Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Money matters

Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    My brother withdraws all the cash he is willing to spend that fortnight and transfers the rest into a higher interest account which he can't withdraw from. Along with summer work he is nearing $5000 which I think is excellent.
    I agree, brilliant thinking by Marcus!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    An ''Unaustralian'' but a healthy way to save is to eat at home rather than to eat out.
    I keep spoiling myself by visiting various coffee shops around the city almost every day (tried nearly all of them) and it costs me about $23 a week only! Therefore, week-long entertainment and social life comes at a price of 1 unhealthy dinner!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    An ''Unaustralian'' but a healthy way to save is to eat at home rather than to eat out.
    I keep spoiling myself by visiting various coffee shops around the city almost every day (tried nearly all of them) and it costs me about $23 a week only! Therefore, week-long entertainment and social life comes at a price of 1 unhealthy dinner!
    Great point. I have a similar instance in regards to lunches. I could buy a roll of sushi at a local eatery for $3.50 or I could produce my own at home for around $0.70-1.50 depending what I use for fillings. The same goes for subway sandwiches which are really expensive and a lot of things I should imagine. I read a thread on a skateboarding site which had $5 lunches as its speciality. There were some really good ideas.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    I keep spoiling myself by visiting various coffee shops around the city almost every day
    You have been seen in various places indeed but hardly by yourself! You 're doing fine, since you wouldn't really ask those beautiful Asian young ladies that usually accompany you to share your home catered lunch with you would you???
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Interesting interest rates for savers! Have a look:
    http://www.ingdirect.com.au/savings/...m_deposits.htm
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    You have been seen in various places indeed but hardly by yourself! You 're doing fine, since you wouldn't really ask those beautiful Asian young ladies that usually accompany you to share your home catered lunch with you would you???
    Why not, it would be just around the corner from the bedroom

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    Actually...If i would only cook a bit better...definitely Yes! Ladies do appreciate it when men cook for them!

Btw, relationships are not just about eating together. Otherwise those in love would be double the weight of those who are single. Also, giving someone an occasional treat is not going to be too damaging for the overall saving strategy as long as I ''pay myself first''. Once the money I intend to save is deposited in in to the bank account or invested in some other way, there is no reason why I can not ''spoil'' myself with whatever money is left over . And one final point - trying to impress girls by ''showering'' them in money, gifts etc. is silly . Instead, try to show them what an interesting person you are so they like the real you .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MB
    Actually...If i would only cook a bit better...definitely Yes! Ladies do appreciate it when men cook for them!
    Men appreciate it even better when ladies are good cooks! Men are well known for their superior taste!

Btw, relationships are not just about eating together.
    You brought it up by referring to cafes! (shall I add romantic rendez-vous in beatiful park areas - you 've been spotted there as well! )

Otherwise those in love would be double the weight of those who are single. Also, giving someone an occasional treat is not going to be too damaging for the overall saving strategy as long as I ''pay myself first''. Once the money I intend to save is deposited in in to the bank account or invested in some other way, there is no reason why I can not ''spoil'' myself with whatever money is left over .
    agreed!

And one final point - trying to impress girls by ''showering'' them in money, gifts etc. is silly .
    It costs less than marrying them! Better still if they shower you with the above mentioned stuff!

Instead, try to show them what an interesting person you are so they like the real you .
    Correct if applied to gfs only, cauz if you do that with wives, you are in deep, deep, deep trouble son!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Our Dollar Strengthens

Quote Originally Posted by Shoutbox earlier this morning
    [15-10-2010 04:15 AM] JaK: Hehe, I woke up to this wonderful news: THE AGE ___The Aussie $ last night struck a fresh 28-year high of US99.94¢ — by chance, exactly Donald Bradman’s batting average — sparking predictions that it would soon overtake the world’s reserve currency."OK I go to sleep again!
    [15-10-2010 10:32 AM] lost: Can the USD get that extra 00.06 to make the ton?
    [15-10-2010 11:00 AM] Saragossa: Hell yeah, what a legend!
    [15-10-2010 11:00 AM] Saragossa: Keep sticking it to the man!
    [15-10-2010 11:00 AM] Saragossa: You got us so good!
    [15-10-2010 12:48 PM] JaK: It's a good thing for young (and not so young) Chessplayers, who, taking advavtage for the strengthening of our currency can visit other countries (including the US) and play in stronger tournaments there! On a comparative scale (1:1) cost of living is actually cheaper in the US than it is here. That's of course if we have the monetary equilibrium established or even as NAB predicts get's to Aus dollar = 1.10 US. ON the other hand I know it's not that good for the export market - then again we have strong contracts. From a personal point of view I am approaching the spending age, so investements aren't that high in my finance priorities!
    [15-10-2010 01:31 PM] Rincewind: A more modest advantage is that secondhand (chess) books from sites like amazon and betterworldbooks are more affordable
    [15-10-2010 01:57 PM] JaK: there you are! I never thought of that which is realistically more feasible!
    [15-10-2010 01:58 PM] JaK: and of course very helpful! Will it encourage local Chess related business to drop their prices as well?
    I think that this interesting discussion, could be continued here so I transfered it from the Shoutbox!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    High Aussie dollar is a mixed blessing. Benefits are not confined to importers and losses are not limited to export/tourism, it can have a ripple effect throughout other parts of economy. For example local shop or diner located next to the office of export company can find their revenue suddenly decline, etc.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    High Aussie dollar is a mixed blessing. Benefits are not confined to importers and losses are not limited to export/tourism, it can have a ripple effect throughout other parts of economy. For example local shop or diner located next to the office of export company can find their revenue suddenly decline, etc.
    But that is the nature of capitalism and entrepreneurship, the laizzai faire economy. In the Old Days cafe buildings were owned by the cafe manager so they were a lot more resilent and cheaper. Now if the manager/renter makes a half decent profit the landlord puts up the rent accordingly and so the consumer cops it as well. In Byron Bay due to high rent shops run amok closing all the time due to high rents and tourist trade yoyo-ing

well the Pacific Pesos has drawn with the imperialist standard bearer. I can remember when first floated and building costs went up dramatically (33%) due to the dollar's falling value. Builders went broke as many contracts were made out for western red cedar imported from America or Canada. Many in the trade lost employment, they have not forgotten so keep savings just in case, but then miss out on the enormous capital gain in property since then.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar

Post New Recreational Food Invention and Chess Tournment

Im putting this here cause im too lazy to keep searching through the threads.

The food invention is Alcoholic Ice Blocks.

And yes you can get Vodka to freeze if you mix it with custard and stuff (problem is it melts quickly, so it needs more work, still it does work).

Anywho, if your reading this and intend to steal this idea, you have to sponsor and fund a outdoor summer avro and evening chess torunment. This would involve a nice green country cricket oval or such, lots of chess tables each with its own big beach unberalla, and camping sites near by for tents and it has to have toilets and a canteen. Summer time would be best for this but not when the heat lasts too much into the evening and not when there is too many misquitos. Deanhogg can be consulted to help you with more of the details.
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

Kaitlin, along the beachfront, the park above with trees and BBQ like here in Byron Bay would be ideal, in winter during good weather but preferably spring or auturm. will follow up later

Thread Information