Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ratings calculations (Elo, etc)

Is there any recommended web link I can visit that provides a semi-coherent (non-super-technical) description of how Elo ratings are calculated?

Happy to search this out my own, but I figured that I'll run into varying levels of understanding of how it all works and I don't want to absorb inaccurate information ...

Thanks,

Frosty
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I wrote a short article which compares Glicko and Elo. You can access it here

http://bjcox.com/downloads/glicko.pdf

It's is not very technical but might have the detail you're after.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC FIDE Master
    ^ Well I found the article very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    I wrote a short article which compares Glicko and Elo. You can access it here

http://bjcox.com/downloads/glicko.pdf

It's is not very technical but might have the detail you're after.
    Thanks Barry ... that's exactly the level of information I was looking for!

Regards,

Steve
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Dearest Bill,

I hope this post finds you and your family well, and your labours are being rewarded, by God. I have been keeping well, in spite of my mental handicap, and have been missing you greatly since last we met. Seeing you again as soon as the planets allow, will be a balm for this tired soul.

The specific reason for this correspondence, and I hope you think it not too forward of me, is to ask for your assistance in a scientific matter in which you are renown for your expertise. You will not be aware that in a few days, my family and I will be sojourning to the far reaches of Australis, not to return until al least early in the comming year. During that time, I am hoping to while away a few small interludes between frolic, exploring the nature of chess players performances and how they might be predicted. From our previous correspondence I know that you visit scant regard on such folly where it exceeds the doctrine of St Glicko, but I beseech you, grant me some small asistance. You have in your possession, data that no other man has seen, without which I am bereft of a compass.

There will presently be a PM in your mail box, with the details of the small favour I ask of you.

Yours in Chess and Gods good works,
    your loyal friend
    Matthew H.J. Sweeney
    Last edited by PHAT; 17-09-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Not that I take you post seriously but even if you are serious then given your totally abysmal behaviour to me over at least the past 18mths where you have made continually false accusations, indulged in beatups etc I have no intention of providing you with any information whatsoever.

You should of course be able to come up with a theory and generate test data to determine if the theory has even the slightest chance of having any actual validity. After that you can simply obtain crosstables for various tournaments from either the ACF bulletins or the NSWCA web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Not that I take you post seriously but even if you are serious then given your totally abysmal behaviour to me over at least the past 18mths where you have made continually false accusations, indulged in beatups etc I have no intention of providing you with any information whatsoever.

You should of course be able to come up with a theory and generate test data to determine if the theory has even the slightest chance of having any actual validity. After that you can simply obtain crosstables for various tournaments from either the ACF bulletins or the NSWCA web site.
    Yes I think it's all gone too far. I feel genuinely sick about the way I handled the discord last week no matter how you behaved, you didn't deserve such a stinging attack. I am genuinely sorry and though I can't really expect you to necessarily accept my apology, at least know that it's heartfelt.
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Hey Bill, I think Matt is serious. Just help him out a bit man.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    Yes I think it's all gone too far. I feel genuinely sick about the way I handled the discord last week no matter how you behaved, you didn't deserve such a stinging attack. I am genuinely sorry and though I can't really expect you to necessarily accept my apology, at least know that it's heartfelt.
    The personal abuse heaped on me regarding ratings is one thing.

Even though you had as far as I am concerned misrepresented the facts on numerous occasions you have pretty much restricted you attacks to the ratings.

On the other hand Matt has attacked the NSWCA, the ACF and myself relentlessly over the past 18mths based on mis-information, beatups and in some cases just straight untruths.

I wont be providing him with any information.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey Bill, I think Matt is serious. Just help him out a bit man.

AR
    No AR.
    He has subjected the NSWCA, ACF and myself to continually tirades of misinformation, beatups and abuse for over 18mths.
    His behaviour does absolutely nothing to improve Australian chess or even as he pretends chess administration.
    In fact when given the opportunity to contribute to chess in NSW he did absolutely nothing.

As such he will be getting no assistance from me. Anyway if he is as clever as he pretends then he can easily work on his theory as I described above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I thought you might have been more statesmanly than that. Lamenably. I was wrong. You have put your personal battles ahead of Australian Chess. For this you will be condemmed.

That is a horrendous amount of work that has already been collected and collated by the ACF. I would only be dupicating what already exists.

It appears that I will have to make application directly to the ACF for release of the information. I am sure it has more forsight than you have displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards

You can turn around, drop your strides and bend over for that particular individual, but all you will get for your prostrating yourself before a man of such character is the snearing smirk of an eletist thug.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney

You can turn around, drop your strides and bend over for that particular individual, but all you will get for your prostrating yourself before a man of such character is the snearing smirk of an eletist thug.
    No I haven't given up the cause, it's just I'm not accustomed to being so mean-spirited and it left a nasty taste in my mouth. Bill, it is the controlling that gets you into strife. If you relaxed a little life would become so much easier for you.
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

I thought you might have been more statesmanly than that. Lamenably. I was wrong. You have put your personal battles ahead of Australian Chess. For this you will be condemmed.
    Your behaviour on this board and prior to that on the ACF boards has been disgraceful.
    You have seen fit to make false and misleading cliams, you have abused both the NSWCA and the ACF.
    When given the opportunity to make a contribution you did nothing.
    If anyone would be condemned it is you.

That is a horrendous amount of work that has already been collected and collated by the ACF. I would only be dupicating what already exists.
    To test your theories you dont need the actual data.
    You can create test suites.
    Graham and I have done that numerous times.
    We have also used subsets of actual data for testing.
    As such you can use information available on the ACF and NSWCA web sites.
    The Acf master files have been available there every rating period for 3 mths with all the information you need.

It was only prior to actual implementation that we have tested against the complete actual data.

As for collating the data that has been done by Graham and I not the ACF.
    In fact all of the ratings code of the ratings application and the data structures housing it are of our own design. The development software used was purchased by Graham and I, not the ACF. As such the ownership of the application and the data structures is ours not the ACF's. If at some stage in the future the ACF Council should appoint new ratings officers we will gladly at that time provide the code and data to the responsible parties.

It appears that I will have to make application directly to the ACF for release of the information. I am sure it has more forsight than you have displayed.
    Given you disgraceful behaviour in the past and your complete lack of credability I seriously doubt they will force us to provide it.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 17-09-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm no elitist thug.
    You on the other hand have demonstrated repearedly that you are just a rude crude and vulgar do nothing individual.

You have been nothing but a complete disgrace since you first appeared on the BB.

I may not agree with David theories or his manner of misrepresenting facts but at least he doesnt see fit to heap scorn and abuse on all and sundry.

Thread Information