Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    And they pay royalties and employ Aussies. KRudd is just greedy, wanting their money to pay for more disastrous big-spending programs..
    The earnings are earmarked for national infrastructure - 'disastrous big-spending programs' is simply biased speculation on your part

They are not assets unless they are mined. A super-profits tax will discourage this. You won't get any assets if big mining corporations decide to mine elsewhere.
    They'll mine wherever there's a dollar to be made - Nigeria, Angola, Venezuela, deep under water, you name it. A politically stable country like Australia, with large easy-to-mine reserves and ready access to deep-water ports, is a bonanza. They're fighting to retain their super profits, but they're not leaving.

Note that your article [re Norway] admits that now the oil has been partly privatized .
    After 30 years of full state ownership, Norway's Statoil went public, although a minimum of two-thirds ownership is required to remain in government hands. No other shareholding exceeds 5%, and ethical guidelines apply to corporate shareholders.
    Also, it's a somewhat simplistic attitude. Norway’s wealth: Not just oil by Icelandic economics professor Thorvaldur Gylfason points out features of Norway's policies that are clearly different from KRudd's: in particular, the oil money is insulated from politicians, and mostly saved rather than spent.
    Nor do I claim that Australia relies solely on mineral exports. Most of Statoil's profits are held in overseas reserves, but only after payment of company tax at 28% plus petroleum tax at 50% plus GHG emission taxes. If our proposed Resource Super Profit Tax, ranging from an effective rate, including company tax, from 0 to a maximum of 53.6% on a profit margin (after tax deductions) of more than 50%,,is 'greedy' then the Norwegian rate of 78% is rapacious. But still Norwegians enjoy sometimes the best/sometimes one of the best living standards in the world

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray
    The earnings are earmarked for national infrastructure - 'disastrous big-spending programs' is simply biased speculation on your part
    Earmarked is the key word. In reality they will be used for bribes (or never eventuating promises of bribes) and wasted as Labour government successfully did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray
    They'll mine wherever there's a dollar to be made - Nigeria, Angola, Venezuela, deep under water, you name it. A politically stable country like Australia, with large easy-to-mine reserves and ready access to deep-water ports, is a bonanza.
    The political stability is an asset which this reckless tax is about to damage.
    Indeed, Australia had a reputation of a country that shields business from cavalier attack of the government.
    Not any more.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    Edit: This could raise some interesting questions on the interplay between politics and religion. How are we to determine what constitutes "genuine" Christian faith in a politician? I remember someone on here a while back saying US politicians regularly put on an act to charm the voters.
    Yes. Basically in the US you can't be a serious Presidential candidate unless you at least go through the motions of being a Christian of some kind (however odd a kind that is). Out of various candidate attributes (including gender, sexuality, race, denomination, marriage, divorce, age, adultery and so on) atheism continually shows up as the most consistent barrier to being elected US President; more than half of US voters say they would not vote for an atheist.

I find it really hard to tell how devout many Australian politicians really are. They are both under greater pressure to behave contrary to their professed faiths and greater scrutiny if they err than ordinary believers. Some (along the lines of Santamaria, Harradine, Nile, and even Andrews) are obviously the real deal and all the more tedious for it. With Abbott, it's hard to tell if he's a fraud or if he really is a genuine believer along the lines of the whole Catholic sin/repent dynamic in which you can still be somehow considered devout and in the fold even if you're not a very good or consistent specimen of the genre by your own admission.

I don't really care because a politician who espouses political religiosity (ie who attempts to use religion as an argument for a political precept, or advance policies influenced by it) is equally verminous to me whether that espousal is serious or fake.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I don't really care because a politician who espouses political religiosity (ie who attempts to use religion as an argument for a political precept, or advance policies influenced by it) is equally verminous to me whether that espousal is serious or fake.
    Which Australian politicians, in your view, fall into this category?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Which Australian politicians, in your view, fall into this category?
    The easy ones are the specifically Christian parties, so Fielding, Nile, Moyes etc. Within the Liberal Party, there are many. Tasmanian Senator Guy Barnett is a particularly extreme example; also Andrews and Abetz, and Abbott on a part-time basis, but there are lots of them.

Within the Labor Party they are there but much more muted and difficult to spot. Conroy is certainly one, there are probably quite a few others.

Greens Senator Christine Milne would be a possible surprise inclusion in my list. Milne is a Catholic who supported retention of the words "Almighty God" in the constitutional preamble, and I believe her approach to environmental issues is informed by a certain mode of religiously based environmentalism. Note that when I say this I am not talking about it in the lazy sense in which people say that "environmentalism" generally is a "religion"; rather I am talking about the interpretation that protecting the environment is a moral obligation derived from God.

CC Grandmaster
    The easy ones are the specifically Christian parties, so Fielding, Nile, Moyes etc. Within the Liberal Party, there are many. Tasmanian Senator Guy Barnett is a particularly extreme example; also Andrews and Abetz, and Abbott on a part-time basis, but there are lots of them.
    Any particular policy they advocated based on religion?

Within the Labor Party they are there but much more muted and difficult to spot. Conroy is certainly one, there are probably quite a few others.
    Did he try to justify Internet censorship by his religious views?
    Where do the Rudd Sunday sermons fit?

Any particular policy they advocated based on religion?
    Between them, too many to mention.

Did he try to justify Internet censorship by his religious views?
    Not that I know of, but that is irrelevant. If a policy is influenced by religious views or movements then whether religious views are specifically advanced in favour of it is irrelevant.

Where do the Rudd Sunday sermons fit?
    I haven't paid microscopic attention to their content but they seem to be an exercise in religious tokenism, ie Rudd engages in essentially non-religious political behaviour in a religious setting and thus tries to make it look like his rule is more religious than it is.

I do think Rudd has engaged in religious political behaviour now and then, for instance over Bill Henson.

CC Grandmaster
    Not that I know of, but that is irrelevant. If a policy is influenced by religious views or movements then whether religious views are specifically advanced in favour of it is irrelevant.
    How do you know then if the policy(i.e Conroy's internet filtering) is influenced by religious views?

Any policies of Liberal party influenced by religious views?

How do you know then if the policy(i.e Conroy's internet filtering) is influenced by religious views?
    It is difficult to be absolutely certain but when the MHA in question is religious and is feeding off a family-values style hysteria usually connected with religion (which is not to say that each necessarily implies the other) then it's highly likely that policy carries religious influences. Especially given Conroy's persistence with it despite the evidence that it doesn't work.

Any policies of Liberal party influenced by religious views?
    Changes to film classification standards made by the party in its previous term in government were one example. The standards implemented reflected the preferences of religious moralists rather than objective standards of harm or consent.

Abbott's actions as Health Minister re abortion in the previous term were also an example. I would expect such an approach to continue under whoever he appointed Health Minister if he was elected.

Gay marriage is another issue in which policies (of both parties) tend to be religiously driven. All these issues can be expressed in a secular manner but without religious support the conservative/reactionary position would not have anywhere near as much adherence.

Most of the issues on which political religiosity comes to the fore are not party-policy issues but conscience vote issues. On these the influence of religion on Coalition MPs appears stronger than on Labor MPs but is still strong on many of the latter.

Was Rudd a good Prime Minister?

Not whether he had communications issues. Not whether he could have done things better (they all could). Simply, 'Was Kevin Rudd a Good Prime Minister?' Ask a rightie about whether John Howard was a good PM and you'll get a 'yes'.
    Last edited by Basil; 28-06-2010 at 12:28 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Underpants
    Was Rudd a good Prime Minister?

Not whether he had communications issues. Not whether he could have done things better (they all could). Simply, 'Was Kevin Rudd a Good Prime Minister?' Ask a rightie about whether John Howard was a good PM and you'll get a 'yes'.
    Are two word answers OK? Second one being "house"
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Are two word answers OK? Second one being "house"
    You don't qualify. I'm now convinced you're not a lefty (notwithstanding you may wish to vote that way).

Any lefties prepared to answer yes or no?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I don't like polls which categorise people! I don't like yes or no polls! I like multiple question polls! So the answer is

yes

BUT....

Julia is

THE BEST!

Lefty or Righty or whatever my involvement in politics will be analogous to that of Julia's. She stays I stay, she goes I go! I mean Natasha was O.K. but hey! give me a break Julia is a STAR!!!
    Last edited by ER; 28-06-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    I don't like polls which categorise people! I don't like yes or no polls! I like multiple question polls! So the answer is

yes
    But are you a lefty? I've seen you thugged into line on this board by a lefty head-kicker so you appear to qualify!

Anyone else? Calling all lefties. Not a difficult question. Come on down. Everyone plays. Everyone wins. Rules of the game are simple. Was Rudd a good PM? No choking on the answer.
    Last edited by Basil; 28-06-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    BUT....

Julia is

THE BEST!
    Perhaps you should reserve judgement until she's been in teh job longer than a weekend

Thread Information