Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

youngest member on ACF

To the ACF committee,

Who has been the youngest member in the history of the ACF to serve on the committee of the Australian chess Federation?

Just interested and curious, that's all.

lost

Quote Originally Posted by lost
    To the ACF committee,

Who has been the youngest member in the history of the ACF to serve on the committee of the Australian chess Federation?

Just interested and curious, that's all.

lost

Hmmm I am not so sure who has been, but would the pictured very popular young gentleman be a part of the ACF team sooner rather than later?

https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Hmmm I am not so sure who has been, but would the pictured very popular young gentleman be a part of the ACF team sooner rather than later?

JaK,

I am just curious that's all. Would I be part of the ACF team. Not just yet but perhaps in 5-10 years time I may consider.

lost

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I don't know the answer and I'm not sure who might have sufficient records. I was 35 when first elected to the exec but I'm sure there have been much younger and suspect there would be several who were in their 20s. I think Nathan Stirling was younger than 35 when he was elected by National Conference and then immediately rolled by Council (or so the story goes - not sure exactly how that all happened.) [NB: See Denis's post below.]
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 03-04-2011 at 10:50 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I don't know the answer and I'm not sure who might have sufficient records. I was 35 when first elected to the exec but I'm sure there have been much younger and suspect there would be several who were in their 20s. I think Nathan Stirling was younger than 35 when he was elected by National Conference and then immediately rolled by Council (or so the story goes - not sure exactly how that all happened.)
    Thanks Kevin for you answer.

lost

Quote Originally Posted by lost
    JaK,

I am just curious that's all. Would I be part of the ACF team. Not just yet but perhaps in 5-10 years time I may consider.

lost
    lol was just looking for an excuse to publish your photo!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

I don't know the answer and I'm not sure who might have sufficient records. I was 35 when first elected to the exec but I'm sure there have been much younger and suspect there would be several who were in their 20s. I think Nathan Stirling was younger than 35 when he was elected by National Conference and then immediately rolled by Council (or so the story goes - not sure exactly how that all happened.)
    Nathan (then known as John) wasn't immediately rolled. He was President for some time and obtained a room at Sports House (part of an old Primary School) in Canberra for meetings. He chaired several meetings in Canberra - I was the ACTCA delegate and Gary Wastell used to attend plus others whose names I don't recall though I think Phil Viner was one. Susequently he was deposed and replaced by John Purdy. This was in the early 1980s.

I don't know the ages of recent Executive members but I'd be surprised if the founders did not qualify. The ACF was established in 1922 on the initiative of several including Cecil Purdy (born 27 March 1906) and Gary Koshnitsky (born 6 October 1907) making them 26 and 25 yo respectively in the year of its formation. Purdy was the first Secretary. I think there was a Treasurer but there was no President until the 1970s.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

or 15 or 16 years old, or is something else wrongly dated

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    or 15 or 16 years old, or is something else wrongly dated

That's interesting. The birth dates came from Wikipedia, the ACF founding date from memory (based on an article I read) but I'm sure it's right - 2 years before FIDE was formed. The bad maths was mine. I'll look further into this and report progress on the next day of sitting.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

I can confirm the ACF existed in 1924 as a meeting held by it was discussed by Edwin Ingledew at the inaugural Chess Association of Tasmania (later TCA) meeting in that year. So the formation date of 1922 seems correct.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    lol was just looking for an excuse to publish your photo!
    Well that is a good enough excuse JaK.

lost

CC FIDE Master
    I was the VCA delegate on the ACF council when I was about 15 or 16. I might have held other roles as well...I can't recall specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru
    I was the VCA delegate on the ACF council when I was about 15 or 16. I might have held other roles as well...I can't recall specifics.
    that was when you were in their good books

lost uses the word "committee" but I am unsure whether he means Executive or Council.

CC International Master
    lost uses the word "committee" but I am unsure whether he means Executive or Council.
    Hi Kevin,

I refer to both the Executive and the Council.

lost

Thread Information