Thread: Strategies

CC Rookie

Strategies

For those of you who are new or have yet to explore what chesskit has to offer, a good place for strategies can be found right here on chesskit @ http://www.chesskit.com/training/strategy/.
    And be sure to try out Assessing the position, invaluable training!

CC Candidate Master
    Excellent idea! Thanks for the work you've put into this.
    65th square

CC Grandmaster
    To be honest i found some simple errors in the positions given as examples (and i have not even looked at the materials that require a registration yet)

In the "Planning" section the example suggest 1...h6 to keep control of the d5 square. However 1...Nxe4 simply wins a pawn for black

The position given in the "Space" section is a good example of one of the sides having huge space advantage. However, if black is careful- the position will be drawn as white is not going to be able to break through.

Otherwise, the the training materials appear to be good. I particularly liked the concept of Chess being a "team" game and an emphasis on strategy

CC Grandmaster
    I am not even sure you can register.

Anyway - white can win the position with space advantage, even though it is not strightforward. Here is the plan:

1. Knight goes to a5. Black cannot play Rd7 before knight gets there (Ra8!).
    2. After Na5 Rd7 white simply plays 1.Nxb7 Rxb7 2.Ra8

I doubt black can do anything.

Isn't that position from a classic game (could be Alekhine or Capablance, I can't remember) where white won by doing as Igor suggested?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    It is simular to one of the Maroci game (not exact, though).

In a real game grandmaster (or IM or even FM) would never block the king side. To win you usually need at least two weaknesses (in a broad term).

I remember seeing a game between 1800+ players, when white blocked the kingside going to completely crash the opponent on the queenside. But the black sinply sacked the exchange to completely block the queen side. Should the possibility to open the king side remained, the win would be strightforward, but alas, it was blocked, so white had to settle for a draw.

In the position on the chesskit website white is fortunate to being able to win with king side blocked.
    Space advantage in itself is not a big advantage (it might not even be an advantage at all). But it might provide an opportunity to quickly move from side to side, while your opponent cannot do the same.
    Last edited by Igor_Goldenberg; 28-06-2006 at 11:20 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    One advantage of blocking the position for a stronger side - is reduced risk of losing. Generally, (thats where I agree with Igor) space advantage is not enough to win. However, its always nice to have a closed position with space advantage against an opponent of similar strength or against a stronger player.

There is nothing more unpleasant for me than playing against U2100 rated players in a closed position with no active counterplay at my disposal. It is very disheartening to defend for many moves just to snatch a draw against somebody you feel you have to beat. As a result, I can recall losing many "defendable" positions.
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 28-06-2006 at 03:43 PM.

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    One advantage of blocking the position for a stronger side - is reduced risk of losing. Generally, (thats where I agree with Igor) space advantage is not enough to win. However, its always nice to have a closed position with space advantage against an opponent of similar strength or against a stronger player.

There is nothing more unpleasant for me than playing against U2100 rated players in a closed position with no active counterplay at my disposal. It is very disheartening to defend for many moves just to snatch a draw against somebody you feel you have to beat. As a result, I can recall losing many "defendable" positions.
    I have the same problem Michael, trying to unbalance the position against 'weaker' players who are after a draw. Saying that, I try to unbalance the position against stronger players also

Anyway, I have encountered it a lot, especially here in Australia
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC Rookie

New chess series: Grandmaster Explains

Hello everyone!

I would like to recommend you series of articles by GM Markos, which helped me a lot with understanding to chess strategy.

Here is the link: news.chessfriends.com/category/grandmaster-explains/

By the way, this one is simply genial: Walking Without Moving, Progress Without Change. A Revelation of One Secret Sect of Chess.

Happy reading to all.

Thread Information