Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned

Why are Mexicans hotheaded while Welshers are not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    Well I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is going to be a problem with stupid anonymous trolls and Victorian hotheads when the only requirement to post on this board is to register a user name. If people were required to disclose their names, and IP addreses were identified on messages, the problem would be considerably reduced.

People may complain about AR's performance but he is doing it openly and taking responsibility, and he can be called to account - for instance when his club is organising a major event and wants support, or at least not sabotage, from other people. People who are able to post under pseudonyms with little prospect of having their identities (and motivations and vested interests) uncovered have no incentive to behave in a constructive and mature manner.

While this is not an official ACF bulletin board, it has some connections in that ACF officers post announcements here (often before or instead of on the ACF website) and a number of current and past moderators have had official ACF duties. I can see it being a problem getting volunteers to run events like the Australian Open in future if they have to put up with endless anonymous grizzling and abuse on what is a least a quasi-ACF bulletin board.

Of course it's true that the really smart trolls will find a way to get around any system, but at least some rudimentary controls would screen out a lot of the nonsense. And having smart trolls on here would be a considerable advance.
    Ian

I had not actually seen this point of view (re discipline is related to non-anon.) on the BB previously. I am inclined to agree with your post.

It is a pity you picked-up and re-used the disparaging term 'Victorian hotheads', without saying which posters.

I can assure you there are a number of Victorian players and parents who are disappointed that 'their turn' at hosting the event has turned out to involve unexpected travel-and-holiday costs running into the 000's of dollars. These people may also be hotheaded; but most don't post here.

starter

CC International Master
    My concern isn't people expressing contrary or even hotheaded views but doing so in an unaccountable manner, which doesn't apply to you (starter being a nickname rather than a pseudonym, which is not difficult to trace).

For the record, I would be much more likely to go if the event was in Melbourne.
    Last edited by Ian Rout; 06-09-2004 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    I can assure you there are a number of Victorian players and parents who are disappointed that 'their turn' at hosting the event has turned out to involve unexpected travel-and-holiday costs running into the 000's of dollars.
    This must surely be a slap in the face for our Mexican friends. A monumental insult. Tell us starter mate, what's the feeling in Mexico: half-hearted or they just won't go?

You going?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrei
    Surely not me, cause George kept posting here long after I was placated. I was happy with the fact that he gave a personal financial guarantee and that he set aside a considerable sum of money from the tournament for the juniors, instead of merely running it as a slush fund for the Open (could someone remind me exactly how much it was? $9000?).
    The Development fund is $4,000. However the Juniors did get a better deal under MB3, as entry fees were reduced and the compulsion to stay at the Mercure was removed, while still keeping the prize fund the same (not that the prize fund is an enomous issue for the kids).

I know there has developed some personal animosity between AR and GG, but I am not quite sure why AR (and others) keeps attacking the organisers. It is not the fault of the current organisers that MB2 collapsed. George stepped in and rescued a very large amount of sponsorship money - something in pretty short supply in Australian chess.

There is a shortage of details at the moment, but the entry forms will be at the clubs very soon and Jeo should have the website up soon. George and his people seem to have achieved more in the 2 months since they took it over, than Cordover did in the 6 months he had it.

Obviously there are disenchanted factions - I have enormous sympathy with the Melbourne parents who have not had a home juniors for as long as I have been involved in chess. However it is really not the fault of the current organisers.

I have to admit reading some of the posts, I am reminded of my kids - when they behave like this I have a tendency to tell them to go to their rooms and come back when they can talk to each other in a mature way and with courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    This must surely be a slap in the face for our Mexican friends. A monumental insult. Tell us starter mate, what's the feeling in Mexico: half-hearted or they just won't go?

You going?

AR
    AR
    You are on my black-list you contrarian you.

I am not going to extrapolate beyond my previous post where I said that some have expressed disappointment at cost and travel for a 'home final'.

My guess is that most Vics would approach the decision in same frame of mind as if the event was at Quakers Hill.

And, am I going? No. But then I rarely play in January Championships,so don't read any crit. of Mt B. into this.

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 06-09-2004 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I have to admit reading some of the posts, I am reminded of my kids - when they behave like this I have a tendency to tell them to go to their rooms and come back when they can talk to each other in a mature way and with courtesy.
    And my guess is that Matt will ask for a name names so that not all are tarred by this brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Hey, no probs! I think a few more people around here could take a leaf out of your book. Simple human mistake->Simple acknowledgement of it->Simply move on.
    Yeah i just wanted to make sure it was clear who was at fault here as some of you may have been trying to tease out. It appeared as if Garvin was starting to be blamed for this, which was unfair.

I will be more careful in future

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    I know there has developed some personal animosity between AR and GG . . .
    S'cuse me! I'm gonna start calling you a Drama Queen from now on.

I feel no animus. I know exactly what I'm doing and it ain't personal. How me mate GG takes it is his problem.

In fact, I've been quite charitable towards him where I saw he deserved it.

AR

Arosar,

This quote from you in the other thread:

Still, I don't blame me mate gray. He clearly didn't know. I feel quite sorry for the bloke - very much a lamb to the slaughter.

This is very wrong. He knew everything about the Lidums sponsorship. He was just sworn to secrecy like the rest of us. You didn't hear me saying anything to you either!

It may not be personal arosar, but make sure you get your facts right.

. . . some have expressed disappointment . . .
    We all sympathise with your people. The way I see it, it's a double whammy ain't? Not only is there no home final, the organisers are all gringos - a NSWelshman, a toad, South Australians, and someone who seems to be an eternal ring-in. What message is that saying to our Mexicans brothers and sisters?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by AES
    He was just sworn to secrecy like the rest of us.
    Or, more correctly, gagged.

Pity gray.

AR

Black-listed but still winding-up.

We all sympathise with your people. The way I see it, it's a double whammy ain't? Not only is there no home final, the organisers are all gringos - a NSWelshman, a toad, South Australians, and someone who seems to be an eternal ring-in. What message is that saying to our Mexicans brothers and sisters?

AR
    No AR, it is not a double whammy.
    Not one Mexican (I have spoken to) is put out by the organising committee being composed as it is.
    Just the single whammy, mate. No 'home final'.
    starter

Not one Mexican (I have spoken to) is put out by the organising committee being composed as it is.
    Well, d'uh! That's cos you're not making the right subliminal messages.

AR

hi Bill

This was news to me that jammo and GW had an issue with the naming of the Minor (in Penrith).
    I had not noticed if the GURU used the AUS tag when he advertised his now aborted Mt B. Minor. Did he?

starter
    He advertised it as such in Brians magazine on page 44 of the May/June issue.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 06-09-2004 at 12:13 PM.

and someone who seems to be an eternal ring-in. AR
    ??????

Thread Information