Red face On and Off and now he's back... need help!

Hello folks, been a while! Good to see some old faces here for sure!

I've been really busy with work for a long time now and recently my daughter started attending a new school where Chess is part of the curriculum (which I thought was pretty amazing, never had anything like that when I was a kid!) and it's really resparked my love of the game as we brought out my old set and played a few games.

I have tried and failed twice now becoming a regular member over at Parramatta Chess club. Mostly through discouragement admittedly (those guys are GOOD) and partly because I simply couldn't find the time. The folk at the club are really, really nice people - but it's a competition environment and I found that this caused me more problems than encouraged me to stay in the end. It can be quite humbling to have your backside handed to you week in and week out!

These days though I'm looking to turn this more into a family affair and looking to finally put my head down and get serious about chess. My daughter is getting professional instruction and I really want chess to be part of my life.

Now I'm looking for advice on this I'm hoping you might be able to direct me upon!

I admit I'm not a good player. I have instinct and can play a decent basic game, but anyone 1500 or above will generally trounce me which makes playing at club level a test of patience as much as learning. As I mentioned before, I had a longish stint trying to 'make the grade' at club level but I really just couldn't cut it with the guys there and lost heart.

So in short - I need a good chess coach.

I'm in the market for a decent adult class that meets at least once a week, either via private tuition or through a clinic. I'm beyond the basics and probably playing at around the 1200 level, but I need to meet with coaches who can help me understand the game better and give me the opportunity to learn with other adults, so I don't feel like such a moron when sitting down at the board.

I'm in Strathfield, Sydney and we used to have a chess academy down here at the station, although it seems they have moved over to Burwood lately?

Does anyone know if these folk train adults at all?

I'm going to shoot them off an email to be sure, but if any Sydney locals have any experience with getting into chess as an adult player with regular instruction, I'd love to hear about it.

I'd love to be a solid club level player, but I really need to get taught by someone who can see what I'm doing wrong and advise me to get better.

Please note this is intended to be a long term commitment.

Any advice and/or feedback appreciated.

Thanks again gents, it's good to be back!

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausknight
    I'm in Strathfield, Sydney and we used to have a chess academy down here at the station, although it seems they have moved over to Burwood lately?

Does anyone know if these folk train adults at all?
    Yes they have and yes they do. I believe they have recently started an adult chess club meeting on a Wednesday night.

For more details of that and general coaching you can contact Brett via the website http://www.sydneyacademyofchess.com.au/
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Yes they have and yes they do. I believe they have recently started an adult chess club meeting on a Wednesday night.

For more details of that and general coaching you can contact Brett via the website http://www.sydneyacademyofchess.com.au/
    Many thanks, I'll contact them tomorrow.

Incidently, do they have a local club as well (ie for social playing?)

I don't mind the odd 'competitive' game for sure, but I'd love to have a regular play outside of tuition, close to home would be ideal.

Thanks again.

Many thanks, I'll contact them tomorrow.

Incidently, do they have a local club as well (ie for social playing?)

I don't mind the odd 'competitive' game for sure, but I'd love to have a regular play outside of tuition, close to home would be ideal.

Thanks again.
    The closest club I know of to Strathfield (though my Sydney geography isn't great) is Ryde-Eastwood. I believe it meets at the Leagues Club (which is very near the train station) Wednesday nights from 7.30. From what I understand there are many player there who don't play competition and so I imagine social games are easily arranged. Bill might be able to give you more details on that club.

Otherwise further a field you have Canterbury (meets in Lakemba) and Parramatta clubs. For more info on the NSW clubs (those affiliated with the NSWCA anyway) you can check out http://www.nswca.org.au/clubs.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    The closest club I know of to Strathfield (though my Sydney geography isn't great) is Ryde-Eastwood. I believe it meets at the Leagues Club (which is very near the train station) Wednesday nights from 7.30. From what I understand there are many player there who don't play competition and so I imagine social games are easily arranged. Bill might be able to give you more details on that club.

Otherwise further a field you have Canterbury (meets in Lakemba) and Parramatta clubs. For more info on the NSW clubs (those affiliated with the NSWCA anyway) you can check out http://www.nswca.org.au/clubs.html
    Cheers.

I'm twice a former member of Parramatta Chess club. Really nice people, but the environment is just a little too competitive for my blood.

I'm after more of a social scene to ease myself into the game. I'll worry about being competitive later if it grabs me.

Thanks again.

Talking

Just heard back from the Sydney Chess Academy and I'm starting there tomorrow night in their weekly adults' class.

Should be good for me.

Thanks again for the advice Rincewind, this looks exactly like what I need right now.

Cheers!

Just heard back from the Sydney Chess Academy and I'm starting there tomorrow night in their weekly adults' class.

Should be good for me.

Thanks again for the advice Rincewind, this looks exactly like what I need right now.

Cheers!
    Cool. I hope it works out for you.

Thread Information