Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Terry Pratchett appreciation thread

Look, this thread is long overdue, but what prompted me to start it was the following:

http://ausdwcon.org/

Nullus Anxietas 3: The Australian Discworld Convention 2011

Following on from the first two Australian Discworld Conventions in 2007 and 2009, both in Melbourne, there will be a third on the edge of Sydney, from Friday 8th to Sunday 10th April 2011. The venue is Panthers World of Entertainment, Penrith, NSW, with hotel accommodation on site. We're organising another excellent long weekend filled with fun, entertaining performances, fun, interesting discussions and wonderful people (and more fun). (Warning: May contain Terry Pratchett)
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I've been reading a bit of Pratchett lately currently filling in gaps in my Diskworld collection having just finished Maskerade and getting into Carpe Jugulum - which looks to be particularly appealing.

My observation is that the best Pratchett humour comes in the second half of the novel as they often rely of extensive set up which you just cannot do in the first 10 pages.

In Maskerade (for example) there is the passage...

She sat down on the stool and pressed a few of the cracked yellow keys, which moved with an audible creak. There where a couple of large pedals under the harmonium. You pedalled these and that worked the bellows and these spongy keys produced something which was to organ music what 'poot' was to cursing.

Maskerade, p. 312

But reading the preceding 311 pages is advised for the full effect.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Interview with Terry Pratchett taken from the 7.30 report, on humour, the fans, the Nac Mac Feegle, and the right to death.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2011/s3190827.htm

Watched a 2-part TV movie of Going Postal. This is the first Pratchett adaptation to the screen I have watched and I have to say I enjoyed it. Claire Foy did a great job of Adora Belle Dearheart. The movie was pretty true to the book, which I really loved. I think Moist is certainly one of his better recent inventions, and really enjoyed this book and Making Money.

The movie attracts a 7.7/10 IMDB rating which is a pretty solid effort. I wonder how heavily that is weighted towards the upper edge of the scale by Discworld fans, and I wonder how the movie stands in its own right with other viewers. Anyway, I will be seeking out another recent TV movie rendition of The Colour of Magic, which I hope will be just as good.

Today I started The Colour of Magic again, for the first time in a long time. A few years ago when I re-read all my Discworld books, my copy of that one was falling apart - being about 20 years old and a paperback - so I skipped it. No such problem with audio books however. Yes, I am that guy quietly giggling to himself inside the train on the way to work.

CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    I saw Colour.. and Postal.. on tellie.
    They were great. The Colour of Magic in particular is a comedy-fantasy epic .

Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus
    I saw Colour.. and Postal.. on tellie.
    They were great. The Colour of Magic in particular is a comedy-fantasy epic .
    Yes I've seen both of those. I hope they make more.

CC Candidate Master
    I believe they made Hogfather into a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwischenzug View Post
    I believe they made Hogfather into a movie.
    Indeed they did. They have made

Truckers (TV series)
    Johnny and the Dead (TV mini-series)
    Soul Music* (TV series)
    Wyrd Sisters* (TV mini-series)
    Johnny and the Bomb (TV series)
    Hogfather* (TV movie)
    The Colour of Magic* (TV movie)
    Going Postal* (TV movie)

* are set in Discworld

Sometimes if you wanted to go to the ball you had to be your own fairy godmother.
    - Unseen Academicals

RIP Terry Pratchett. Your brilliance lives on in your works.

Vale.

5 years. I miss you Terry. One of my fav's.

From A hat full of sky

Tiffany backed away, the panic filling her up. She bumped into witches hurrying towards the commotion and shouted at them:

‘You can’t stop it! You don’t know what it is! You’ll flail at it and wave glittery sticks and it will keep coming! It will keep coming!’

She put her hands into her pockets and touched the lucky stone. And the string. And the piece of chalk.

If this was a story, she thought bitterly, I’d trust in my heart and follow my star and all that other stuff and it would all turn out all right, right now, by tinkly Magikkkk. But you’re never in a story when you need to be.

Story, story, story…

The third wish. The Third Wish. The third wish is the important one.

In stories the genie or the witch or the magic cat… offers you three wishes.

Three wishes…

She grabbed a hurrying witch and looked into the face of Annagramma, who stared at her in terror and tried to cower away.

... ‘Quick, Annagramma! What’s the third wish? Quickly! When you get three wishes, what’s the third wish!’

Annagramma’s face screwed up into the affronted frown she wore when something had the nerve not to be understandable. ‘But why do—?’

‘Don’t think about it, please! Just answer!’

‘Well, er… it could be anything… being invisible or… or blonde, or anything—’ Annagramma burbled, her mind coming apart at the seams.

Tiffany shook her head and let her go. She ran to an old witch who was staring at the commotion.

‘Please, mistress, this is important! In stories, what’s the third wish! Don’t ask me why, please! Just remember!’

‘Er… happiness. It’s happiness, isn’t it?’ said the old lady. ‘Yes, definitely. Health, wealth and happiness. Now if I was you I’d—’

‘Happiness? Happiness… thank you,’ said Tiffany, and looked around desperately for someone else. It wasn’t happiness, she knew that in her boots. You couldn’t get happiness by magic, and that was another clue right there.

There was Miss Tick, hurrying between the tents. There was no time for half-measures. Tiffany pulled her round and shouted: ‘HelloMissTickYesI’mFineIHopeYouAreWellTooWhatIsTh eThirdWishQuicklyThisIsImportantPleaseDon’tArgueOr AskQuestionsThereIsn’tTime!’

Miss Tick, to her credit, hesitated only for a moment or two. ‘To have a hundred more wishes, isn’t it?’ she said.

Tiffany stared at her and then said, ‘Thank you. It isn’t, but that’s a clue, too.’

‘Tiffany, there’s a—’ Miss Tick began.

But Tiffany had seen Granny Weatherwax.

She was standing in the middle of the field, in a big square that had been roped off for some reason. No one seemed to notice her. She was watching the frantic witches around the hiver, where there was an occasional flash and sparkle of magic. She had a calm, faraway look.

Tiffany brushed Miss Tick’s arm away, ducked under the rope and ran up to her.

‘Granny!’

The blue eyes turned to her.

‘Yes?’

‘In stories, where the genie or the magic frog or the fairy godmother gives you three wishes… what’s the third wish?’

‘Ah, stories,’ said Granny. ‘That’s easy. In any story worth the tellin’, that knows about the way of the world, the third wish is the one that undoes the harm the first two wishes caused.’

From Night Watch:

Where was the law? There was the barricade. Who was it protecting from what? The city was run by a madman and his shadowy chums, so where was the law? Coppers liked to say that people shouldn’t take the law into their own hands, and they thought they knew what they meant. But they were thinking about peaceful times, and men who went around to sort out a neighbor with a club because his dog had crapped once too often on their doorstep. But at times like these, who did the law belong to? If it shouldn’t be in the hands of the people, where the hell should it be?
    &

“The feeling of the palace,” said Tilden slowly, “is that revolutionary elements may attack the Watch Houses.”

Vimes paused before answering. He’d bitten back the first answer. He contented himself with “Very well, sir,” and left.

He walked back down the stairs. The squad was standing around looking nervous.

"Now here’s what I feel is necessary. Take the shutters down, unbar the door, leave it open, and light all the lamps. Why isn’t the blue lamp over the door lit?”

“Dunno, Sarge. But what if—”

“Get it lit, Corporal. And then you and Waddy go and stand guard outside, where you can be seen. You’re friendly-looking local lads. Take your bells, but, and I want to make this very clear, no swords, right?”

“No swords?” Colon burst out. “But what if a bloody great mob comes round the corner and I’m not armed?”

Vimes reached him in two swift strides and stood nose to nose. “And if you have got a sword, what will you do, eh? Against a bloody great mob? What do you want ’em to see? 'Cos if they just see a couple of men in uniform with swords you’ll be in trouble, and if you draw those swords you’ll be in real trouble, and if by any chance, Corporal, you draw swords tonight without my order and survive, then you’ll wish you hadn’t done either, because you’ll have to face me, see? And then you’ll know what trouble is, ’cos everything up until then will look like a bleedin’ day at the soddin’ seaside. Understand?”

Seems timely.

BBC Radio adapation of Night Watch: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010ns71

Opps not currently playable. Maybe Small Gods instead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b1p28
    Last edited by Blunderbuss; 04-06-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Not currently available

Thread Information