Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    If simuls count, I have played Lajos Steiner, Maurice Goldstein twice and John Purdy all in the early 1950s.
    Simuls definitely count, so since Steiner is a 3 as pointed out by Scott, you are another 4.

I've raised the Kasparov-Christoffel 1988 game noticed by Scott in the discussion section on the Wikipedia page to see if anyone objects to it as evidence of Kasparov being a 4.

CC Grandmaster
    Ian Rogers is a 4 having played Christoffel in 1988, same tournament as Kasparov I think, in Basel.
    Scott

EDIT: Christoffel played Mieses in 1945 Hasting to make him a 3. Mieses was a very strong player into his eighties it appears
    Last edited by Oepty; 18-09-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    Ian Rogers is a 4 having played Christoffel in 1988, same tournament as Kasparov, in Basel.
    Scott
    Where did you find this one? I found a chessgames game claiming to be Ulrich Christoffel vs Rogers also in Switzerland also that year (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1117285) but not Martin Christoffel.

It seems there are many chessgames misattributions as Ulrich Christoffel is shown as playing at least two games played by Martin Christoffel before Ulrich Christoffel was born.

Chessbase also has Kasparov vs M Christoffel Basel 1988 and states that it was a simul, and also has Rogers vs U Christoffel and states that that was an open.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Where did you find this one? I found a chessgames game claiming to be Ulrich Christoffel vs Rogers also in Switzerland also that year (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1117285) but not Martin Christoffel.

It seems there are many chessgames misattributions as Ulrich Christoffel is shown as playing at least two games played by Martin Christoffel before Ulrich Christoffel was born.
    The database at www.Chesslabs.com/PositionSearch.html has the same game attributed to Martin Christoffel.
    Scott

CC Candidate Master
    Does anyone know Cecil Purdy's Morphy number? I played him in a simul in 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by whatteaux
    Does anyone know Cecil Purdy's Morphy number? I played him in a simul in 1972.
    Certainly 4 at most having played 3s including L Steiner and Tartakower. I can find no evidence that Purdy himself was a 3.

CC FIDE Master
    The best Australian would have been Esling who played a casual game against Anderssen.

Quote Originally Posted by jammo
    The best Australian would have been Esling who played a casual game against Anderssen.
    Making Esling a 2 and making everyone who played Esling a 3 at worst.

Gossip is also a 2; he played John Owen.

However these two seem not very active after 1900 so I'm not sure if they seed any 3s into the strongest Aus players of the mid-20th C (many of whom came from overseas anyway).

CC Grandmaster
    Making Esling a 2 and making everyone who played Esling a 3 at worst.

Gossip is also a 2; he played John Owen.

However these two seem not very active after 1900 so I'm not sure if they seed any 3s into the strongest Aus players of the mid-20th C (many of whom came from overseas anyway).
    Esling played in the 1922 Australian Championships according to games in Ozbase. Only 1 of him playing, that against a Arthur Davies, but if it was a round robin then he would have played William Viner and Charles Watson amoungst others. Esling died in 1955 aged 95.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    Esling played in the 1922 Australian Championships according to games in Ozbase. Only 1 of him playing, that against a Arthur Davies, but if it was a round robin then he would have played William Viner and Charles Watson amoungst others. Esling died in 1955 aged 95.
    Neville Ledger's "Chess: Tasmanian Records" clarifies this:

"Melbourne 1922 started with fourteen players but F. K. Esling retired after the first round."

CC Grandmaster
    Neville Ledger's "Chess: Tasmanian Records" clarifies this:

"Melbourne 1922 started with fourteen players but F. K. Esling retired after the first round."
    Okay thanks Kevin. Gossip died in 1907.

Further to above I actually found The Argus of 19 April 1922:

Esling stated that the principal reason for his withdrawing was the fact that in his game with Davies [which he lost-KB] he found that he could not keep within the time limit of 15 moves an hour. In view of the fact that on no fewer than six occasions he won the Victorian chess championship with a time limit of 20 moves an hour, his statement came as a surprise

(Urgh. Set Garvinator onto him.)

I also found some MCC history (http://www.melbournechessclub.org/in...tory&Itemid=56) referring to Esling's chess activities between 1937-1946, suggesting (but not proving) that there may have been opportunities for players of that era to play him in casual games and that way become 3s.

Certainly 4 at most having played 3s including L Steiner and Tartakower. I can find no evidence that Purdy himself was a 3.
    Purdy also played Averbakh and Keene. Does that make any difference?

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Purdy also played Averbakh and Keene. Does that make any difference?
    No. Averbakh was only a 4 according to the page and I expect Keene would also be a 4. Purdy would need to have played a 2. Most of the well-known 2s were dead by 1930 except for Tarrasch (1934), Showalter (1935), Michell (1938), Em Lasker (1941) Maroczy (1951), and Mieses (1954) - and Esling (1955) as noted above. Purdy didn't even start playing until 1922 so his chances to play a 2 would have been limited.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 18-09-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Thread Information