Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I asked a question about prizes at the Australian Juniors, but then I withdrew it because I remembered reading in the newsletter that there were going to be $5,800 in prizes (total). It's all good.

But I was still wondering about this ==> are there any plans yet about what to do with that $4,000 set aside for the development fund?
    Last edited by jeffrei; 06-09-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrei
    I asked a question about prizes at the Australian Juniors, but then I withdrew it because I remembered reading in the newsletter that there were going to be $5,800 in prizes (total). It's all good.

But I was still wondering about this ==> are there any plans yet about what to do with that $4,000 set aside for the development fund?
    I don't believe it has been discussed at all, so if you have any ideas please put them forward.

I was hoping this was something the ACF Junior sub-committee would deal with. Denis Jessop has been given all the parameters for the sub-committee and he is putting together a proposal to go to the ACF. Unfortunately he has been very busy and it is not finished - I was hoping it would go up to the next ACF meeting.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    You can't just leave it at 'from the Victorian hotheads '.
    Am I in that?
    And since it is plural...who?
    It wasn't you. It wasn't jeffrei. I'm not sure I should attempt to "name" all of their aliases, it would be such a shame to forget any and leave them out. Suffice to say that all were anons.

CC FIDE Master

Mt Muller (Minor)

As have been commented on this site, the ACF is not obligied to run any side events at an Open or Championships, but it does serve in the event's best interest to do so.

Most players hate doing the yo-yo. Winning one and then loosing the next, and minors/majors help players out in this regard. It also gives improving players the chance to win an event against their peers. Then there are the players who are close to 1600, who wouldn't play without such an event. It's better to offer them something, than give them no chance all.

As for how much the entry fee should be, I am big believer that some subsidity should be made from lower tournaments to help find the many costs relating to the event as a whole. (The Doeberl Minor, does this well.) It's not acceptable to argue that all money collected in the minor, must be spent there, as it is because minor helps out tournament finance as a whole that these are so sucessful.

Lee Forace (Liberaci)

Forace's Legacy: Swap off when your down.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberaci
    As have been commented on this site, the ACF is not obligied to run any side events at an Open or Championships, but it does serve in the event's best interest to do so.

Most players hate doing the yo-yo. Winning one and then loosing the next, and minors/majors help players out in this regard. It also gives improving players the chance to win an event against their peers. Then there are the players who are close to 1600, who wouldn't play without such an event. It's better to offer them something, than give them no chance all.

As for how much the entry fee should be, I am big believer that some subsidity should be made from lower tournaments to help find the many costs relating to the event as a whole. (The Doeberl Minor, does this well.) It's not acceptable to argue that all money collected in the minor, must be spent there, as it is because minor helps out tournament finance as a whole that these are so sucessful.

Lee Forace (Liberaci)

Forace's Legacy: Swap off when your down.

Hello Lee,

If you want those two lines including your name to appear on every post, go to user cp then click on signature and put it in there. Then it will appear automatically in every post you make

Regarding your post, sounds very much like the competitiveness argument starter makes which i agree with. There is a thread dedicated to that too. http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=229&page=1 have fun

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AES
    Hi all,

I would like to officially apologise for the word Australian getting into the title of the tournament. I take full responsiblity for this as i wrote the advertisement for the bulletin and emailed it to Paul B.

It certainly wasn't intentional, and i will ensure it does not get into any future advertisements.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Cheers,
    Alex Saint.
    This does not cut it buddy. You and your organising team are just plain disorganised.

Why didn't you get the WHOLE committee to check it first before quickly sending it off???? Check! You will hopefully come to learn from these costly mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by doc
    This does not cut it buddy.
    He made a mistake, he corrected it, and no actual harm has been done. If you've never made a similar mistake in organising a chess tournament yourself it's probably because you're just another armchair whinger/troll and have never actually done it yourself.

Yet again your rubbish is not constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    He made a mistake, he corrected it, and no actual harm has been done. If you've never made a similar mistake in organising a chess tournament yourself it's probably because you're just another armchair whinger/troll and have never actually done it yourself.

Yet again your rubbish is not constructive.
    wasnt doc one of the anons who you fired a salvo at
    Last edited by Garvinator; 08-09-2004 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AES
    Hi all,

I would like to officially apologise for the word Australian getting into the title of the tournament. I take full responsiblity for this as i wrote the advertisement for the bulletin and emailed it to Paul B.

It certainly wasn't intentional, and i will ensure it does not get into any future advertisements.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Cheers,
    Alex Saint.

Quote Originally Posted by doc
    This does not cut it buddy. You and your organising team are just plain disorganised.

Why didn't you get the WHOLE committee to check it first before quickly sending it off???? Check! You will hopefully come to learn from these costly mistakes.
    This is a harsh response. What about a fair go?

What Alex has done is a MINOR mistake! I think it was good of Alex to acknowledge his mistake and he seems the sort of person who learns from his mistakes. Its all very well to criticise, but one thing I know is that "the person who has made no mistakes is the person who never did any work"!

By all means make critcisms where it is justified. However they should be in proportion to the error/mistake made.

Who are Doc and the other anonymous Victorians and what are their motives for being so nit picky towards Mt Buller?

Lets move on, everybody!!!
    Last edited by Paul S; 08-09-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Who are Doc and the other anonymous Victorians and what are their motives for being so nit picky towards Mt Buller?

Lets move on, everybody!!!
    I am not sure I understand the spite that seems to be directed towards the whole Mt Buller thing.

Ok - we would rather be in a capital city and I would rather everyone had kept their paws off the Junior competitions.

However as far as I can see George, Kerry and the others are motivated by trying to make a succesful competition with big sponsorship.

I've spoken to Roman from the Mercure a number of times now and he is just lovely. He genuinely wants to put money into chess. Of course he wants to see people stay at his hotel, but is offering pretty good value for money. There is no obligation to stay there, so people who want cheaper accommodation can find it easily. The lodge accommodation doesn't seem any different to the Backpackers hotel in Canberra or Victor's lodge and people on a budget seem quite happy to stay there for Doeberl. He and the Mercure are not some evil bunch luring people off to Mt Buller for fiendish purposes of their own.

I just can't understand why there seems to be a desire to put the boot into the whole thing?

Next year and the year after, people who want to bid for the Juniors/Open/Championships can do so. Why not pull together for this year? It just seems so often in chess there are more people to destroy and pull down than people to create.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I just can't understand why there seems to be a desire to put the boot into the whole thing?
    Most of it seems to be because a bunch of little sooks in Melbourne don't think they should have to travel for chess, even though the rest of Australia has to travel whether the event is in Melbourne or Mt B. Some of the sooks have vested interests, some apparently do not.

I omit jeffrei and starter from the above reckoning. Other Victorian posters from these threads and wishing to be considered for omission can apply in writing with a $50 deposit.

CC Candidate Master
    Keep this up Kevo' and you'll be like Napolon Roy - in exile on a tiny Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo
    Keep this up Kevo' and you'll be like Napolon Roy - in exile on a tiny Island.
    another fantastic contribution of an anonymous poster.

i have a very serious question is there any accomodation non share for under or close to $100 on the mountain,i ask because i know someone who works there and its 16 km on driving zigzag up/down mountain thats just up down we rung 12 places ansd they all were very much over $100 per night.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1972
    i have a very serious question is there any accomodation non share for under or close to $100 on the mountain,i ask because i know someone who works there and its 16 km on driving zigzag up/down mountain thats just up down we rung 12 places ansd they all were very much over $100 per night.
    hello and thank you for your question regarding accommodation. Just want to make it clear firstly that we organisers do NOT have an exclusivity deal with mercure, even though we recommend that ppl stay there. Also we organisers have been told that ppl wanting to make bookings are to organise the accommodation themselves, we are to not handle accommodation bookings.

Ok, now to help you bobby1972 Here is a website that might be more help http://www.mtbuller.com.au/accommodation/ it lists the accommodation available on and off the mountain. Also listed is the places that are open during summer.

I suspect without further information that you received the winter or spring prices, not the prices that they might charge during summer.

I am sure that Jenni and Libby can give more information regarding accurate accommodation information as they have rung alot of the places themselves.

what i can say for certain is- unless you take your car, off mountain is NOT an option.

Thread Information