Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Well, it was close after all, the winners all on 5.5/8...

Looks like I would have won by a clear margin of 2.5 pts had I played...
    OOOoooooohhhhh you reckon????????

Now... wheres my pin......
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC FIDE Master
    Perhaps Bruce should put his BB correspondence chess where his mouth is, eh?
    we have between us the barrier of a common language

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché
    Perhaps Bruce should put his BB correspondence chess where his mouth is, eh?
    Haha.. well I'm having a tough game against Frosty already... but in my defence I never play time controls this long.. as you can tell perhaps from my rapid rating, I prefer those quicker time controls

Of course it's great to be able to say I could have done anything but it's ultimately meaningless since you're the winner Rob, hehe.

Perhaps some time in the future, when a major event is held in sunny QLD you'll get your chance to lose to me.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Account Permanently Banned

Communication breakdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché
    No results?

The Minor finished yesterday. Here are the results as best I recall them:

Code:
    5.5  Rob McCulloch (=1st, winner on tiebreak)
    5.5  Joe Marks (=1st, second on tiebreak)
    5.5  Stephan Taylor (=1st, third on tiebreak)
    5.5  Rex Simmonds (=1st, fourth on tiebreak)
    5    Eddy Katnic
    5    Trent Parker (1st under 1400)
    4.5  Roland Eime
    3    Matthew Sweeney (=2nd under 1400)
    3    Corey White (=2nd under 1400)
    3    Lance Chiddy (=2nd under 1400)
    2.5  Jamie Kenmure
    0    Rory Chiddy
    The tie-break system was progressive, followed by sum of opponent's scores, I think. The second tie break was required to separate second and third place. I'm not certain about the placings for those on =1st, in particular the order of second and third, hopefully someone will come and correct me if I've got it wrong.

As you can see, it was a closely contested tournament, with the final placings decided in a nail-biting last round.
    First, well done Rob...1st place in the Minor.

Second, Rob has been able to win the event, pack his bags, find his way home from Mt B. to Melbourne, log-on to this bulletin board, post the results, have a sleep, go to his Club on Friday night, win another prize in the ALLEGRO, have a sleep, do things on Saturday, have a sleep.....and still the Mt B web-site does not have the results of the MINOR listed anywhere I have been able to find?

Hope it improves for the juniors.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    First, well done Rob...1st place in the Minor.

Second, Rob has been able to win the event, pack his bags, find his way home from Mt B. to Melbourne, log-on to this bulletin board, post the results, have a sleep, go to his Club on Friday night, win another prize in the ALLEGRO, have a sleep, do things on Saturday, have a sleep.....and still the Mt B web-site does not have the results of the MINOR listed anywhere I have been able to find?

Hope it improves for the juniors.

starter
    Goodness - how unreasonable! Why on earth would you expect to be able to find the RESULTS somewhere????

Running an adult event like this is obviously far more difficult than managing 160 children at an inter-school competition. Sometimes (and OK - I'm tooting my own horn but I have to give some kind of example) that involves me arriving about 8am to set up most of the 80 or so boards and often shifting the tables & chairs alone. About 8.30 parents start arriving and want to leave their kids with you because they have important "jobs" to go to. Then, more kids/parents/teachers arrive and start pestering you with questions so you have to deal with that and still get things set up. If you're lucky, some will help set up boards but often not quite the right way around so not always, in the end, helpful.

Then I take money, enter and adjust what I pre-entered (the night before) the teams into the computer. Sometimes I have an experienced helper, and sometimes I am training on the go. I get to gather together all the players, explain to them how to play the competition. I seat the 160 children. I run around as the arbiter (sorting out near-fisticuffs over touch-move disputes, and children who cry when they lose). I get called back and forth to the score table, depending on the experience of my helper, to fix problems with results and entering scores into the computer.

I seat the next round and the next, 7 in total. Mostly I don't eat lunch. I deal with teachers, parents, politicians and media (yes we invite them and yes, they come).

At the end, we do all the presentations. Every child takes home a ribbon and a four page flyer promting future events and chess activities. Sometimes people help pack up and sometimes i get to do that too. I try to bolt by 3.30pm and pick up my children from wherever they are and then run them about until at least 5pm because there is ballet or gym or soccer or (lucky me) sometimes even the after-school chess club for me to run.

I get home. Dump the results from the laptop to my PC. Send basic results to our webmaster. Write up results for schools & dispatch email versions straight away. Write a media release, sent to all outlets via email and by fax (strike twice and maybe once will hit). Then it is time to start packing up team envelopes for the next school zone event, often 2 are run in a week. Following up entries for the next event and following up non-payment for events already run.

For the Primary Comps last year - 8 such zone events and 2 finals. Plus weekend events, development programs and oh - I write a weekly bulletin for ACTJCL incorporating the team standings and top individual scores for the schools events.

BTW - my salary = $0.00 My net personal gain = 0+0+0 and occasionally some bitching from some parent who didn't like the way I spoke to their child at the end of the sixth event and when I was lugging the tenth box of equipment into my car or similar.

So why can't we find out what's happening in Mt Buller? And remember, I don't want a medal. I'm just wondering why it can't be done.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Libby and starter, you guys must be forgetting the busy life of the organisers up on My Buller. What, with having to fix up computer problems, looking for missing adaptors, playing in the Rapid Play, driving to Mansfield for supplies, logging in to the BB to put up posts, who has time to update the website?

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    The final standings are up in the "results" area now. But yeah, it did take rather a while...
    we have between us the barrier of a common language

Hey, Libby with regards to that discussion earlier in this thread related to why women cant read maps this article might shed some light.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

Thread Information