US Chess Fed rating compared to ACF rating for pairings

G'day All,

I have a player entering our tournament, he has a US rating of about 1750 and that has not been updated in about 8 years , provisional ACF rating should I give him.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Sorry about starting a new thread, I could not find an old one to suit.

CC International Master
    I would recommend giving him a rating of 1650. Usually a player's USCF rating is 100-150 points higher than their FIDE.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dyer
    G'day All,

I have a player entering our tournament, he has a US rating of about 1750 and that has not been updated in about 8 years , provisional ACF rating should I give him.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Does he have a FIDE rating? If he does use that!!

lost
    Last edited by lost; 11-02-2011 at 08:06 PM.

G'day All,

Cheers,
    Jeff

Convert US rating to ACF and then ask the anti-ACF whining schleps to advise you and publish their answers here. Should be fascinating reading.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

G'day All,

If it is just a one division swiss, then I usually just stick them in with whatever rating I can find for them.

So if 1750 US is the best you can find, then use that. If he is over-rated, then at least he will be in higher rating groups and will not deprive accurately rated people with a potential prize.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I also find USCF ratings somewhat inflated.

Probably a player whose rating is ported in from another system should be ineligible for ratings prizes anyway. An exception could be made for FIDE ratings since a FIDE rating is used to seed an ACF rating for a player who doesn't already have one.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

The rule-of-thumb used to be ACF = USCF - 200

Thanks for the response, quite varied.

I have now looked him up on the USCF website.

http://main.uschess.org/assets/msa_j...n.php?12716872

It appears that what ever we think of the US ratings VS ours won't matter too much. His rating is based on 16 games, 11 of them in Dec 1997, and 5 of them in June 2010 (with a 250 point jump). So even by US standards his rating is not reliable.

I still have a bit of time to think about how I'll treat his entry. At the moment I have him down as 1600, but I'm think of revising this back up towards his USCF rating.

Cheers

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Given the data there I would put him in at his current USCF rating; he may even be stronger than that.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information