Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103
  1. #1
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    38

    ACF structure (was 2005/6 Presidency)

    From the August 25 ACF newsletter (#279):

    "Call for nominations for ACF President: The annual National Conference of the Australian Chess Federation (ACF), amongst other matters, will also in each alternate year, elect members of the ACF Executive. The next annual National Conference, which will be held on 06 January 2005 during the Australian Open, will thus need to elect members of the ACF Executive, including the ACF President. Nominations for other members of the ACF Executive, unlike the nominations for the ACF President, can be received up to the time the election to fill each office is due to be held.

    The ACF Constitution specifies that candidates for ACF President shall be limited to persons who have "advised the Federation in writing of their willingness to serve as President, [with] such advice having been received by the Federation not less than ninety days before the date on which the Annual National Conference at which elections are due is scheduled to start". The ACF’s rules regarding the election of the ACF president may be viewed at the ACF web site www.auschess.org.au/constitution

    Pursuant to the ACF Constitution, nominations are now called for the post of ACF President.

    How to submit your nomination:

    You can submit your nominations by email or hardcopy. The email address for all nominations is jeydh4@hotmail.com

    Should you be unable or not wish to transmit via email, the address for all correspondence is:
    Jey Hoole, ACF Secretary, PO Box 308, Strathfield NSW 2135.

    The deadline for the submission of all nominations is 30 September 2004. All nominations will be formally acknowledged with 72 hours. If you have not received an acknowledgment of your application by this time, please contact me.

    If you have any queries or seek further clarification please contact me on 0411 062160, or (02) 6264 2462.

    - Jey Hoole, ACF Secretary"

    Similar notices have been included in subsequent newsletters.

    It's nice to see the ACF Secretary bringing this important business to everyone's attention and 30 October is a good, round, end-of-the-month date, but, by my calculations, "ninety days before the date(of) the Annual National Conference" is actually Friday, 8 October 2004.

    How, then, are nominations received from 1 October to 8 October to be treated?

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatus
    It's nice to see the ACF Secretary bringing this important business to everyone's attention and 30 October is a good, round, end-of-the-month date, but, by my calculations, "ninety days before the date(of) the Annual National Conference" is actually Friday, 8 October 2004.

    How, then, are nominations received from 1 October to 8 October to be treated?
    should the date i have coloured be 30 september?

  3. #3
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatus
    It's nice to see the ACF Secretary bringing this important business to everyone's attention and 30 October is a good, round, end-of-the-month date, but, by my calculations, "ninety days before the date(of) the Annual National Conference" is actually Friday, 8 October 2004.
    You mean 30th September in the above.

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatus
    How, then, are nominations received from 1 October to 8 October to be treated?
    As valid as they meet the constitutional requirement.

    I dont suppose you bothered to bring this to Jey's attention by actually contacting him?

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Denis_Jessop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You mean 30th September in the above.


    As valid as they meet the constitutional requirement.

    I dont suppose you bothered to bring this to Jey's attention by actually contacting him?
    I should mention that this matter had come to my notice a few days before the first of these posts and I have already drawn the matter to Jey's attention. Also, I have pointed out that formal invitations to nominate for the other Executive positions should have been called for (that was implied in the original notice) even though they don't close until the date of the election. Moreover, if no nominations for President are received by the 90-day deadline, nominations for that position remain open until the date of the election. But, if one is received, that person becomes President-elect and, as I read the Constitution, if more than one is received by the 90-day deadline, an election is held at the Conference, confined to those nominees.

    I understand that a revised advertisement will appear shortly.

    Denis Jessop

  5. #5
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    I should mention that this matter had come to my notice a few days before the first of these posts and I have already drawn the matter to Jey's attention. Also, I have pointed out that formal invitations to nominate for the other Executive positions should have been called for (that was implied in the original notice) even though they don't close until the date of the election. Moreover, if no nominations for President are received by the 90-day deadline, nominations for that position remain open until the date of the election. But, if one is received, that person becomes President-elect and, as I read the Constitution, if more than one is received by the 90-day deadline, an election is held at the Conference, confined to those nominees.

    I understand that a revised advertisement will appear shortly.

    Denis Jessop
    Is any update available on these Executive positions? Like, who is standing for what position at this stage?

    starter

  6. #6
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Is any update available on these Executive positions? Like, who is standing for what position at this stage?

    starter
    There were no nominations prior to the October deadline.
    Of course people can be nominated for them at the national conference.

  7. #7
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    There were no nominations prior to the October deadline.
    Of course people can be nominated for them at the national conference.
    I had thought that Denis Jessop and "he who cannot be mentioned" had nominated for the position of President.

  8. #8
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    I had thought that Denis Jessop and "he who cannot be mentioned" had nominated for the position of President.
    I took it starter was referring to the other positions of Deputy President, Secretary, treasurer and the two Vice President positions.
    After all it was abundantly clear that there had been two nominations for the Presidency hence his possibly referring to that made no sense.

  9. #9
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I took it starter was referring to the other positions of Deputy President, Secretary, treasurer and the two Vice President positions.
    After all it was abundantly clear that there had been two nominations for the Presidency hence his possibly referring to that made no sense.
    I didn't see it that way (and I am sure most others would agree with me).

    Then again, Bill is always right, aren't you Bill?!

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    I didn't see it that way (and I am sure most others would agree with me).

    Then again, Bill is always right, aren't you Bill?!
    sorry Paul, but i had taken it to mean the other positions not including President

  11. #11
    Mr Bulldogs Paul S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    sorry Paul, but i had taken it to mean the other positions not including President
    Looks like Bill has some company!

    A minority of 2 that are "correct", while the rest of us are wrong!

  12. #12
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Looks like Bill has some company!
    It looks like you have no company.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    A minority of 2 that are "correct", while the rest of us are wrong!
    Why do you assume we are a minority of 2.
    The majority probably understood exactly what starters question was getting at and therefore made no comment.

    It is far more likely you are a minority of one.

    After all the nominations for president were explicitly mentioned in the ACF bulletin immediately following the cut-off date.
    Therefore unless starter was being a total moron (and he hasnt demonstrated that yet) then it made no sense for him to be asking about the presidentail nominations at all.

  13. #13
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,058

    When does the campaigning start?

    Hey Bill - any statement from the ACF Presidential candidates about their policies and plans for the future? What information will we receive before we give you (and other NSWCA delegates) voting instructions at the NSWCA AGM?

  14. #14
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Hey Bill - any statement from the ACF Presidential candidates about their policies and plans for the future? What information will we receive before we give you (and other NSWCA delegates) voting instructions at the NSWCA AGM?
    I have not seen any.
    Of course the AGM attendees can give an indication of how they feel but they cannot give any voting instructions as any motions from the floor of the NSWCA AGM are not binding on Council as per the NSWCA Constitution.

    Of course I suspect you already knew that.

  15. #15
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I have not seen any.
    Of course the AGM attendees can give an indication of how they feel but they cannot give any voting instructions as any motions from the floor of the NSWCA AGM are not binding on Council as per the NSWCA Constitution.

    Of course I suspect you already knew that.
    I recall a discussion as to whether Amiel was franchised or disenfranchised on this issue.
    Now looks like none of Welsher chess community are franchised, save for the Buller-goers?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •