Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray
    In any case how many radical student activists remain radical activists in middle age?
    I am the idiot who has

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,235

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I am the idiot who has
    Even worse, you and Ian Murray have retained juvenile leftardism way past middle age.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  3. #3
    CC International Master Goughfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Even worse, you and Ian Murray have retained juvenile leftardism way past middle age.
    I can understand your aggression towards me, given that I'm quite prepared to respond in kind, but why do you have to be so rude towards Ian Murray, who has been nothing but a perfect gentleman in these discussions?
    "People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings." - Jerry Seinfeld, The Little Kicks

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    I can understand your aggression towards me, given that I'm quite prepared to respond in kind,
    You don't just respond, hypocrite, but are rude to anyone with a sensible conservative libertarian view, since it challenges your faith in big government by elitists who can spend money better than the people who earned it could.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    but why do you have to be so rude towards Ian Murray, who has been nothing but a perfect gentleman in these discussions?
    I have a different recollection, but what's with this new-found selective sensitivity anyway?
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  5. #5
    CC International Master TheJoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    conservative libertarian view
    Isn't that an oxymoron for you, given that conservatism means maintaining the status quo, and you seem to feel that the status quo is anything but libertarian

  6. #6
    CC International Master Goughfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    You don't just respond, hypocrite, but are rude to anyone with a sensible conservative libertarian view,
    By all means, provide a quote from me where I have been rude to anyone who has identified as a "conservative libertarian" and has not already been rude to me or to others and I will gladly apologise. Otherwise, retract.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    since it challenges your faith in big government by elitists who can spend money better than the people who earned it could.
    I refuse to accept your strawperson representation of me. By all means, provide a quote from me that demonstrates this faith in big government that you attribute to me. Otherwise, retract.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I have a different recollection, but what's with this new-found selective sensitivity anyway?
    I can honestly say that I have made every effort to treat those who discuss matters on these threads in a congenial manner with the same kind of respect that they extend towards me. Of course, you're perfectly entitled to act like a jerk towards all and sundry; my only question is why you would choose to do so.
    "People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings." - Jerry Seinfeld, The Little Kicks

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    By all means, provide a quote from me where I have been rude to anyone who has identified as a "conservative libertarian" and has not already been rude to me or to others and I will gladly apologise. Otherwise, retract.
    Are you actually saying that your claim of someone "been rude to others" excuses your own rudeness?
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    13,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Are you actually saying that your claim of someone "been rude to others" excuses your own rudeness?
    I think he says "you 'll be treated as you treat"!
    Something I don't suggest or (wholeheartedly) support since it cost me 200 hours community service!
    Moral: Be more ... discreet when you do it next time!
    Last edited by ER; 26-07-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

    From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Even worse, you and Ian Murray have retained juvenile leftardism way past middle age.
    But I managed to drop my juvenile belief in God whilst a teenager whereas you have kept yours until mid-age, already people are looking sideways at you.

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,235
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    But I managed to drop my juvenile belief in God whilst a teenager whereas you have kept yours until mid-age, already people are looking sideways at you.
    More likely, your idea of God is the juvenile belief from Sunday school rather than the God of the Bible. In my case, I didn't have a juvenile belief in God but converted as a uni student.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    By all means, provide a quote from me where I have been rude to anyone who has identified as a "conservative libertarian" and has not already been rude to me or to others and I will gladly apologise.
    You attacked me first in your usual Anointed style of presupposed but demonstrably false air of intellectual superiority. You attacked IG first as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    I refuse to accept your strawperson representation of me. By all means, provide a quote from me that demonstrates this faith in big government that you attribute to me.
    Your gloating at the downfall of the Coalition with its allegedly dry conservatism, at a time when KRudd was gleefully squandering our money on botched insulation and school building schemes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    I can honestly say that I have made every effort to treat those who discuss matters on these threads in a congenial manner with the same kind of respect that they extend towards me. Of course, you're perfectly entitled to act like a jerk towards all and sundry; my only question is why you would choose to do so.
    Leading question, just as expected from an Anointed lawyer-type.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    21,235
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker
    Isn't that an oxymoron for you, given that conservatism means maintaining the status quo, and you seem to feel that the status quo is anything but libertarian
    I have likewise made the point that the label "conservative", generally applied to people like me, is misleading, since there are many things I don't want to conserve.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  13. #13
    CC International Master Goughfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    You attacked me first in your usual Anointed style of presupposed but demonstrably false air of intellectual superiority. You attacked IG first as well.
    I asked for a quote that demonstrates the veracity of your slur, not for a bald assertion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Your gloating at the downfall of the Coalition with its allegedly dry conservatism, at a time when KRudd was gleefully squandering our money on botched insulation and school building schemes.
    Again, I asked for a quote. Please read more carefully before responding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Leading question, just as expected from an Anointed lawyer-type.
    Considering the way that you flaunt your qualifications, even to speak in areas where you are not remotely qualified, it's somewhat hypocritical of you to accuse me of being an "Anointed lawyer-type".
    "People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings." - Jerry Seinfeld, The Little Kicks

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    More likely, your idea of God is the juvenile belief from Sunday school rather than the God of the Bible. In my case, I didn't have a juvenile belief in God but converted as a uni student.
    then that is worse still, coz you were then much mature and should not have accepted such rubbish. By that age I was already an atheist. Gee, I leave you for dead. But I still love you.

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,540
    Here Goughfather is repeatedly insisting on a quote being provided to him
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    I asked for a quote that demonstrates the veracity of your slur, not for a bald assertion.

    Again, I asked for a quote. Please read more carefully before responding.
    Here Goughfather response to request of a quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by Goughfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Would you be so kind to provide the link to the Howard's post that would justify calling him "shameless apologists"?
    No I would not. I've explained why this is the case a number of times. If you are unable to comprehend this, then that's not my problem.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 916
    Last Post: 24-03-2014, 05:07 PM
  2. Federal Election 2004 (Coalition Wins)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 27-07-2010, 12:25 PM
  3. Federal Election 2007 (Labor Wins)
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Politics
    Replies: 347
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM
  4. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 14-10-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. State Election
    By rob in forum Politics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •