Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I agree that the information does bias the response. But as it is in fact true that Australia Day has not always being held on the current date, presumably providing this information gives a better guide to what the response of an informed voter will be.
    Perhaps, but voters will never all be informed so from the perspective of a claim about what voters think, it is irrelevant.

The other problem is that being informed about one fact doesn't make a voter fully informed about a debate. You could feed the same voter information about - for instance, the feelings of people who thought Australia Day being on 26/1 was very important, traditions attached to that particular day and so on and they might change their mind. Then you could show them objections from Indigenous groups and they might change their mind back again. So what you're getting in the poll is information about the responses of voters who are partly informed.

I'm sure that Essential will poll this question again in the near future, but did they ask how strongly people were attached to the current date? I suspect that there might be a majority opposed to changing it, but I doubt that there is a majority (perhaps a plurality) who are strongly opposed - as long as the new date continues to be a public holiday, of course.
    That's correct. Opposition to change in the 50s and strong opposition in the mid-30s. Essential's panel isn't necessarily representative but I suspect the major pollsters would get similar.

Why Australia Day survives, despite revealing a nation’s rifts and wounds
    The Conversation

...Australia Day is, among other things, a seasonal festival, like May Day is to the northern spring. Many, perhaps most, Australians are no more likely to reflect deeply on its historical significance than maypole dancers are inclined to ponder phallic symbolism. Some would have difficulty naming the historical event that Australia Day commemorates, the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788. If pressed, they might tell you it was when Captain Cook turned up at Botany Bay. ...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    What you did witness was...citizen who respects the laws of the country complaining about citizens who do not. It is indeed Hillarious how you and many others put blind eye to activities that should be acted upon.
    I don't think it's a case of an indifferent blind eye turning.

It's just that certain people rightly or wrongly feel guilty about what their ancestors did to indigenous people.

This guilty attitude forces them to bend backward in order to accommodate all sorts of behaviour on behalf of the aboriginals.

In fact the indigenous people are the most privileged group in our society.

They just take advantage of that and apply their untouchable status in every aspect of life.

In many cases they do not respect the law. The law respects them.

The people who set 26 of January as a date to celebrate the national anniversary of our nation
    were much more sensitive in patriotic sentiments and knew our history much better than the generally confused trendy café late
    hanger-on leftards.

Long live January 26!
    The proud Aussie day!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    I don't think it's a case of an indifferent blind eye turning.

It's just that certain people rightly or wrongly feel guilty about what their ancestors did to indigenous people.

This guilty attitude forces them to bend backward in order to accommodate all sorts of behaviour on behalf of the aboriginals.

In fact the indigenous people are the most privileged group in our society.

They just take advantage of that and apply their untouchable status in every aspect of life.

In many cases they do not respect the law. The law respects them.

The people who set 26 of January as a date to celebrate the national anniversary of our nation
    were much more sensitive in patriotic sentiments and knew our history much better than the generally confused trendy café late
    hanger-on leftards.

Long live January 26!
    The proud Aussie day!
    Wow Fantastically Well-said!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    But I am simply entertained how the question ''Is anyone above the laws of Australia or not?'' - Does not get a response!

But I am simply entertained how the question ''Is anyone above the laws of Australia or not?'' - Does not get a response!
    Your unsubstantiated anecdotes simply carry no evidentiary weight and do not warrant comment

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    What you did witness was...citizen who respects the laws of the country complaining about citizens who do not. It is indeed Hillarious how you and many others put blind eye to activities that should be acted upon.
    I'm not turning a blind-eye, I just have simply seen no evidence other that your anecdotes which in the past have proven to be less than reliable.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Actually I responded to you on the other thread you raised this "incident", to the effect that if the events happened as described then I am certain that the attending police officers had a better grasp on the situation than you, and that the action they took was undoubtedly more suitable than the ones you would have had them take.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Ok...lets simplify the question:

No incidents to consider...a general question ''Is anyone above the laws of Australia or not?'' ''Should the same laws apply to all Australian Citizens''?

CC Grandmaster

Ok...lets simplify the question:

No incidents to consider...a general question ''Is anyone above the laws of Australia or not?'' ''Should the same laws apply to all Australian Citizens''?
    I suspect the answers are obvious but would be interested to see what you come up with.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

... ''Should the same laws apply to all Australian Citizens''?
    Absolutely. Police should not employ racial profiling on the beat - racial profiling is racist. Then we might see racially-balanced prison populations. Or are you suggesting that different laws should apply to non-citizens?

https://newmatilda.com/2018/01/22/th...e-in-melbourne

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Absolutely. Police should not employ racial profiling on the beat - racial profiling is racist. Then we might see racially-balanced prison populations. Or are you suggesting that different laws should apply to non-citizens?

https://newmatilda.com/2018/01/22/th...e-in-melbourne
    I am suggesting same laws to everyone..would you agree?

I am suggesting same laws to everyone..would you agree?
    That's better - you started off saying 'Australian citizens", not everyone.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    That's better - you started off saying 'Australian citizens", not everyone.
    I mean citizens and residents. Of course those who are not PR or Citizens can and should be simply sent out! Thats what many other countries do to criminals.
    Ok lets simplify it even more: Do you think Laws of Australia should apply to both Indigenous Australians and Other Australians? .
    Example: for Armed robbery/selling drugs/sexual abuse - should it matter whether the person is indigenous or not?

Thread Information