Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thought we went round this block before - Kramnik, because FIDE has forfeited the ability to run a credible WC through loss of support of the leading players, inadequacy of format, and sacking of a former champ (Kasparov) for reasons unrelated to chess.
    The organisation that arranged Kramnik's WC match doesn't even exist anymore, and Kramnik hasn't exactly shown any ability to find another route to organising a defence. It's nearly four years now with no defence.

I hereby declare the World Chess Championship vacant. All parties interested in the position should assemble at my place tomorrow to determine the title.

Pax

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    The organisation that arranged Kramnik's WC match doesn't even exist anymore, and Kramnik hasn't exactly shown any ability to find another route to organising a defence. It's nearly four years now with no defence.

I hereby declare the World Chess Championship vacant. All parties interested in the position should assemble at my place tomorrow to determine the title.

Pax
    you dont follow this too closely do you kramnik and leko are playing very soon for the first part of the reunification matches. The bidding process has also begun for kasparov v kasimdzhanov.

then the winners of these two matches play off for the classical official world championship.

Then after the classical world championship has been won, the cycle returns to the 3 year cycle of old.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pax

Pax
    What are you talking about? Leko and Kramnik are playing later this month in Switzerland.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    What are you talking about? Leko and Kramnik are playing later this month in Switzerland.
    i posted a very similiar quote before you

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    i posted a very similiar quote before you
    Yes, but I was more specific on timeframe and venue. If fact, if I had bothered to look it up at TWIC I could have been even more specific...

The Classical World Chess Championship takes place at the Centro Dannemann in Brissago, Switzerland September 25th - October 18th, 2004.

Account Permanently Banned

A list longer than 1 expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thought we went round this block before - Kramnik, because FIDE has forfeited the ability to run a credible WC through loss of support of the leading players, inadequacy of format, and sacking of a former champ (Kasparov) for reasons unrelated to chess.
    Apologies, Kevin. It was a rhetorical question. If I had thought for one minute you would address the question I would have re-phrased
    the original
    Btw, who is the world chess champion, in your opinion.

like this
    Btw, who claims to be the chess world champion?

starter
    ps Have we been around this block?
    Last edited by ursogr8; 05-09-2004 at 08:01 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    The guru isn't the only one puffing. From the All India Chess Federation homepage:

"We (AICF) have among our players the world champion (...)". I'm not sure, but which Indian player is currently the world champion?!.

Of course, the same article gives a new meaning to this thread's title a little later, when it states, that the AICF state federations and academies "conduct more than 35 National Championships every year in addition to numerous state championships(...)".

35 national championships every year! Anyone with less than 100 of those to his name need not bother mentioning them... Really, the guru is just a small fish :-)

A list longer than 1 expected.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_vee
    The guru isn't the only one puffing. From the All India Chess Federation homepage:

"We (AICF) have among our players the world champion (...)". I'm not sure, but which Indian player is currently the world champion?!.

Of course, the same article gives a new meaning to this thread's title a little later, when it states, that the AICF state federations and academies "conduct more than 35 National Championships every year in addition to numerous state championships(...)".

35 national championships every year! Anyone with less than 100 of those to his name need not bother mentioning them... Really, the guru is just a small fish :-)
    All

It is still an open invitation to give your best answer to the question I raised in quote #437, repeated here
    Btw, who claims to be the chess world champion?

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 08-09-2004 at 08:45 AM.

Perhaps the article is old. Anand was the bona fide world champion a couple of years ago. Some could argue he currently still has as much claim to that title as many of the people currently touting it.

35 per annum. That is a good ratio. However, considering the population differential winning just one of those "national" championships is more noteworthy than winning the Aust. Champs.

CC Candidate Master
    Perhaps the article is old. Anand was the bona fide world champion a couple of years ago.
    No, it's a recent article, posted maybe a few days ago.

CC International Master
    Is Anand still at the top of the Rapid rating list? Also I think at one point he headed, and perhaps still does, a combined rating list incorporating both forms.

Of course top of the rating list is not the same as "world champion" - though at a time when there is no universally accepted champion it's a bit easier to get away with trying to equate them.

Another possibility, perhaps more likely, is simply that when it was first written Anand was the FIDE knockout champion and it just hasn't been edited.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    Another possibility, perhaps more likely, is simply that when it was first written Anand was the FIDE knockout champion and it just hasn't been edited.
    Here's the article

It really doesn't seem to be written earlier, it's in reply to a very recent complaint at a tournament about a newly instated 10% prizemoney deduction that goes to the AICF

CC International Master
    In that case we come back to the same explanation as the original subject of this thread, either deliberate misrepresentation or marketing puff depending on your viewpoint. (In fairness to Anand he isn't the one making the claims.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    In that case we come back to the same explanation as the original subject of this thread, either deliberate misrepresentation or marketing puff depending on your viewpoint. (In fairness to Anand he isn't the one making the claims.)
    Aren't we jumping to conclusions? We are assuming they are talking about Anand, but he is not mentioned by name. Perhaps they have someone else in mind.

Seriously though, I think it is just an editorial mistake. They probably mean a World Champion, in the sense that Khalifman and Ponomariov are World Champions (once held the crown) rather than current World Champions.

I think part of the problem with FIDE's KO format of World Champion it tends to make too many World Champions and people tend to throw the title around a little too liberally. Of course, multiple claims to the crown from different lineage certainly exacerbates the problem.

Of course, multiple claims to the crown from different lineage certainly exacerbates the problem.
    One would hope that the GURU does not find some way through the 7 layers of separation; lest he add a new title.

Thread Information