Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    In a recent email to the ACF, David asked them to look at the bigger picture.

Let us indeed look at the bigger picture, though one he would obviously like everyone to conveniently ignore.

Let us look at some of his previous actions.

1) Previously claiming on his website that he was an International Arbiter even though he was not.
    2) Setting up a schools competition and running it in opposition to the ACF's own Australian Schools Teams Championship. His reference to his interschool events as the National Interschool championship could easily to the uninitiated lead them into believing it was the official national school teams championship.
    3) Setting up a website www.chess.asn.au entitled "Chess Association of Australia Inc" and was advertising on that website Accredited Professional Chess Coaching courses. Again the uninitiated could be mistaken into believing it was the official website for the national chess body in Australia. In fact here on Chesschat whilst running for CV President in 2009 he said "Actually, that Association was created some years ago with the intention of competing with and eventually replacing the ACF."
    4) The last time he was on the ACF was during 2004 as the CV Delegate. At the ACF meeting in April he tried to change a number of the conditions for the upcoming Australian Junior and ASTC events. When asked if the state junior leagues (ACTJCL, NSWJCL, SAJCL) were aware of this he responded in the affirmative and a number of motions were passed that supported his changes.
    It was discovered in the following 24 hours that the state junior leagues were in fact unaware of his proposed changes and all the motions were then recisinded.

It is little wonder he lost the vote for ACF President back in 2005 22-0.

And David continues to wonder why people do not trust him.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I have generally restrained myself from making personal criticisms of you on this board over the past few years in view of our business relationship.

This sentense alone explains alot
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    This sentense alone explains alot
    I think you're reading into it something that's not actually there, but I can't tell which of the many plausible and equally silly insinuations you might be aiming for.

If you think I'm saying David's a hopelessly toxic twit and I only work for him because I need the money and don't think he's doing anything right then you're not even on the right planet.

If you think I'm saying that I keep my mouth shut to avoid biting the hand that feeds me you're wrong about that too. I bite far bigger potential hands in public on a routine basis.

If you think that David pays me to run tournaments so I won't diss him that's also wrong; indeed there have been so many tournaments here where I was the only available practical option, even though I do not drive and he had to pay half the GNP of Togo to get me from A to B minor in a taxi. (Which, by the way, shows his commitment to building chess, even in out of the way places, even if he makes a loss - a commitment that is thoroughly sincere and that has reaped great rewards for Tasmanian junior chess.)

Probably all these guesses are wrong and what you're getting at is something even sillier.

It just happens that I have some understanding of basic COI and of the way that when you're commenting on something you're conflicted about, it's easy to allow that conflict to steer you in the wrong direction. Even when you're aware of that and looking out for it, you can still overadjust. Usually more prudent to just stay out of it or restrict comments to uncontentious factual details.

Except that if David doesn't think that his COI re me encumbers him from including derogatory faint-praise silliness in his attack on the ACF (an attack clearly motivated by him getting the raspberry from the ACF on an issue I abstained on and he would have known I would abstain on) then all the reasons for caution except for self-interest have just flown out the window.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-03-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Oh, and this is a non sequitur.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru
    ....there are no dynamic, big picture, plan creating, inspirational people. This creates a culture of petty sniping [petty snipe removed -KB] and long, unproductive meetings.
    What creates long unproductive meetings has nothing to do with whether members are big-picture oriented or detail focussed. Quarterly phone hookups have been of around the same length more or less throughout my 11 years on Council whether the President was a big-picture type or not.

The main cause of overlong meetings in voluntary societies in general is waffle. Unlike written waffle (which nobody is forced to read) verbal waffle extends the meeting for everyone. Verbal wafflers come in all shapes, sizes and ages and have every possible view imaginable about the size of the picture.

The desire/ability of the chairman to control the length of the meeting is also an important factor.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-03-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Oh, and this is a non sequitur.

What creates long unproductive meetings has nothing to do with whether members are big-picture oriented or detail focussed. Quarterly phone hookups have been of around the same length more or less throughout my 11 years on Council whether the President was a big-picture type or not.

The main cause of overlong meetings in voluntary societies in general is waffle. Verbal wafflers come in all shapes, sizes and ages and have every possible view imaginable about the size of the picture.
    Some organisations have time limits on how long a person can hold the floor and a limit of how many people can speak on an issue. As long as allocating an overall total time that an issue may take. Gullotine finish I suppose it could be called.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Some organisations have time limits on how long a person can hold the floor and a limit of how many people can speak on an issue. As long as allocating an overall total time that an issue may take. Gullotine finish I suppose it could be called.
    Yes. In my experience this doesn't always work too well - usually ends up with a motion being moved to extend the limits. Good for progress-association type situations where you don't want some random windbag blabbing on all night.

We have other chess entrepreneurs but I can't remember any bad vibes about them (Parr, Jones, Gardiner)

Vice President Kevin Bonham (TAS)

At least you got it in print whilst it still looks good - the rating I mean

Only good in the sense of being palindromic AC. Now cease making inane off-topic comments on this thread or you'll be missing from its cast.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-03-2011 at 09:12 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Lets make things concrete (since we got almost all of the ACF board memebers viewing/contributing to this thread). What are the 3 main achievements that ACF would like to credit itself with..say for the period of 3 years And what are the 3 tasks they are striving to achieve over the next 3 years.

Expected Responses: 1) We are writing constitution 2) We are writing something about something 3) We now update website once every 3 years as opposed once every 25 years as previously 4) we have meetings where we talk about chess in Australia 5) When you were ACF tournament organiser why didn't you do more 6) Why do not you (and others) join the ACF and do it 7) We are cool people who ride bikes, collect spiders etc. and you are stupid 8) you are stipid and Cordover is stupid and everyone else is stupid....so why should we bother to explain what we are doing 9) we decide who runs national championships, do ratings and other bookkeeping tasks and mostimportantly collect the money

OK all this was heard before! But can anyone list:

3 TASKS COMPLETED OVER 3 YEARS THAT HAVE MADE A SIGINIFICANT VISIBLE CONTRIBUTION TO THE AUSTRALIAN CHESS SCENE?
    Am i asking for too much (3 taks over 3 years)? - fine, lets make the question easy.
    HOW ABOUT 2 TASKS COMPLETED OVER 5 YEARS THAT HAVE MADE A SIGNIFICANT VISIBLE CONTRIBUTION TO THE AUSTRALIAN CHESS SCENE?

HOW ABOUT 1 TASK COMPLETED OVER 7 YEARS THAT HAVE MADE A SIGNIFICANT VISIBLE CONTRIBUTION TO THE AUSTRALIAN CHESS SCENE?

Michael, I'm not really that interested in engaging with posts that employ RANTING CAPITALS. I'd like to start with a question to you:

Do you subscribe to and read the ACF email newsletter?

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    I'd like to start with a question to you:

Dear Michael and Kevin.

Do you subscribe to and read the Australasian Chess magazine?

If not you are both missing some things!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Dear Michael and Kevin.

Do you subscribe to and read the Australasian Chess magazine?

If not you are both missing some things!
    Ah yes, like paid ads for the Toolbox in which every claim made is misleading if not outright false.

The question pertinent to this thread is whether by no longer subscribing to your magazine I am missing any relevant news about the ACF that I would not otherwise see. I greatly doubt this is the case.

After many years of subscription I stopped subscribing at the start of last year. This was something I was rather sad about doing since I do believe that print magazines are still important and I have tried to keep faith with whatever print magazine was available for the Aus Chess scene over a long period.

However my decision (or lack of a decision to resubscribe) was prompted by a number of things:

1. The fact that the magazine more or less always contained a large proportion of content that I had already read online.

2. The cost. I find it somewhat on the high side, and always have.

3. I was willing to ignore my concerns about 1 and 2 in the interests of keeping the faith with the idea of a national print magazine but some of Brian's sillier comments on here made me disinclined as a consumer to line his pockets unless I was completely convinced of the value of what I was buying.

Please note I am not encouraging anyone else to boycott it, just explaining why I no longer subscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Lets make things concrete ...
    Dear Michael
    Can we start with your ability to follow the birdy? It's very simple:
    • This thread was set up to ask who was missing
    • After posing the initial question of missing, it set about attacking who was present
    • The thread bungler who refused to answer his own question has since shifted goal posts by claiming age isn't relevant after going to great lengths to (unusually) include them, plus a bucketload of unsubstantiated and erroneous dribble.
    • You have since jumped in on the back end for some cheap slops rehashing yet another attack-the-ACF agenda.

You're more than entitled to do this any time, but please don't pass yourself off as someone following the birdy - coz you clerarly ain't.

I'd suggest the only thing likely to be 'concrete' out of this thread is the combination of David Cordover's dribble and your slops.
    Last edited by Basil; 25-03-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Grandmaster
    Michael, I'm not really that interested in engaging with posts that employ RANTING CAPITALS. I'd like to start with a question to you:

Yes I do. But from reading the newsletter - I did not notice anything happening. So may be you could just list some of the big developments ( the biggest ones)

Thread Information