be able to designate a single square with a single label and to have to talk about whether you mean KR7 from white's side or black's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    No. It took me a while to adapt to algebraic, which I only started using around age 22, but descriptive is just too cumbersome. It's particularly annoying to not be able to designate a single square with a single label and to have to talk about whether you mean KR7 from white's side or black's.
    that is when my last para above comes in, we have algebraic but written to cover from both side of boards. That is 1-8 and 8-1 down same side of board. i think the computers could translat it. I think with sympathetic notation it makes one think more agressively from black as well as white.

now you can see why I was such a good coach

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    that is when my last para above comes in, we have algebraic but written to cover from both side of boards. That is 1-8 and 8-1 down same side of board. i think the computers could translat it. I think with sympathetic notation it makes one think more agressively from black as well as white.
    I agree, confusion often leads to aggression.

now you can see why I was such a good coach
    Do you have any testimonials from strong players you have coached?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I agree, confusion often leads to aggression.

Do you have any testimonials from strong players you have coached?
    well an Aust champ watched me coaching and commented that I was a better coach thean he will ever be - but you know me I dont like to brag

LOL at most of AC's comments on this thread - especially the latest one!
    FWIW I wouldn't want to go back to descriptive notation now, for the reason Kevin gives (non-uniqueness), though I did happily use it for most of my years as a junior.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Oh yes, algebraic is vastly superior for game recording, and even more for blindfold chess.

Descriptive is better, however, for describing many endgames, because of symmetry. It's enough to know that a Q v BP or RP on the 7th draws in most cases, for example. Sometimes there is a little bit of a problem, when a player learned that a R+BP+RP v R is often a draw, and headed for aP + fP and was vexed when his opponent won easily.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

well an Aust champ watched me coaching and commented that I was a better coach thean he will ever be - but you know me I dont like to brag
    I guess that is a "no". Very odd for someone claiming to be "such a good coach" to not have a single testimonial of a reasonably strong player.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I guess that is a "no". Very odd for someone claiming to be "such a good coach" to not have a single testimonial of a reasonably strong player.
    it is only my modesty that restrains me. But at least one had gone to reach 2000 rating and others won trophies. One high-rated one refers low-rated players to go through my regime first before he will take them on for further coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Oh yes, algebraic is vastly superior for game recording, and even more for blindfold chess.

Descriptive is better, however, for describing many endgames, because of symmetry. It's enough to know that a Q v BP or RP on the 7th draws in most cases, for example. Sometimes there is a little bit of a problem, when a player learned that a R+BP+RP v R is often a draw, and headed for aP + fP and was vexed when his opponent won easily.
    thanks Jono, as stated earlier when black also refers his attack from rank 1 to rank 8 is more accurate and agressive than rank 8 going down to 1. So if games were notated in algabraic from both white and black sides then it would be perfect. simplicity, aggressive, logical and equal. I dont why it cant be done by computer. So from opening to endgame it has benefit

it is only my modesty that restrains me. But at least one had gone to reach 2000 rating and others won trophies. One high-rated one refers low-rated players to go through my regime first before he will take them on for further coaching
    Why would *your* modesty restrain you?

I'm asking about testimonials from others, not you. That is the point (to which you seem oblivious).

Thread Information