Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871

    Blast from the past II

    From the very old 'Forum' on the Auschess site, many years ago. This was in response to my own comments regarding the Queensland Junior rating system and how it gave unfair advantages to those players who played a large volume of rated games, namely those living on the Gold Coast. This is Jacob responding to Dr McKinnon, who devised the QJ system. Enjoy the humour.


    Author: Jacob Edwards (circa. 1998).


    MONEY, RATINGS, AND DISGRUNTLED MUTTERINGS


    To Doctor 'Death' David McKinnon.

    You may be a member of Club Bullwinkle, but I nevertheless feel it my
    duty to disagree most vehemently with some of the things you have said
    in response to Dion Sampson.

    Chess organisers ARE ripping off the downtrodden masses who compete in
    tournaments around Australia. The day of the 'happy volunteer' has
    passed. Chess professionalism is eminently possible on an organisation
    front, and many of our top 'organisers' (read con-artists) charge
    exorbitant fees for their so-called services. I myself, sad to say, am
    in no position to avoid the scythe-edge that is my own anger. Not only
    do I gulp down free biscuits at CAQ council meetings (for a mere four to
    five hours' investment of time), I recently went so far as to demand
    money for DOPing a cadet tournament over two consecutive Sundays. My
    contribution to the event was valued at $5 per hour (approximately 20
    cents per game played), and if that's not enough to flee the country and
    buy a condo in Puerto Rico, well, I don't know what is.

    Six years of University education. You can't beat it.

    I don't believe you practise medicine at all, MISTER McKinnon! Come on.
    Admit it. All your income comes from producing the Queensland Junior
    rating list, doesn't it?

    Or perhaps you're a closet organiser of tournaments? It's quite a scam
    you've got going there. I wonder whether Dion Sampson is aware that $100
    out of every CAQ membership fee goes to the good Doctor in recompense
    for organising mock junior events? Sure, junior memberships are only $25
    or so, but this just goes to explain why CAQ finances are in such a bad
    way, surely.

    You've got a lot of explaining to do, Dok-tor!

    And as for that junior rating system, well, that's just a load of
    bollocks. Queensland is falling behind the times. We need to adopt the
    new FIDE system. No, don't panic. It's really quite simple. Every time
    you lose a game, your rating halves, and the points shed are injected
    directly into the winner's rating. Easy to calculate. Tangible results.
    Particularly accurate in reflecting a player's current form.

    Better still, let's out-do FIDE! We could implement a ratings system
    which, with the comprehensive analysis of computer technology, assesses
    each player's strength after every move of every game, and updates
    ratings accordingly. (Because, let's face it, if you leave a mate in one
    on, then you're an 800 rated player for that particular minute.)

    Sceptical, Doctor, or just afraid that the blind and trusting juniors
    will discover the truth?

    I have a dream, David, a grand vision for the future of Australian
    chess. If the ACF vigorously pursues my policy, I feel confident that we
    can generate not only enough money to satisfy the slack, parasitic
    organisers such as you and I, but also enough to expand our membership
    upwards towards infinity. If Australian chess moves in the right
    direction, there is no reason why we cannot secure funds sufficient
    enough to allow us to PAY PEOPLE TO BECOME MEMBERS!

    STEP ONE: Expand our range of services. Currently the ACF is obsessed
    with promoting chess. What a hideously limiting activity! Far more money
    could be made from the vending of alcohol, not to mention drug
    trafficking, prostitution and organised gambling. Even if these ventures
    are seen as too ambitious, however, it is undeniable that the ACF could
    make an absolute killing with idiot-o-grams, misinformed-o-grams, and
    the ever-popular whine-o-grams. Gorilla-grams pale into insignificance
    when you can hire a junior to turn up at somebody's party and start
    singing, "I'm unhappy, you do nothing for me, my name's (insert name
    here), and I want more!"

    STEP TWO: Start a chess business, produce a glossy catalogue, and
    occasionally pad it with some chess-related material. This, to my
    knowledge, has never been done before, and could become a significant
    money-earner if the State Associations force all their (millions of
    newly-acquired) members to subscribe to it.

    STEP THREE: Have the national champion decided by lottery from ALL THOSE
    PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONATED $1000 OR MORE. (This, of course, is just an
    expansion on my recent proposal to have the Queensland Champion drawn
    out of a hat; sadly, due to the fact that there were biscuits but no
    alcohol at the meeting, this was rejected.) To ensure that
    multi-millionaires are not discriminated against, people should be given
    separate entries for each $1000+ donation. But don't think for a moment
    that the ACF would be 'selling out'. The champion, upon winning the
    prestigious national chess lottery, should be careful to refer to chess
    as a sport, and, I stress this in particular, he or she should not be
    officially awarded the title without first touching a chess set.
    (Video-link to be used for those who live in isolated regions.)

    So what say you, Doctor McKinnon? Can you sit there in your apartment,
    languidly typing up junior rating lists while pretending to hold down a
    real job, and say with sincerity that you're not offering Queensland
    juniors a raw deal?

    My proposed system of organisation would provide juniors with
    up-to-the-minute ratings, a glossy chess catalogue, and free money by
    the bundle. What does yours offer?

    Yours in 'chess',

    Jacob Edwards
    (traitor to the conspiracy)
    Last edited by Alan Shore; 02-09-2004 at 04:54 PM.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    Do you still have the link to the old fourms - you know, that one that shifted right with every post?

    AR

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Do you still have the link to the old fourms - you know, that one that shifted right with every post?

    AR
    No I don't.. actually the above post even predated the shifty forum. I think it all got deleted unless someone had a backup..
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  4. #4
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    I think it is entirely unfair to post an article by someone who does not post here about someone who does not post here.

    The factual accuracy of the comments by Jacob Edwards is also open to question.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I think it is entirely unfair to post an article by someone who does not post here about someone who does not post here.

    The factual accuracy of the comments by Jacob Edwards is also open to question.
    Um, it was all in fun really, as you should be able to plainly see.. this was originally posted on the ACF web page some 5 or 6 years ago. Jacob and David are friends anyway. You need to chill, Bill.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  6. #6
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Um, it was all in fun really, as you should be able to plainly see.. this was originally posted on the ACF web page some 5 or 6 years ago. Jacob and David are friends anyway. You need to chill, Bill.
    I'm well aware of the fact it was on the ACF web site way back then.
    In fact there were a number of them with a response by David.
    The vast majority of the members of this BB would not know if the claims made are in fact in jest or not even if the last part of the posted material appears to be tongue in cheek.

    The post seems unfair and apparently serves no uesful purpose.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The vast majority of the members of this BB would not know if the claims made are in fact in jest or not even if the last part of the posted material appears to be tongue in cheek.
    How can you claim to know how 'the vast majority of the members of this BB' think? Are you an all-seeing Shaolin master? Hardly.

    The post seems unfair and apparently serves no uesful purpose.
    Tough, I'm not deleting it.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  8. #8
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    How can you claim to know how 'the vast majority of the members of this BB' think? Are you an all-seeing Shaolin master? Hardly.
    Let me explain it in simple terms so even you might understand.
    The vast majority of the posters would not know the history, therefore the post is misleading because the background information plus others replys are not included.

    Given you are Dion then the post seems self serving.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Tough, I'm not deleting it.
    I never suggested you delete it, I just claimed it was unfair.
    However what one of the moderator's views may be is another matter.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 02-09-2004 at 01:28 PM.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    I didn't even know that the ACF had a forum way back in '98! What year was it when we had Sarfati in those forums that shifted right?

    I can see your point Bill. But I think we can accept it as merely a citation of an historical incident.

    AR

  10. #10
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I didn't even know that the ACF had a forum way back in '98! What year was it when we had Sarfati in those forums that shifted right?
    The above post and its related replies were not part of any ACF forum.
    Cant remember their original origin, it was just that they were available on a web page on a section of the ACF web site.

    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I can see your point Bill. But I think we can accept it as merely a citation of an historical incident.
    Given the fact the related replies etc are not available for reference then I dont think it is acceptable even as a citation of an historical incident.

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The above post and its related replies were not part of any ACF forum.
    Cant remember their original origin, it was just that they were available on a web page on a section of the ACF web site.
    It was not a 'postable' forum but it was labelled 'forum' (after being formerly called 'opinion'). The then webmaster, Andrew Allen posted emails sent to him on the page manually.


    Given the fact the related replies etc are not available for reference then I dont think it is acceptable even as a citation of an historical incident.
    I don't have any further replies saved, only my original post on the QJ ratings, which is rather old and something I've talked about a lot in the past, even on this BB too but I no longer care since I am no longer a junior.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Let me explain it in simple terms so even you might understand.
    The vast majority of the posters would not know the history, therefore the post is misleading because the background information plus others replys are not included.
    You would have to be a goose not to when you consider the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob
    ...$100 out of every CAQ membership fee goes to the good Doctor in recompense for organising mock junior events? Sure, junior memberships are only $25 or so, but this just goes to explain why CAQ finances are in such a bad way, surely.
    And... hmm... most of the rest of the article!!

    Even so.. just for you, I'll give a little edit at the top to put it in context.. just for you!

    Given you are Dion then the post seems self serving.
    I am hardly mentioned and it is not the reason I posted the article, more as to relive the humour and give people a chance to see it themselves.

    I never suggested you delete it, I just claimed it was unfair.
    However what one of the moderator's views may be is another matter.
    Ha Ha
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    It was not a 'postable' forum but it was labelled 'forum' (after being formerly called 'opinion'). The then webmaster, Andrew Allen posted emails sent to him on the page manually.
    Oh yeah!! I remember that now . . . Geez. That was sooo long ago man.

    I really do hope we archive some of this stuff. This is all history mate. Say, how old were you when that post was posted anyway?

    AR

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Oh yeah!! I remember that now . . . Geez. That was sooo long ago man.

    I really do hope we archive some of this stuff. This is all history mate. Say, how old were you when that post was posted anyway?

    AR
    Um.. was about 16 then. If I can dig up my original article I might post it for fun. (Just to wind up Bill, heh)
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  15. #15
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The vast majority of the members of this BB would not know if the claims made are in fact in jest ...
    Surely you jest?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Blast from the past
    By Alan Shore in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •