Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    But where repetition is possible just short of incurring 50 move rule has it been applied?
    It doesn't really matter because in most cases you can easily use up the 50 moves without even getting the same position twice let alone three times.

CC International Master Jesper Norgaard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    But where repetition is possible just short of incurring 50 move rule has it been applied?
    Actually it happened to me a couple of times while shuffling around pieces to wait for the 50 move break, but Waxman catched it for me, and allowed me to redo for a supposedly "clean" PGN file with no accidental repetitions. I used FindDraw made by a german to check the whole PGN file for draws, but it aborted without giving any result. Does anybody know of such an utility that actually works? Alternatively a chess db or chess program that can import a game and then check it for draws?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    *bump*

Discovered that a poster on chess.com, falconbrook, has trumped my 5898 move solution for the longest possible chess game (from 2001) with a 5898.5 move solution (ie game ends with white's 5899th move).

Here is falconbrook's solution (from thread at http://www.chess.com/forum/view/gene...ss-game?page=4)

I have also been thinking about the longest possible chess game recently, when I came upon this thread. I came to a similar answer as those of you that claim the longest game, limited by the 50-move rule, is 5898 moves. But I claim that the longest game is actually 5898.5 moves, ending with one final move by white.

Where my logic differs is that I claim the game can be played with only 3 switches in the responsibility of which player moves pawns and captures, whereas many posts here have claimed that it requires 4. Some of the posts here seem to indicate that each team must capture with pawns 4 times, for a total of 8 pawn captures. I claim that while 8 pawn captures total must occur, they need not be split equally in order to maximize the total number of moves that are either pawn moves or captures. The example I'll give involves black making only 2 pawn captures, while white makes the other 6, though there are other ways to do it with only 3 switches in responsibility.

On the 50th move, black takes the responsibility for pawn moves and captures. He captures two white knights with the two pawns that started in front of his bishops, as only the white knights can get out before white moves any pawns. Note that white can also move rooks back and forth into the empty knight spots, if needed when both knights are captured. Black will also need to advance both pawns that started in front of knights, such that they're ahead of his pawns that started in front of rooks.

The first switch occurs now, and white takes the responsibility. White must make 6 pawn captures and advance all 8 pawns to promotion during this period. The pawns from in front the the knights capture inward, to move into the files of the bishop. The pawns from in front of the king and queen capture outward, into the files of the bishop as well. 6 white pawns can now advance to promotion up the bishop files. The white pawns in front the the rooks advance to the rank of the black pawns from the knights file and capture pieces inward, into the knight files. Since the black pawns from the knight files had advanced beyond the black pawns from the rook files during black's first responsibility, the white pawns that have now captured into the knights file are past the black pawns from the same file, allowing these last two white pawns to continue advancing the rest of the way to promotion. Note that 6 of 7 black pieces were captured, leaving black with a king, another piece, and 8 pawns.

The responsibility now switches a second time, back to black. Black promotes all 8 pawns, with no white pawns left to block them, and captures all of white's pieces except the white king.

The responsibility switches a third and final time, back to white. White's king captures all of black's remaining pieces except the king. On the final capture of a black piece by the white king, the game ends in a draw due to insufficient material for checkmate with the king vs king endgame. White makes this final move, ending the game at 5898.5 moves.

On a somewhat different note, the longest game does not have to end in a draw, as some posts seemed in imply. We could end with white achieving checkmate on the final move. During black's second responsibility, he could have captured all of white's pieces except the king and a queen (or rook). Then during white's final responsibility, after white captures all of black's pieces except the king with his king and queen, the game does not end. We instead go an additional 50 moves with white king and queen vs black king. These 50 extra moves exactly compensate for the 50 moves lost by black not taking white's last queen. White has the final move, and the game will end at 5898.5 moves, regardless of what move white makes here. White can choose to checkmate black using the queen on this final move.

Note that this checkmate on the final move was also possible with the four switch scheme described in earlier posts, with black remaining a queen (or rook) and achieving checkmate on the final move, ending at 5898 moves.
    Well done falconbrook!

(For clarification: falconbrook's answer involves the black bishop pawns capturing inwards, onto the d and e files.)
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 30-05-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Thread Information