Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Burnie Shines (October 23-24)

For details on this popular annual event on the Tasmanian chess calendar see http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/even...nder_2010.html
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 05-10-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "My favourite piece is the one that wins" - Bobby Fischer

I'm playing

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal

Had a look through public transport websites but could not find it. Are there bus options for travelling between Launceston (or Hobart) to Burnie? Where should I look?

You can actually ... walk from Devonport to Burnie... Don't try to do that from Hobart though!
    Here you are!
    http://www.devonport.tas.gov.au/inde...d=308&Itemid=1
    Last edited by ER; 05-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    Had a look through public transport websites but could not find it. Are there bus options for travelling between Launceston (or Hobart) to Burnie? Where should I look?
    For Launceston to Burnie, Redline have a monopoly. As their website is among the very worst in the known universe I'll save you some trouble. On Fri 22nd Oct there is a bus from Launceston to Burnie leaving 1:30 pm arriving 4:00 pm, another leaving 4:30 pm arriving 6:40, and another leaving 6:45 pm arriving 9:10.

On Sun 24th Oct there is a bus from Burnie to Launceston leaving 4:30 pm arriving 6:50 pm.

On Mon 25th Oct there is a bus from Burnie to Launceston leaving 10:00 am arriving 12:25.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    You can actually ... walk from Devonport to Burnie... Don't try to do that from Hobart though!
    Next you will suggest that I could swim from Melbourne to Burnie too

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    For Launceston to Burnie, Redline have a monopoly. As their website is among the very worst in the known universe I'll save you some trouble. On Fri 22nd Oct there is a bus from Launceston to Burnie leaving 1:30 pm arriving 4:00 pm, another leaving 4:30 pm arriving 6:40, and another leaving 6:45 pm arriving 9:10.

On Sun 24th Oct there is a bus from Burnie to Launceston leaving 4:30 pm arriving 6:50 pm.

On Mon 25th Oct there is a bus from Burnie to Launceston leaving 10:00 am arriving 12:25.
    And from Hobart

You can also swim from Lonnie to Burnie. My wife and I saw a seal doing the last leg up the Tamar estuary of the reverse trip last week. (At least I think he was a Burnie seal ).
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 05-10-2010 at 08:41 PM.

If you are actually planning to come down to Tassie - as opposed to hypothetically checking out the public and self-propelled transport options - you could always ask a likely Lonnie player (like me ) to pick you up from the local airport on the way through to Burnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    If you are actually planning to come down to Tassie - as opposed to hypothetically checking out the public and self-propelled transport options - you could always ask a likely Lonnie player (like me ) to pick you up from the local airport on the way through to Burnie.
    I am certainly interested in coming down to one of the tournaments, but am not a fan of 6 round 60 + 10 tournaments.

I would be more interested in the 7 round 90 + 10, but it is held on the same weekend as Ballarat, and for 2011, I am planning on going to Ballarat.

Also, can not make it for QBW as I will be at Qld Championship finals.

And from Hobart
    Finding buses from Hobart to Burnie using the Redline website with complete reliability requires a PhD in astrophysics and 15 years experience in the military psychiatry of Centrelink form design.

Rather than attempt this daunting task I will offer a few hints: firstly the link "Main Road" under Timetables lists most Hobart to Burnie services. Secondly if you want to look for more, and enter the logical "Hobart" and "Burnie", that will not actually work!

The reason for this is that the Redline website works in sectors, and you need to know that Hobart to Launceston and Launceston to Burnie are different sectors.

A further complication is that in some cases you can only go from Hobart to Burnie (or vice versa) without going into Launceston. The trick to find these is to enter the sectors as Hobart to Perth and Perth to Burnie (or going the other way, Burnie to Perth and Perth to Hobart).

Of course on a good day you'll get the even more helpful message "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

Good luck.

(Or you could try ringing them up!)
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Good luck.
    Ok first attempt. I put in Hobart and Burnie and it gave me a couple of options. I thought I struck pay dirt and could give you some crap in return for finding it an easy website

Unfortunately as I then clicked on continue, it only gave me options for Hobart to Burnie via Launceston.

But after quite a bit more searching, it does not seem possible to go direct from Hobart to Burnie.

I have sent redline an email, will see if they get back to me.

And btw, I thought you were really showing how screwed up the website is when you said via Perth, but then I remembered there is a Perth in Tassie

I am certainly interested in coming down to one of the tournaments, but am not a fan of 6 round 60 + 10 tournaments.

I would be more interested in the 7 round 90 + 10, but it is held on the same weekend as Ballarat, and for 2011, I am planning on going to Ballarat.

Also, can not make it for QBW as I will be at Qld Championship finals.
    Thanks Garvinator. I can (kinda) cope with 60 + 10 but if they keep having four rounds in a day I think I'll exercise the perogative of advancing age and start taking half point byes!

The Perth is in Tassie

But after quite a bit more searching, it does not seem possible to go direct from Hobart to Burnie.
    Yes it is. One that goes direct from Hobart to Burnie leaves on Fridays at 5 pm. The Main Road timetable gives the following options:

Depart Hobart 5:00
    Arrive Launceston 7:40
    Depart Launceston 6:45
    Arrive Burnie 9:10

What actually happens here is not time travel, but that one coach goes from Hobart direct to Burnie. However, at about 7:10 it arrives in Perth, at which point a bus from Launceston meets it, hands over passengers for Burnie from Launceston, and takes passengers from Hobart to Launceston into the latter. I've been on direct Hobart-Burnie services many times, but nearly always in the opposite direction.

Ok first attempt. I put in Hobart and Burnie and it gave me a couple of options.
    It's possible the glitch of having to enter in sectors individually has been fixed since I last used it and my gripe about that is out of date. I am unable to test this because I now can't get that part of the site to work at all!

Yes it is. One that goes direct from Hobart to Burnie leaves on Fridays at 5 pm. The Main Road timetable gives the following options:

Depart Hobart 5:00
    Arrive Launceston 7:40
    Depart Launceston 6:45
    Arrive Burnie 9:10

What actually happens here is not time travel, but that one coach goes from Hobart direct to Burnie. However, at about 7:10 it arrives in Perth, at which point a bus from Launceston meets it, hands over passengers for Burnie from Launceston, and takes passengers from Hobart to Launceston into the latter. I've been on direct Hobart-Burnie services many times, but nearly always in the opposite direction.
    Sounds like the site is very useful for people who already know exactly what the buses do.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information