Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Nswca Agm

2010 Nswca Agm

The 2010 NSWCA AGM was held earlier today.

The NSWCA Council for 2011 is:

Code:
    President			Bill Gletsos
    Vice President			Shane Burgess
    Secretary			Tom Accola
    Treasurer			Norm Greenwood
    Registrar			Peter Cassettari
    Tournaments Officer		Lou Damaschino
    Ratings Officer		        Vacant
    Publicity Officer		Trent Parker
    Club Liason			Stephen Roche
    Country Rep			Keith Farrell
    Communications Officer		Laura Moylan
    Webmaster			Vacant
    Member without portfolio	Vladimir Smirnov
    NSWJCL Rep			Richard Gastineau-Hills
    NSWCA membership fees remain the same as last year.

The NSWCA announced a profit of $4,251.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Did Peter Parr run for any positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    No.
    I was expecting at least a few years tenure with reforms of at least the rating system - that is if the state branch has any jurisdiction over it.

And maybe some incentive to improve numbers for state championship.

Could be a similar situation to Tassie re online chess and poker. I tried that poker, was begged to, what a load of boring rubbish.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I was expecting at least a few years tenure with reforms of at least the rating system - that is if the state branch has any jurisdiction over it.
    It doesn't really and in any case he didn't have the numbers to get his way on that issue anyway. He was able to get enough votes together to get himself elected President, but if he wanted to use that position to effect change in the area of ratings then he needed to also find supporters willing to run for enough positions to control the Council, which evidently didn't occur.

It doesn't really and in any case he didn't have the numbers to get his way on that issue anyway. He was able to get enough votes together to get himself elected President, but if he wanted to use that position to effect change in the area of ratings then he needed to also find supporters willing to run for enough positions to control the Council, which evidently didn't occur.
    Even if Peter was able to get a 100 percent NSWCA council that was in favour of protesting the Glicko system, all that could be done would be to make proposals to the ACF, and then convince the ACF council that changing from Glicko is required. The chances of that happening I think are about zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    Even if Peter was able to get a 100 percent NSWCA council that was in favour of protesting the Glicko system, all that could be done would be to make proposals to the ACF, and then convince the ACF council that changing from Glicko is required. The chances of that happening I think are about zero.
    I'm thinking that if a state really hated the rating system enough it could always take a step like refusing to submit any of its results for rating. Of course then the ACF could circumvent this to a degree by inviting organisers to submit their results to the ACF directly and rating them anyway - players would soon vote with their feet against the unrated events.

I'm thinking that if a state really hated the rating system enough it could always take a step like refusing to submit any of its results for rating. Of course then the ACF could circumvent this to a degree by inviting organisers to submit their results to the ACF directly and rating them anyway - players would soon vote with their feet against the unrated events.
    The older self-protected species players may not vote with their feet, they could take chance to enter and win titles and not lose any rating points. But the youngsters very well could.

Maybe there could be a new extra style of comp, an unrated one for seniors wanting to protect their ratings. A bit of farcade maybe but who cares, bums on seats and good ones at that. Maybe next Sydney Easter cup could be like that. I was going to organise a late SEC, maybe a Xmas one instead but will let slip in memory of Ernest who did it so many years. No wonder he said just have next year as well, maybe he was not feeling up to scratch.

Big shame about SIO if that is what occurred - that was top line comp, hope it repairs next year.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Did Peter Parr run for any positions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Yes, he ran for cover to hide from the embarassment of doing nothing all year.

Was accused by me of SIO sabotage for letting the Council defer discussion of SIO until 17 December 2010 when it will be too late for them to attract a good entry.
    Brian Jones was severely reprimanded by another NSWCA Life Member at the AGM for falsely accusing me of resigning as President, doing nothing all year and sabotaging the SIO. He continues with his false allegations.

Firstly I was elected President of the NSWCA at the AGM in November 2009(Mr Jones took part in that election) for the period November 2009 to November 2010. I completed the full term of my Presidency and at no time did I resign from my elected position. My lengthy written report to the 2010 AGM included a summary of the activities of the NSWCA for the 12 month period. I read out the report at the AGM which was timed by Brian Jones as taking 33 minutes. Had he listened to the report he would have noted the high level of activity of all members of the council including myself. Further details of the activity of the NSWCA for the 12 month period were on display at the AGM for all members to see in the over 70 large pages of monthly NSWCA minutes.

Other details appeared in the regular ACF newsletter produced every two weeks and in my Sydney Morning Herald column (SMH) each and every week. In addition I attended every NSWCA monthly council meeting, every NSWCA event, taking numerous entries and memberships, formulated and administered policies always by council agreement, and between meetings replied to and sent hundreds of emails. Our organisation has 587 players and a high level of activity for the dedicated few unpaid administrators. Note- Although I incurred a number of expenses in NSWCA business during the 12 month period I made no claim.

The 2010 Parramatta Chess Festival incorporating the SIO was of course included in my lengthy President’s report as was the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival. The 6 full pages of minutes of the NSWCA Council meeting of 29 October 2010 (on display at the AGM) refers to eight different NSWCA Chess Tournaments. Five of these eight events are for 2011 NSWCA events scheduled for the period Jan-Jun 2011. The 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival mentioned in our October minutes states that Bill Gletsos has seen Charles Bishop (Doeberl Cup organiser )at the Ryde-Eastwood Open. The minutes noted Brett Tindall had agreed to contact Charles Bishop about the 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival - and emails were exchanged. I received and responded to emails from Charles Bishop. All copies of my emails and replies were sent by email to each and every member of the NSWCA Council. The minutes also State that I would launch an appeal on chess chat which of course I did.

The 2011 Parramatta Chess Festival is an event organised by NSWCA and all decisions are made by NSWCA Council. Personal attacks by Mr Jones are unwarranted and reprehensible. The NSWCA Council worked well together throughout my 12 months Presidency. The next regular mail-out to all NSWCA members is at the end of December 2010. The final details of these five events are scheduled for discussion at the Council Meeting of December 17th 2010 which gives adequate time for the incoming council (27 Nov 2010) to review and amend these events occurring during their administration. There is nothing unusual about announcing details in Mid-December 2010 for an event to be held after Easter 2011 – indeed the new council Nov 2010- Nov 2011 should have the final say.

I first joined the NSWCA Council 42 years ago as NSW State Champion. The closing down sale of Chess Discount Sales with 30% off everything in the Sydney CBD will keep me extremely busy in the months ahead so I decided not to stand for a position on the NSWCA Council for the period Nov 2010-Nov 2011. I am of course available for consultation on any chess matter as I have been since learning chess more than six decades ago.

Peter Parr
    President NSWCA ( 1993, 1994, 1995 , 2010)

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_parr
    My lengthy written report to the 2010 AGM included a summary of the activities of the NSWCA for the 12 month period. I read out the report at the AGM which was timed by Brian Jones as taking 33 minutes.
    No written report was handed out to members at the 2010 NSWCA AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    No written report was handed out to members at the 2010 NSWCA AGM.
    Well it was read out wasn't that enough. Did you ask for a copy? I am sure it will be included in the minutes or you could procure one from the secretary.

What significance does the report have to the 2012 SIO?

I dont think you could expect them to discuss a tourney at an agm, agms are not for that purpose, unless it was controversial that was specifically referred to a agm.

If they had organised a council ordinary meeting after the AGM they could have discussed it - you could have requested such.

Was discussion of the SIO at that point that important?

Was there any chance that the NSWCA would not approve the SIO taking into account that the competition is well accepted and respected?

Ok all, it's time we congratulated Bill and the incoming NSWCA Council.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Ok all, it's time we congratulated Bill and the incoming NSWCA Council.
    Indeed.

But I'm also going to have a cheap shot at Peter while I'm here given the incongruity what he said above creates with the tone of something he said while trying to refute my comments on another thread.

I certainly don't doubt Peter Parr's thoroughness, or that Brian Jones is trolling him because of their well-known rivalry/antagonism, but if someone tried spending 33 minutes reading a report verbatim at a meeting I was attending I would be sorely tempted to move that the speaker be no longer heard about halfway through. Lengthy reports should be made available in advance so that the speaker can speak to them in summary/highlight form and answer questions. To speak for that long in reading a report aloud is disrespectful of the desire of at least some attendees at pretty much any meeting you care to name that the meeting go no longer than absolutely necessary. It's probably the second thing that makes people fear and avoid AGMs (after the fear that they might get dobbed in to next year's executive.)

I find it especially interesting that on the Australian Open thread Peter raised concerns about the potential impact of multiple long meetings on our ability to attract new administrators to the meetings. His concerns in that instance were largely misguided since one of the two meetings in question is a closed Council meeting. But in any case, how do 33-minute soliloquies at AGMs encourage potential new young officebearers to put in the hard yards and give up their spare time for administration?
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 30-11-2010 at 01:29 AM.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    The meeting started late so the President's overlong verbal report was only for 23 minutes.

My apologies for misleading you Kevin.

My questions in Post 12 ar they relevant?

If so urgent could not a council meeting be held urgently, even by phone link up?

You are not going to let a fantastic comp suffer coz of bureaucracy are you?

Thread Information