Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

swiss perfect database importing

I have noticed on the swissperfect website that it is possible to import the whole acf ratings into a new tournament database. I have created a new tournament as the directions give. I have done everything they say to do as far as i can tell but i cant make it work.

I have downloaded the sept masterfile on to my computer as requested.

Has anyone actually done this before? If so, did they have any problems? Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Has anyone actually done this before?
    Of course it's been don before. How do you think the tourney organisers do it?

Describe everything you're doing in detail - then we can help you.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Of course it's been don before. How do you think the tourney organisers do it?

Describe everything you're doing in detail - then we can help you.

AR
    actually most organisers i have seen just manually import the names from the rating list by typing in the names, not by importing the whole acf rating master list. I am sure that if what i was asking was a simple request, Bill would have replied already.

CC FIDE Master
    As Arosar already posted, when you're seeking help to find out why something isn't working, the first thing you should do is post a detailed description of the procedure you're actually following. That way those familiar with the procedure will have a better chance of figuring out where you're going wrong.

I'm not personally familiar with SwissPerfect.

I have noticed on the swissperfect website that it is possible to import the whole acf ratings into a new tournament database. I have created a new tournament as the directions give. I have done everything they say to do as far as i can tell but i cant make it work.

Has anyone actually done this before? If so, did they have any problems? Can anyone help?
    I am using the June masterfile from the ACF Website, as prepared for use in Swiss Perfect, for the current ACT Championship. Not having used it before, I had no idea to go about doing this and, to boot, I am a Mac user usually

I simply moved the downloaded masterfile into the SP98 folder and bingo it all worked! You click on "Import New" when adding a new player and then follow the instructions. There is a fair bit of rigmarole to go through but it saves lots of time in the longrun and works better, so it seems to me, if you are adding a lot of players at the one time.

Denis Jessop

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Not having used it before, I had no idea to go about doing this and, to boot, I am a Mac user usually
    In case a anyone needs to know, SwissPerfect runs on Macs using VirtualPC. I have done this.

Thats because it would appear that you are not even close to doing it correctly.

The instructions on the SP website for importing are wrong. Having just looked at them They would appear to have been wrong since early 2001 if not before.

After creating a new empty tournament file you need to go to the options menu item and select Import setup.

This opens a dialog box where you have to navigate to your downloaded (after you unzip it) acfmast.trn file for normal ratings or acfrapid.trn file for rapid ratings and select the relevant one. To be able to see the relevant files the pb]Files of Type[/b] box must say SwissPerfect (*.trn).

N.B. The current September 2004 ACF master Swiss Perfect trn files distribured as zip archives not yet not available on the ACF web site.

Having selected the relevant file a mapping dialog box then opens.

Now included in the zip is a file called import_readme.

This tells you what needs to be completed in the mapping dialog box.

It says:
    Code:
    When importing ACFMAST.TRN into Swiss Perfect the field names need to be as follows:

Surname 	: SURNAME
    First Name 	: FIRSTNAME
    Intl Id 	: INTL_ID
    Local Id	: LOC_ID
    Federation	: FEDER
    Club		: CLUB
    Rating Intl	: INTL_RTG
    Rating Loc.	: LOC_RTG
    Title		: TITLE
    Sex		: SEX
    Birth Date	; BIRTH_DATE
    Format		: yyyy-mm-dd

Make sure the First name is part of Surname field in NOT checked.
    After completing the mapping and before hitting the ok button press the Save Mapping As .. button and eneter a name e,g, ACF.

Now you are all set to go andimprt the names into the emptry tournament.

Just go to Import under the Player menu and you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    In case a anyone needs to know, SwissPerfect runs on Macs using VirtualPC. I have done this.
    Yes I've run it that way on my Apple laptop for ages.
    It works well.

actually most organisers i have seen just manually import the names from the rating list by typing in the names, not by importing the whole acf rating master list. I am sure that if what i was asking was a simple request, Bill would have replied already.
    Actually no Bill wouldnt have replied already because I only just read it.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    This opens a dialog box where you have to navigate to your downloaded (after you unzip it) acfmast.trn file for normal ratings or acfrapid.trn file for rapid ratings and select the relevant one. To be able to see the relevant files the pb]Files of Type[/b] box must say SwissPerfect (*.trn).

N.B. The current September 2004 ACF master Swiss Perfect trn files distribured as zip archives not yet not available on the ACF web site.

Having selected the relevant file a mapping dialog box then opens.

Now included in the zip is a file called import_readme.

This tells you what needs to be completed in the mapping dialog box.

It says: ...

After completing the mapping and before hitting the ok button press the Save Mapping As .. button and eneter a name e,g, ACF.

Now you are all set to go andimprt the names into the emptry tournament.

Just go to Import under the Player menu and you are good to go.

Is it any wonder that the general public think software manuals are written by aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Is it any wonder that the general public think software manuals are written by aliens.
    Yes, Given that the author of Swiss Perfect is the designer of the .trn file format then the need for a mapping dialog box should be completely unnecessary when the import file is a .trn file.
    Unfortunately because he does no automatically include all th mappings for the .trn file import then the mapping is absolutely necessary to get it to work correctly.
    Why this should be the case amazes me. To me its an oversight in design.
    The author would no doubt claim "specification".

ok seems to work now, do you know when the september files will be available to use on swiss perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Yes I've run it that way on my Apple laptop for ages.
    It works well.

So have I but currently I am also running it on a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP

Denis Jessop

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    So have I but currently I am also running it on a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP

Denis Jessop
    i take it you are not impressed with that result

CC Rookie

me or swissperfect with probs ?

is it me or ...
    whenever I start importing players it always says I have no index file and do I want to create one ?

and I just had a quick scan of the site - didn't see any instructs for importing - there was some help and faq at some stage I am almost sure. Is it too late in the night

ta

Thread Information