Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Johny Bolens

  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,969

    Johny Bolens

    I was looking at one of my games in the analysis room during the Aus Open Championship, when he came next to me and suggested a few moves for both myself and my opponent, moves which for my level of play should at least classified as brilliancies.
    The guy has a sharp practical mind a unique, yet comprehensible way of getting his message through!
    I liked him and watched him during play in the Blitz tournament.

    http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...ACHARACTER.jpg

    He (right with white polo shirt on the picture) was involved in a minor dispute with the arbiters (Charls and Ron) who made it clear that he was wrong and his opponent had not played a Pawn in a position favourable for him!

    Despite the fact that he lost the particular game, he came back with a series of remarkable wins and in the end he collected his prize as shown below:

    http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...jak1/028-1.jpg

    Later on I saw him again in the analysis room where he kept on commenting on games while players of various strenghs seemed to be happy to listen to his advice and suggestions.

    Johny Bolens thanks for the assistance and good luck with your own games. Looking forward to see you again in Sydney!

    Cheers and good luck!
    Last edited by ER; 16-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,593
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    I was looking at one of my games in the analysis room during the Aus Open Championship, when he came next to me and suggested a few moves for both myself and my opponent, moves which for my level of play should at least classified as brilliancies.
    The guy has a sharp practical mind a unique, yet comprehensible way of getting his message through!
    I liked him and watched him during play in the Blitz tournament.

    http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...ACHARACTER.jpg

    He (right with white polo shirt on the picture) was involved in a minor dispute with the arbiters (Charls and Ron) who made it clear that he was wrong and his opponent had not played a Pawn in a position favourable for him!

    Despite the fact that he lost the particular game, he came back with a series of remarkable wins and in the end he collected his prize as shown below:

    http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...jak1/028-1.jpg

    Later on I saw him again in the analysis room where he kept on commenting on games while players of various strenghs seemed to be happy to listen to his advice and suggestions.

    Johny Bolens thanks for the assistance and good luck with your own games. Looking forward to see you again in Sydney!

    Cheers and good luck!
    He has won the Sydney Easter Cup a handful of times. He is the only player I have played where I admit I did not know much what was going on, but I had sort of excuses distractions as the DOP.

    But he was alway most helpful manually doing the draw and showing us options where he may have had a conflict of interest and let us make the decision as to whom he should play.

    And Ron Kite reakons he was mostly correct when he argued with the arbitars.

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,713
    I have played Johny Bolens twice, both in lightning tournaments, and each time I was well on top and got swindled and lost. He has an acute eye for swindles and traps and is clearly an excellent tactician.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,593
    he may be of limited resources but he would always buy the latest books to keep up to date, study them and sell at best price, a most dedicated player

  5. #5
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,936
    I boast Johny Bolens as close to one of the highest players I've ever beaten..... it was toukley several years ago..........

    Bolens,J - Parker,T [B00] 2006 Toukley Open, 12.02.2006
    PGN Viewer
     
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,593
    Johnny, must have arrived about an hour late like he usually does for far off places - that is the only way you would beat him. ha ha and even then I would give him the benefit of the doubt

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    In 2006 ANU he scored 6/7 (only losing to winner I.Rogers), beating on the way G. Xie and A.Toth
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

  8. #8
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    655
    I met him for the first time in Switzerland (Biel) in july 1986. Time goes...

    At that time he was selling books and after four days with discussions about the price we finally agreed and I bought "Simple Chess" by Michael Stean. For the moment I'm at page 29... Shortly after that sale he was beaten up and all his books were stolen. A very sad story.

    To be honest the other danes - we were six - didn't like him that much but I spoke a lot with him. So when I saw him in Canberra in 2000/01 I know I had met him before but couldn't figure where and when... Same happened in Penrith two years later... Finally in "Norths"/Cammeray when I spoke with Johny I started to use some of his quotes from 1986 and so... we talked about the good old days...

    PS: Sorry if that was to boring.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,969
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    I met him for the first time in Switzerland (Biel) in july 1986. Time goes...

    At that time he was selling books and after four days with discussions about the price we finally agreed and I bought "Simple Chess" by Michael Stean. For the moment I'm at page 29... Shortly after that sale he was beaten up and all his books were stolen. A very sad story.

    To be honest the other danes - we were six - didn't like him that much but I spoke a lot with him. So when I saw him in Canberra in 2000/01 I know I had met him before but couldn't figure where and when... Same happened in Penrith two years later... Finally in "Norths"/Cammeray when I spoke with Johny I started to use some of his quotes from 1986 and so... we talked about the good old days...

    PS: Sorry if that was to boring.

    Henrik, that's boring? that's australian chess history and Johny is one of its most colourful characters.
    He sold some books he won in various competitions here too and showed genuine interest to analyse with other people, asking them how they went etc.
    He is bit of an eccentric and you can hear various stories about him, but that adds to his mystique!!!
    I didn't see him in Parramatta earlier in the year and it's a pitty because I wanted to take some more pictures of him because I deleted the ones I had taken of him at Norths.
    I wish him all the best anyway!

    PS Thanks for the great story!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,593
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    I met him for the first time in Switzerland (Biel) in july 1986. Time goes...

    At that time he was selling books and after four days with discussions about the price we finally agreed and I bought "Simple Chess" by Michael Stean. For the moment I'm at page 29... Shortly after that sale he was beaten up and all his books were stolen. A very sad story.

    To be honest the other danes - we were six - didn't like him that much but I spoke a lot with him. So when I saw him in Canberra in 2000/01 I know I had met him before but couldn't figure where and when... Same happened in Penrith two years later... Finally in "Norths"/Cammeray when I spoke with Johny I started to use some of his quotes from 1986 and so... we talked about the good old days...

    PS: Sorry if that was to boring.

    Could he speak the language that Danes use? He has not let onto me his homeland yet?

  11. #11
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    75
    Speaking of Johny Bolens, chesscrazytalk.com has an interview with him in Episode 8 from the NSW Open- quite an interesting character!

  12. #12
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    655
    @ Antichrist

    He understands many scandinavian quotes - danish, swedish and norwegian are very similar languages - so I have always been sure that he has lived a (short) period in Norway or at least known a norwigian very well.

    At that time we spoke english together I remember. My english was at time much, much worse than it is now, so I had definately preferred to speak german...

    Btw at Norths, we found one of the scoresheets from the final (interesting) game between George Xie and Junta Ikeda and we watched/analyzed the game until the pricegiving.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,713

    Trent does the double against a NSW character

    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Johnny, must have arrived about an hour late like he usually does for far off places - that is the only way you would beat him. ha ha and even then I would give him the benefit of the doubt
    Not so - Trent beat him again at NSW Open - and I was at the board watching when Johny played an unsound sacrifice and ended up a piece down.
    Yes, JaK, Johny is a character. Every time I see him, except when I play him, he tries to sell me chess books! Ever since I bought adcent magazine off him (Chess, Dec 2007, featuring GM Larry Evans - RIP - on Fischer) he has hoped for a repeat sale but it has yet to happen.

    His health was not so good at NSW Open and nor was his performance. I hope he has recovered now.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,969
    Quote Originally Posted by aroniyang
    Speaking of Johny Bolens, chesscrazytalk.com has an interview with him in Episode 8 from the NSW Open- quite an interesting character!
    That's good news son and thanks, I am sure many people would be interested to listen to Johny! Also don't forget to advertise the news in the An Interview thread!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HELP!-Anyone know Johnny Bolens Phone?
    By John Curtis FM in forum Help and Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
  2. 2nd Coffs Harbour Open Nov 12-13th 2005
    By billross in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 24-11-2005, 06:05 PM
  3. Bolens wins Gosford Open
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 12:01 PM
  4. Bolens wins Laurieton Spring Open
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 08:01 AM
  5. Bolens wins Commonman in Wollongong
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-06-2005, 11:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •