Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4

    Longest checkmates!!

    Longest checkmates : The Complete set
    Interesting List!!
    http://www.chess2u.com/t179-longest-...plete-set#8278

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,124
    The longest mate 7 pieces 524 moves: KQN v KRBN

    Here is one place where computer chess analysis is way beyond human capacity. Most of the moves make no sense to me, but apparently they inexorably lead towards a forced win (ignoring the 50 move rule by a factor of 10). I would also like to know what that vocal music is.

    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    9,088
    I feel like saying that Black's 276th was wrong and led to the loss. I do like the music but have no idea what it is!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,206
    Chuck Norris had White
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  5. #5
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ballarat Victoria
    Posts
    89
    The nuisances of the game will never cease to amaze me.

    oh and I doubt this is the longest mate, just the longest mate to be discovered to date. When/if stronger table bases are created longer mates may be discovered.
    One day I'll put something clever here, but for now this will just have to do.

  6. #6
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    oh and I doubt this is the longest mate, just the longest mate to be discovered to date. When/if stronger table bases are created longer mates may be discovered.
    My understanding is that this (524 moves) is the longest possible forced checkmate with 7 pieces or less. There may be longer checkmate sequences found in the future but they will require 8 pieces or more.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ballarat Victoria
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    My understanding is that this (524 moves) is the longest possible forced checkmate with 7 pieces or less. There may be longer checkmate sequences found in the future but they will require 8 pieces or more.
    Right, I didn't notice the part about using seven pieces
    One day I'll put something clever here, but for now this will just have to do.

  8. #8
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    Right, I didn't notice the part about using seven pieces
    I might be wrong as I assumed there were complete 7-man databases with a distance to mate metric for every position. Not sure if this is true.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ballarat Victoria
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I might be wrong as I assumed there were complete 7-man databases with a distance to mate metric for every position. Not sure if this is true.

    No I'm pretty sure you're right, at the moment I think all 7 piece endings have been 'solved'

    What I meant before was that as stronger table bases come out I.e all 8 piece endings solved, then longer mates will probably be found.
    One day I'll put something clever here, but for now this will just have to do.

  10. #10
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by James Watson
    No I'm pretty sure you're right, at the moment I think all 7 piece endings have been 'solved'

    What I meant before was that as stronger table bases come out I.e all 8 piece endings solved, then longer mates will probably be found.
    Then we agree. I would be surprised if longer mates did not arise from an exhaustive search of 8-man positions.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Then we agree. I would be surprised if longer mates did not arise from an exhaustive search of 8-man positions.
    I would be surprised. 524 moves is actually quite a lot. Getting so bad coordination problems but still winning, might not be easier to obtain with 8-man positions. I am willing to bet you "David Levy" style that they won't find one the next 10 years.
    Chess well played is imagination, calculation, observation, experience and memorization in order of importance.

  12. #12
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Norgaard
    I would be surprised. 524 moves is actually quite a lot. Getting so bad coordination problems but still winning, might not be easier to obtain with 8-man positions. I am willing to bet you "David Levy" style that they won't find one the next 10 years.
    No because I don't know if they will have a distance to mate metric exhaustively completed for all 8-man endings in the next ten years. But I do think an exhaustive 8-man search (whenever that might be completed) will lead to a longer forced mate.

    Eight-man is just such a big increase in terms of the number of unique positions that I would be surprised that any 7-man ending gives a longer DTM than all 8-man endings.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ballarat Victoria
    Posts
    89
    The thing is, couldnt you take any position thats winning say a piece and pawn up and claim that its mate in x number of moves? or would this not count because there would be many many variations that lead to the same result.
    One day I'll put something clever here, but for now this will just have to do.

  14. #14
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by James Watson
    The thing is, couldnt you take any position thats winning say a piece and pawn up and claim that its mate in x number of moves? or would this not count because there would be many many variations that lead to the same result.
    You would have to know precisely the maximum number of moves that black is able to defend (forestall mate) given best play by both black and white. In most complicated positions this is simply not known as the number of variations is too great, or else the number is much less than 500.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  15. #15
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I would be surprised if longer mates did not arise from an exhaustive search of 8-man positions.
    Or 9 or 10. It is fairly trivial to get positions that are forced conversions to the 524 position. And here we go, an extra full move on the 524 position.
    FEN Viewer

    But it might not be easy to get many moves extra, via this method. (New puzzle challenge!?)

    And for the record; I claim longest known mate position in the world.
    Last edited by Aaron Guthrie; 08-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. forum statistics and oddities
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 975
    Last Post: 10-09-2021, 09:27 AM
  2. Longest possible chess game
    By michael.mcguirk in forum Computer Chess
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23-06-2020, 03:58 AM
  3. Longest Game
    By Bereaved in forum Games and Analysis
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM
  4. Longest ever decisive game, 295 (not 283!) moves!
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Computer Chess
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
  5. Longest threads
    By arosar in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 02:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •