Thread: Dortmund 2010

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Dortmund 2010

I have been having trouble getting excited about this since it only features one world championship contender instead of the usual two or three, but check out the scores after round 3:

2.5/3 Ponomariov, Mamedyarov
    1/3 Kramnik, Leko, Naiditsch, Le Quang Liem

Kramnik lost to Pono in round 2.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I have been having trouble getting excited about this since it only features one world championship contender instead of the usual two or three
    Dortmund is certainly one leading tournament that has gone down in status in the last few years. It was used as the qualifier to decide who would play Kramnik's world championship in 2004. Now look at it.

CC Grandmaster Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    I have been having trouble getting excited about this since it only features one world championship contender instead of the usual two or three, but check out the scores after round 3:
    kevin its very easy to get excited because "hips dont lie" mamedyarov is playing !!!!!

dont you remember this ...................shakira, shakira !!!!

(featuring glen danzig with subtitles !!!!!!!!!!!!)

go kramdog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Last edited by Sir Cromulent Sparkles; 19-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

Things have now settled down to a more normal looking crosstable. After six rounds:

+2 Ponomariov
    +1 Le Quang Liem (this guy has been very impressive)
    = Kramdog (that was for TPL), Mamedyarov
    -1 Naiditsch
    -2 Leko

Mamedyarov had a little disaster in round 6 where, having dominated the game against Naiditsch, he made an elementary exchange blunder (of the "didn't see it was protected" variety) and resigned immediately.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

The Man in the Back that Caesar guy's Avatar
    Mamedyarov had a little disaster in round 6 where, having dominated the game against Naiditsch, he made an elementary exchange blunder (of the "didn't see it was protected" variety) and resigned immediately.
    Good to know I'm not the only one
    'And the man in the back said "Everyone attack!", and it turned into a ballroom blitz. And the girl in the corner said "Boy I wanna warn ya, it'll turn into a ballroom blitz." Brian Connolly

CC Grandmaster Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    just to let everybody know that shakira is back, after the error in round 6 !!!!

"hips dont lie" mamedyarov beat what appears to be an out of sorts peter leko with some sort of symmetrical english. leko never looked threatening.

the other two games were drawn.

that leaves the field arranged in this fashion ............

ponomariov 4.5/7
    hips dont lie 4/7
    the vietnamese fellow who i hadnt heard of before (le quiang liem) 4/7
    the "kramdog" is keeping it real on 3.5/7
    naiditsch 3/7
    and leko's having a rough trot on 2/7
    Last edited by Sir Cromulent Sparkles; 23-07-2010 at 07:07 AM.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

Ponomariov has being playing nice positional chess. I hope holds his nerve and wins as it's about time he was known for something else that being an ex-world champion (lite).

I have been having trouble getting excited about this since it only features one world championship contender instead of the usual two or three
    Actually I was wrong about that since it appears that Shak is the Candidates Matches nominee of Azerbaijan as hosts.

That said there is a bit of trash-talking going on about whether the events will be held in Azerbaijan at all.

Thread Information