Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2010/2011 Queensland flooding and cyclone

With all the reports of flooding across Qld, it appears that one of the regional towns where there is a chess club, Bundaberg has been hit hard.

It appears that quite a lot of Bundaberg is flooded, including the city centre. http://www.news-mail.com.au/photos/g...ter-10am&num=4 Some of these photos are taken from right in the middle of the city, near their CBD.

I drove through floods there in 1973 (maybe it was) - so not much has changed. I reverse back up the hill up bit for a run up, then hit the peddle and wham - hit the water like a surfer, was in night so was not even sure where the road was, if straight or not. But got through I did, was in a high van.

Praying for a quick and full recovery for Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Emerald etc.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC FIDE Master

Floods in Bundaberg

Hi

I arrived home in Bundaberg on New Years Day and yes the town has been hit hard. However things are starting to get back to normal. Many people have lost a lot with their homes being flooded.

The main areas of damage are in Targo Street area and over in East Bundaberg

Many businesses were flooded. Hopefully the Government will provide some financial assistance to the businesses to get up and running again

Also many householders need financial assistance

Some people are finding that their insurance companies are not covering them owing to some technicalities in the policies. I am following up with my insurance company RACQ to see if I would have been covered if I had suffered any damage

CC FIDE Master

Insurance from flooding

I quote from the News Mail Bundaberg on Saturday 1 January

"Ms Shaw said she spoke to her insurer Allianz Insurance yesterday when she was told that because the river had broken its banks, she would not receive any compensation. But if the flooding had have been caused by torrential rain, Allianz would have been able to provide an insurance payout.
    Not even the furniture or the clothes (are covered) she said"

So a good idea is to make enquiries with your insurance company to see exactly what is covered!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Menham
    I quote from the News Mail Bundaberg on Saturday 1 January

"Ms Shaw said she spoke to her insurer Allianz Insurance yesterday when she was told that because the river had broken its banks, she would not receive any compensation. But if the flooding had have been caused by torrential rain, Allianz would have been able to provide an insurance payout.
    Not even the furniture or the clothes (are covered) she said"

So a good idea is to make enquiries with your insurance company to see exactly what is covered!!!
    This is always the case and after every flood there is uproar coz they are not covered. I have lived in houses that got flooded and we never asked for insurance or govt help. The import thing was to get washing machines etc up out of harm

Hi

I arrived home in Bundaberg on New Years Day and yes the town has been hit hard. However things are starting to get back to normal. Many people have lost a lot with their homes being flooded.

The main areas of damage are in Targo Street area and over in East Bundaberg

Many businesses were flooded. Hopefully the Government will provide some financial assistance to the businesses to get up and running again

Also many householders need financial assistance

Some people are finding that their insurance companies are not covering them owing to some technicalities in the policies. I am following up with my insurance company RACQ to see if I would have been covered if I had suffered any damage
    I saw an article about this type of situation a few days ago in the Courier Mail.

It all comes from how insurance companies define a flood event. The difference between different policies is that some will only cover floods that started in the area of the policy.

So, if applied to Bundaberg, the rain storm that caused the flooding had to have occurred in the area of the policy. Some insurers do not cover flash flooding where the rain storm was hundreds of kms away and Bundaberg is receiving the flash flood downstream.

So it would seem for those who have an insurance scheme like above, those in Rockhampton could be in a lot of trouble as most of their flood has come from areas outside Rocky and the Fitzroy river is swollen due to rain run off.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Large insurance companies will sometimes bow to community pressure and make ex gratia payments for events not strictly covered by policies. This is what happened in the case of the Wollongong floods of August 1998 and the NRMA Insurance company.

At that time he story we got was water that comes down is storm damage and covered, water that comes up is flooding and not covered. However many policies holders whose claims were determined to be flood rather than storm damage were offered an ex gratia payment.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

In Queensland Suncorp is one of the few insurers, if not the only one, which covers all types of flood events, dating back to its govt-owned days

My insurance policy was due for renewal a couple of weeks ago. My insurer, Suncorp, which Ian correctly states covered me for basically everything to do with water (up, down, around, flood, flash, drains, storm) took the liberty of hiking my premium by 30%.

I took the liberty of shopping around and going with another insurer - RACQ. I quizzed RACQ on their storm/ flood policy and received basic cover similar to that described by Rincewind with an option to to add flood if I wanted it. I didn't - and pocketed the (substantial) difference.

Let's hope my self-insurance (based on being quite elevated) is justified.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Underpants
    My insurance policy was due for renewal a couple of weeks ago. My insurer, Suncorp, which Ian correctly states covered me for basically everything to do with water (up, down, around, flood, flash, drains, storm) took the liberty of hiking my premium by 30%.
    Suncorp does cover everything since changing their policy in 2008. So hence the rise in premiums because they now cover everything, whereas they would have had different policies for different rates of coverage.

CC FIDE Master

Racq

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Underpants

I took the liberty of shopping around and going with another insurer - RACQ. I quizzed RACQ on their storm/ flood policy and received basic cover similar to that described by Rincewind with an option to to add flood if I wanted it. I didn't - and pocketed the (substantial) difference.

Let's hope my self-insurance (based on being quite elevated) is justified.
    I checked with RACQ and my policy does not cover flood damage so I am investigating other alternatives. I guess it all comes down to cost and what you are prepared to pay. At present it appears RACQ is not giving flood cover on new policies taken out by Bundaberg Residents but this may change when they check flood levels in Bundaberg. We were not affected by the floods thank goodness

I read about a town planner up that way saying that a lot of the flooded homes are newish homes build lowly, that is without typical Qlder stilts of about 2 metres.

From what I seen of pics etc, the old stilted qlders were above the flood, though they may be cut off - or rather canal connected

I checked with RACQ and my policy does not cover flood damage ...
    Nor does mine, but I am covered for storm. This is fine by me (fingers crossed). My Suncorp policy covered both storm and flood, and charged 30% more for the privilege.

I'm glad to learn that you were all clear. Best wishes, H.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Candidate Master

Rocky in bad shape

From what I'm hearing, Rockhampton is under water and has been hit hard. They're saying it could be a long, slow road to recovery for the population. This is another large regional town (or small city, not sure which), a real tragedy.

I have very fond memories of Rockhampton from my days playing in the Qld Grand Prix circuit a couple of decades ago. Ian Murray and various other chess stalwarts live there and my thoughts and sympathies go out to them.

Whilst Rocky has been flooded before and the people there know the score, this is a pretty bad one and just because you are familiar with the risks and have seen floods before, it doesn't make it any less painful when your house and belongings get wrecked.

Best wishes and commiserations from Jean and myself to all the chessplayers of Rocky and the other flood ravaged areas in Qld. Hope you get back on your feet soon.

Thread Information