Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

Queensland floods: effects on chess clubs, chess community responses

To all members of BCC,

I hope everything is ok up in Bundaberg and surrounding areas in such a tragic time of the year. I ust would like to say that I hope assistance comes available for the chess club from the Government to get the club bak up and running.

Now I would like to see the Australian Chess Community assist this club in getting back up in running with some financial assistane or even chess companies could supply one clock each to this club and a couple of boards each and if each state association could donate say $150 to the club to help with costs it would show the true spirit of helping out.

On top of this all State Associations should run a fund raiser event to support and donate the income received from entries to the club. If the individuals wanted to donate to the club as well it would be great as well. If there are individuals out there I would suggest contacting the CAQ for assistance on getting details to either 1. members of the club or 2. details to deposit the funds into CAQ bank to forward to BCC.

Let me know our thoughts on this idea and also put forward suggestions as well. Remember these people have nothing to do except go back to a home that really isn't in a good shape. So kids would want to learn something new and this is a good way to promote chess further to the community and gain new members.

lost

Premier's Flood Relief Appeal link

Nice idea, lost. As it might take a while to set up a specific chess based appeal, in the meantime here's the link to the Qld Premier's flood relief appeal: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

CC FIDE Master

Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by lost
    To all members of BCC,

Thank you for the thoughts but the Bundaberg Chess Club Inc has incurred no loss from the floods. The club meets for the first time for 2011 tonight

If any one wants to donate to the state flood appeal I am certain it would be appreciated by the flood victims all around the state

I hope everything is ok up in Bundaberg and surrounding areas in such a tragic time of the year. I ust would like to say that I hope assistance comes available for the chess club from the Government to get the club bak up and running.

Now I would like to see the Australian Chess Community assist this club in getting back up in running with some financial assistane or even chess companies could supply one clock each to this club and a couple of boards each and if each state association could donate say $150 to the club to help with costs it would show the true spirit of helping out.

On top of this all State Associations should run a fund raiser event to support and donate the income received from entries to the club. If the individuals wanted to donate to the club as well it would be great as well. If there are individuals out there I would suggest contacting the CAQ for assistance on getting details to either 1. members of the club or 2. details to deposit the funds into CAQ bank to forward to BCC.

Let me know our thoughts on this idea and also put forward suggestions as well. Remember these people have nothing to do except go back to a home that really isn't in a good shape. So kids would want to learn something new and this is a good way to promote chess further to the community and gain new members.

lost
    The Club has suffered no losses from the floods. The Club has its first meeting for 2011 tonight Wednesday

If any member of the chess fraternity would like to donate to the Premiers Flood Appeal then this would be the best way to help the many flood victims across the state

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Thread reorganisation

I have moved most of the posts dealing with the floods in general to the non-chess section as duplicate threads will keep springing up if the main thread is in a chess section. Posts specifically about known impacts on the chess community, impacts (or lack thereof) on clubs, what chessplayers can do to help etc should go here; general posts about the flood should go to the main thread now in non-chess. Note that some of the posts on that thread also mention chess clubs in Bundaberg, Rockhampton etc.

Posts about impacts on the Australian Junior (if any) should go to the Australian Junior thread.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 12-01-2011 at 02:27 PM.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    Nice idea, lost. As it might take a while to set up a specific chess based appeal, in the meantime here's the link to the Qld Premier's flood relief appeal: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html
    All we need to do is set up a rapid tournament somewhere and publicise it effectively. All money from the tournament will be donated. This will go to the clubs or clubs affected. Any club that is affected by the floods please leave a message on here or private message me.

lost

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Thanks Igor

I am in Sydney at the moment so all is well here. A couple of Qld friends here are okay as far as property is concerned as well (although I cannot speak for every QLD'er here).

We might have to stay here a little longer than expected, that is all.

My thoughts go to those badly affected. I only watched the news last night for the first time. It looks horrific.

Garrett.
    Garrett,

Do you know of any clubs that have been affected by the floods. If any could let me know this would be fantastic.

lost

Garrett,

Do you know of any clubs that have been affected by the floods. If any could let me know this would be fantastic.

lost
    As far as I know, no clubs have been affected by the floods! The floods in the CBD are 36 hours old. Nothing. The BCC hasn't convened for the year. If the situation changes we'll let you know. Thank you for your concern, but really, none of the chess clubs will need fundraisers, SES or boats.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Underpants
    As far as I know, no clubs have been affected by the floods! The floods in the CBD are 36 hours old. Nothing. The BCC hasn't convened for the year. If the situation changes we'll let you know. Thank you for your concern, but really, none of the chess clubs will need fundraisers, SES or boats.
    Captain Underpants,

Thanks for keeping me posted on this. If there is anything that Victorians can do for chess clubs or anything in general we will endeavour to do the best that we can to assist anyone at all in Queensland and this goes for players of QLD who could be affected in this terrible disaster.

lost

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Underpants
    The BCC hasn't convened for the year.
    ...and based on the modelling should be OK - though not far from the nearest flooding.

Thanks for keeping me posted on this. If there is anything that Victorians can do for chess clubs or anything in general we will endeavour to do the best that we can to assist anyone at all in Queensland and this goes for players of QLD who could be affected in this terrible disaster.
    If CAQ or if any of the clubs ask for assistance, we will certainly put some information out that help would be appreciated.

All CAQ affiliated clubs do not have a venue of their own, but either play at schools, or similar like premises. If some affected clubs did have their own premises, or equipment that was badly damaged, then it would certainly be a different situation.

Also some affiliated clubs do not have a club night, but concentrate on interschool chess, or sometimes running a weekender. If Toowoomba had a club night, then I could certainly imagine them needing assistance.

If any club was to be adversely impacted by the floods and needed assistance, then CAQ would also be more than willing to offer assistance. That is what CAQ is there for.

A quick run down on the set ups for each of CAQ affiliated clubs:

Code:
    Atherton Chess Club	7.00pm Thursdays Room 14, Community Centre		
    			Mabel St, Atherton

Brisbane Chess Club	7.00pm Thursdays Queensland Contract Bridge Club	
    			67 Ipswich Rd, Woolloongabba

Bullwinkle Chess Club	Wednesdays After Business Hours Three Monkeys Cafe 	
    			West End

Bundaberg Chess Club	6.30pm Wednesdays 					
    			U3A Rooms 80A Woongarra St Bundaberg	

Fernvale Junior Club	3.30pm Tuesdays Library, 				
    			Fernvale State School	

Gardiner Chess Club	Juniors 3.00pm - 6.00pm weekdays on school days 
    			and chess camps during school holidays
    			Seniors One-day tournaments, FIDE rated tournaments, 
    			weekenders and other open events. 11 Hardys Rd Mudgeeraba

Gladstone Mates Club	7.00pm on 2nd & 4th Thursdays of each month 		
    			10 Moura Crescent Barney Point
    Code:

Kings of Chess		11.00am - 3.00pm Saturdays Broadbeach Library, 			
    			61 Sunshine Blvd Mermaid Waters

Logan City Chess Club	7.30pm Fridays 						
    			Springwood High School(enter via Dennis Rd)
    			Junior Club 6.00pm Fridays (school term only)

Maryborough Junior Club	4.15 - 5.15pm Tuesdays 				
    			Maryborough High School Library, Kent St

Qld Womens Chess League	By arrangement	Gail Young

Redcliffe Chess Club	7.30pm Wednesdays Room R1 (near Chapel), 		
    			Grace Lutheran College Mewes St, Rothwell 

Southside Junior Club	7.00pm Fridays 					
    			Carindale Library Westfield Shopping Centre

Suncoast Chess Club	6.30pm Tuesdays 					
    			CWA Hall cr Main & Church Sts Buderim

The Gap Chess Club	8.00pm Fridays Room B6, The Gap State High School	
    			1020 Waterworks Rd, The Gap

Toowoomba Chess Club	7.00pm Wednesdays 					
    Toowoomba Junior Club 	4.00pm - 6.00pm Saturdays 				
    			Rangeville State School Library	

Townsville Chess Club	7.00pm Tuesdays Library, Pimlico State High School 	
    			8 Fulham Rd, Townsville

From looking at some of the photos on different websites, the biggest issue could be the venue for the 2011 Qld Open, which is currently scheduled for Sherwood.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    If CAQ or if any of the clubs ask for assistance, we will certainly put some information out that help would be appreciated.

All CAQ affiliated clubs do not have a venue of their own, but either play at schools, or similar like premises. If some affected clubs did have their own premises, or equipment that was badly damaged, then it would certainly be a different situation.

Also some affiliated clubs do not have a club night, but concentrate on interschool chess, or sometimes running a weekender. If Toowoomba had a club night, then I could certainly imagine them needing assistance.

If any club was to be adversely impacted by the floods and needed assistance, then CAQ would also be more than willing to offer assistance. That is what CAQ is there for.

A quick run down on the set ups for each of CAQ affiliated clubs:

Code:
    Atherton Chess Club	7.00pm Thursdays Room 14, Community Centre		
    			Mabel St, Atherton

Brisbane Chess Club	7.00pm Thursdays Queensland Contract Bridge Club	
    			67 Ipswich Rd, Woolloongabba

Bullwinkle Chess Club	Wednesdays After Business Hours Three Monkeys Cafe 	
    			West End

Bundaberg Chess Club	6.30pm Wednesdays 					
    			U3A Rooms 80A Woongarra St Bundaberg	

Fernvale Junior Club	3.30pm Tuesdays Library, 				
    			Fernvale State School	

Gardiner Chess Club	Juniors 3.00pm - 6.00pm weekdays on school days 
    			and chess camps during school holidays
    			Seniors One-day tournaments, FIDE rated tournaments, 
    			weekenders and other open events. 11 Hardys Rd Mudgeeraba

Gladstone Mates Club	7.00pm on 2nd & 4th Thursdays of each month 		
    			10 Moura Crescent Barney Point
    Code:

Kings of Chess		11.00am - 3.00pm Saturdays Broadbeach Library, 			
    			61 Sunshine Blvd Mermaid Waters

Logan City Chess Club	7.30pm Fridays 						
    			Springwood High School(enter via Dennis Rd)
    			Junior Club 6.00pm Fridays (school term only)

Maryborough Junior Club	4.15 - 5.15pm Tuesdays 				
    			Maryborough High School Library, Kent St

Qld Womens Chess League	By arrangement	Gail Young

Redcliffe Chess Club	7.30pm Wednesdays Room R1 (near Chapel), 		
    			Grace Lutheran College Mewes St, Rothwell 

Southside Junior Club	7.00pm Fridays 					
    			Carindale Library Westfield Shopping Centre

Suncoast Chess Club	6.30pm Tuesdays 					
    			CWA Hall cr Main & Church Sts Buderim

The Gap Chess Club	8.00pm Fridays Room B6, The Gap State High School	
    			1020 Waterworks Rd, The Gap

Toowoomba Chess Club	7.00pm Wednesdays 					
    Toowoomba Junior Club 	4.00pm - 6.00pm Saturdays 				
    			Rangeville State School Library	

Townsville Chess Club	7.00pm Tuesdays Library, Pimlico State High School 	
    			8 Fulham Rd, Townsville

Garvinator,

Thanks for this information. There have been reports that schools have been flooded badly by this natural disaster. I just hope that QLD chess isn't affected by this disaster. If there is anything Victorians can do please let us know Garvinator.

I wish QLD chess the best for this year and I hope QLD can find a venue for the QLD Open.

lost

Garvinator,

Thanks for this information. There have been reports that schools have been flooded badly by this natural disaster. I just hope that QLD chess isn't affected by this disaster. If there is anything Victorians can do please let us know Garvinator.

I wish QLD chess the best for this year and I hope QLD can find a venue for the QLD Open.

lost
    Ditto from me Garvin.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Time for an update.

Qld Contract Bridge Club is perfectly fine. Went and had a look at it today to confirm if it was fit for use for the Qld Australia Day Weekender.

Looking through the various flood websites, the Qld Open venue may have been spared. Hard to believe but the street is not marked on the flood maps.

The rest of that area is under water and some of that area is the hardest hit in all of Brisbane, so it would be a minor miracle if the Qld Open venue has been spared.

Hi Garvin !

Thanks for the updates. A couple of us are due to leave Sydney tomorrow lunchtime.

This afternoon I need to do some checking online to see if the trains will be running, if we can get over any bridges, if the Airport is above water, if the power is off in any suburbs, if there's food in the shops ...

Thread Information