Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

2004 Hospitality Textiles Tony Colyer Pty Ltd Australian Schools Teams Championships

In the Vic. Sec. Schools' Finals (Open Category), the top three placings were:

Scotch College (22.5 points)
    Uni. High (19 points)
    Brighton Grammar (18 points)

Scotch College will represent Vic. in the finals in Mt Buller. Players are Sam Chow (Board 1); Daichi Nagao (Board 2); Chris Sia (Board 3) and Alex Hua (Board 4). One or two reserves will be present; pending confirmation.

Can the other states please forward info. on their teams here, if considered appropriate? Thank you.

Tony Chow
    Last edited by Tony_Chow; 19-09-2004 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Chow
    In the Vic. Sec. Schools' Finals (Open Category), the top three placings were:

Scotch College (22.5 points)
    Uni. High (19 points)
    Brighton Grammar (18 points)

Scotch College will represent Vic. in the finals in Mt Buller. Players are Sam Chow (Board 1); Daichi Nagao (Board 2); Chris Sia (Board 3) and Alex Hua (Board 4). One or two reserves will be present; pending confirmation.

Can the other states please forward info. on their teams here, if considered appropriate? Thank you.

Tony Chow
    Hi Tony,

Has the school co-ordinator been given the entry form and information? Gary Wastell has been given all information.

As soon as the Mt Buller website is up, all teams will be put up on the website, as soon as I receive the formal entry.

We would also like a school profile, so that we can put that up on the website as well.

If you are organising the team and haven't received any info, perhaps you would like to contact Gary (or myself) and get the full info.

regards,

Jenni

ASC or Australian SChools Teams Championships

I am going to be pedantic and put the correct name for this event as a title to this post.

I have not yet received any formal entries, but from e-mails received the following teams should be present so far.

Open Secondary

WA Christ Church Grammar
    Vic Scotch College
    SA St Peter's College (considering)

Girls Secondary

Qld Merrimac
    ACT Daramalan (very shaky, but possibly)

Open Primary

Vic Essex Heights
    ACT Telopea
    SA St Peter's Junior School (considering)

Girls Primary

Qld Somerset College
    ACT Curtin
    Last edited by jenni; 21-09-2004 at 11:22 AM.

CC Candidate Master

Australian Schools' Teams Championships

Thanks Jenni,

The School Co-ordinator will be organising the team entry when term resumes in a fortnight.

I only have to drive the kids up the mountain.

Tony Chow

Thanks Jenni,

The School Co-ordinator will be organising the team entry when term resumes in a fortnight.

I only have to drive the kids up the mountain.

Tony Chow
    That's what parents are for - and to carry the luggage.

Filling the Bye

I am getting a few questions about how the bye is going to be handled for the Aus schools comps.

It is specified in the info sheet, which has been posted in the Mt Buller section and also in the info sheet available on the web.

However to summarise - obviously there aren't too many school teams available locally in Mt Buller to fill any bye which might occur in the various divisions of the schools comp.

George Howard left it to me to decide how to do it and I chose a system proposed by Charles Zworestine who is going to DOP at the ASC in December.

Basically the State that won its division in ASC 2003 (held in Perth Jan 2004) get to fill the bye if one occurs. Thus

ACT fills Girls Primary
    QLD fills Girls Secondary
    NSW fills Open Primary
    NSW fills Open Secondary

ACT and QLD both have team on standby to fill their byes. It is unlikely we will have a bye in the Open secondary and I have not talked to NSW as yet about the Open Primary.

This thread is being moved to the Mt Buller section.

update on schools

no official entries received as yet. As soon as I get them, they will be passed onto Jeo to put up on the website. These are the names of winners in various state finals.

Open Secondary

WA Christ Church Grammar entry received
    Vic Scotch College
    SA St Peter's College entry received
    QLD Somerset College
    NSW Sydney Boys High entry received
    ACT still playing off

Girls Secondary

Qld Merrimac entry received
    ACT Daramalan
    Vic PLC entry received
    SA Walford
    NSW need to decide between North Sydney Girls High and Abbotsleigh
    QLD Somerset College (filling bye)

Open Primary

VIC Essex Heights
    ACT Telopea Park entry received
    SA St Peter's Junior School
    QLD Worongary entry received
    NSW Sydney Grammar - St Ives (provisional)
    WA Midland Christian entry received

Girls Primary

Qld Somerset College
    ACT Curtin Polgar Entry received
    Vic PLC Junior Entry received
    SA Wilderness
    NSW ongoing
    ACT Curtin Moylan (filling bye) Entry received
    Last edited by jenni; 27-10-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Congratulations to Worongary. They only qualified on Sunday, but have already booked their accommodation and sent me their entry and profile. They are definitely an administrator's dream team.

Team to play in mt Buller is Sam Grigg, Jayden Fisher, Sebastian Jule, Lachlan Pedersen-Lee (This is the board order) plus Shaun Curtis as a reserve.

Hopefully Jeo will be putting both the entry and profile up on the official site soon, but here is a photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jenni; 11-10-2004 at 09:57 PM.

I have been talking to Roman and the Mercure is going to give extra sponsorship for the evening function and afternoon teas (I have a budget from George to spend on these), which will result in this all being free to participants.

It is very generous of the Mercure, particularly when we have made it clear that the schools will not be held there again.

I would urge all schools to stay at the Mercure. It really makes sense to stay there for the 2 nights involved. Also if everyone is staying there, we will have really good social interaction going on and that is a very big part of the schools championships.

Libby has promised me that she will bring up some sports equipment, (soccer balls, indoor cricket bats etc), so that we can get some games happening after the 3rd round on the Saturday.

The ACF Council at its meeting last Monday night has awarded the 2005 Australian Schools event to the NSWCA. Naturally the event will be run by the NSWJCL.
    It will be held on the 10-11th December at Newington College in Sydney.

I hope that the drive to the venue will not have echoes of "Are we there yet?"
    its 2 and a half hours if you go through wittlesea and yea. Dont go through the yarra valley
    Last edited by Garvinator; 14-10-2004 at 01:28 AM.

I hear what you say. However, Scotch College owns a Ski Lodge in Mount Buller, close to the venue and this is where the Scotch College team will be staying.
    Yes Michele told me about your lodge - hard to go past free accommodation. I think the Mercure will be happy with the bookings as the majority of schools are staying there.

allowance of up to four reserves has raised some discussion between the School Coordinator and I.
    My feeling is that 4 reserves is too many. With only 5 rounds and your team wanting to do well, they would be lucky to get a game. The rules allow for four reserves, but realistically no-one takes more than 1 or 2.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    its 2 and a half hours if you go through wittlesea and yea. Dont go through the yarra valley :
    Thank you ggrayggray. Yes, I have driven to Mount Buller several times over the years, for ski trips, when I was younger (those were the days). Have never been there for Summer, although I have driven to the Snowy Mountains before in Summer and had an insight into the vegetation and scenery.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    My feeling is that 4 reserves is too many. With only 5 rounds and your team wanting to do well, they would be lucky to get a game. The rules allow for four reserves, but realistically no-one takes more than 1 or 2.
    Jenni,

Indeed, I was somewhat surprised when I read the form that four reserves were allowed. When I informed Sam, he had a chuckle. This is chess, not rugby!!! (my words).

My thinking was at least one reserve or two at most, to give each reserve at least one game. Both reserves have experience in ACF rated tournaments.

However, the School Co-ordinator suggested that since we are allowed four reserves, two others may join with the understanding that they will not play, but can soak in the atmosphere. After all, we have a ski lodge! So, if we bring four reserves, I guess we bring four reserves, because we can. These kids will probably bring some custom to the Mercure, in terms of meals/drinks. I just have to bring a whistle to control them!

Thread Information