Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 99
  1. #61
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Instead they peddle wacky conspiracy theories that Sweden would extradite Assange to US.
    You'll look a bit of a fool if it happens, won't you

    I don't know that it is so wacky an idea. Extradition law is extremely complex. To me, it's entirely plausible that an extradition from the UK might be possible under rape allegations but not possible under conspiracy allegations. I also think the argument that the UK is more able to withstand pressure from the US to be quite plausible. Will it happen? I have no idea, but the whole Sweden business is very, very strange and the only thing I am absolutely sure of is that we don't have the full story by a long way.

    There is a discussion here, the veracity of which I would have no idea: http://justice4assange.com/US-Extradition.html#WUKJA

    I'd be interested to know the thoughts of Assange's fans (or anyone else) on the matter.
    (not a particular fan)

    I reserve the term "feminazi" to the most outrageous and usage of the word is deliberate.
    I think that's a word (among many of Jono's invention) that should be consigned to the rubbish bin permanently. When feminists start murdering millions of innocent people you can justify it.
    Last edited by pax; 31-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.

  2. #62
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,398
    Posts moved

    Further discussion of the term "feminazi" (including that Jono didn't invent it) has been moved here

  3. #63
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    The Julian Assange case took a bizarre twist with Ecuador's foreign minister claiming that the UK has threatened to raid the London embassy to take Assange into custody. If true it shows the UK are clearly losing patience over Assange's protracted asylum bid, however it seems an odd threat if all Assange is wanted for is extradition to Sweden and so will probably fuel the theories of US motivation in the extradition.

    If talk of the threat is exaggerated then it might be an attempt to leverage Ecuadorian nationalism to provide sufficient political support for Assange in Ecuador to make an asylum offer palatable.

    Either way perhaps it means Ecuador will offer asylum but what that will mean could be a diplomatic crisis in UK-Ecuador relations (over the offer and furthermore if the UK intend to carry out the threat) or else Assange could become under effective house arrest at the Ecuador embassy in London.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #64
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    ...or else Assange could become under effective house arrest at the Ecuador embassy in London.
    Say Ecuador grants asylum and appoints Assange as its ambassador to Australia, or Bhutan, or wherever (to strengthen its ties to the anti-smoking lobby). Assange then leaves the London embassy for Heathrow with a diplomatic passport, and is free and clear.

  5. #65
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    The Julian Assange case took a bizarre twist with Ecuador's foreign minister claiming that the UK has threatened to raid the London embassy to take Assange into custody. If true it shows the UK are clearly losing patience over Assange's protracted asylum bid, however it seems an odd threat if all Assange is wanted for is extradition to Sweden and so will probably fuel the theories of US motivation in the extradition.

    If talk of the threat is exaggerated then it might be an attempt to leverage Ecuadorian nationalism to provide sufficient political support for Assange in Ecuador to make an asylum offer palatable.

    Either way perhaps it means Ecuador will offer asylum but what that will mean could be a diplomatic crisis in UK-Ecuador relations (over the offer and furthermore if the UK intend to carry out the threat) or else Assange could become under effective house arrest at the Ecuador embassy in London.
    Even more remarkable is the UK response, which not only did not deny the threat, but spoke about the UK's obligation to extradite and the "legal status of diplomatic premises in the UK".

    "We have consistently made our position clear in our discussions with the government of Ecuador. The UK has a legal obligation to extradite Mr Assange to Sweden to face questioning over allegations of sexual offences and we remain determined to fulfil this obligation.

    "We have an obligation to extradite Mr Assange and it is only right that we give Ecuador the full picture.

    "Throughout this process we have drawn the Ecuadorians' attention to relevant provisions of our law, whether, for example, the extensive human rights safeguards in our extradition procedures, or the legal status of diplomatic premises in the UK.

  6. #66
    CC International Master Agent Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,466
    Yes - it seems they're not going to let him leave for Ecuador under any circumstances.

  7. #67
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,047
    Well, it's encouraging that Ecuador has taken a leaf out of John Howard's book and treats its asylum seekers just as Australia intends to do ...

    1) Process them offshore,

    2) Unnecesarily waste months to process their claim, (Ecuador - we'll wait until the Olypmics are over... yeah right!!)

    3) Keep them detained, without charge, indeterminantly in limbo.

    I know a way to solve this:

    They should send Julian Assange to a Refugee Processing Centre in Nauru, or Manus Island in Papua New Guinea! That will "discourage" other people who wish to "leak" stuff over the Internet.
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 16-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  8. #68
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Well, it's encouraging that Ecuador has taken a leaf out of John Howard's book and treats its asylum seekers just as Australia intends to do ...

    1) Process them offshore,

    2) Unnecesarily waste months to process their claim, (Ecuador - we'll wait until the Olypmics are over... yeah right!!)

    3) Keep them detained, without charge, indeterminantly in limbo.

    I know a way to solve this:

    They should send Julian Assange to a Refugee Processing Centre in Nauru, or Manus Island in Papua New Guinea! That will "discourage" other people who wish to "leak" stuff over the Internet.
    To be fair Ecuador had little option on points 1 and 3 which were brought about by the UK's obligation to extradite Assange. Regarding 2, waiting until the Olympics were over was probably not a bad thing anyway from the point of view of global coverage of Assange's situation, but to compare that situation (detained for 2 months in a Foreign Embassay) with asylum seekers in Australian detention centres, who are held for years on end without charge, somewhat trivialises their plight.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #69
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    To be fair Ecuador had little option on points 1 and 3 which were brought about by the UK's obligation to extradite Assange. Regarding 2, waiting until the Olympics were over was probably not a bad thing anyway from the point of view of global coverage of Assange's situation, but to compare that situation (detained for 2 months in a Foreign Embassay) with asylum seekers in Australian detention centres, who are held for years on end without charge, somewhat trivialises their plight.
    I agree!!!

    Julian Assange is a stoat!

    The Ecuador government shouldn't let wave-loads of Australian 'asylum seekers' "queue-jump" the immigration process simpy by showing up at their embassies on foreign lands!

    If you let one Aussie through, then you turn on the tap! There is no telling how many Australian asylum seekers will flood the Ecuador border!

    Ecuador nees to nip this in the bud and "turn back the stoats"!

    Ecuador needs to send a strong message to break the business model of these Australian people smugglers! They need to let them know that there is no advantage in seeking diplomatic asylum at the London embassy than going through the normal immigration procedures!

    Ecuador needs to protect her borders and "turn back the stoats"!

    Assange's home country doesn't even want him, so he doesn't even have the chance to "go back to where he came from"!

    Honestly Baz, if you genuinely believe that my comparison of Assange asylum seeking somehow trivialises the plight of refugees seeking asylum in Australia, then I think you've missed my point - which was quite the opposite.

    People who seek asylum in Australia generally don't have the money to pay for QCs and high proflie media PR, and are destined for the doldrums due to almost unbelievably stupid populist federal government policies based on fear mongering and polling of stupid people in shopping centre malls.

    In any case - the proposed "Laberal" focus on less than 1% of immigrants who arrive by boat, spending upwards of $1 Million of taxpayers money for each new asylum seeker for each new offshore facility is sadly a reality, and not something I've made up to trivialise peoples' plights... as taxpayers, we're all paying through the nose for this ruthless, inhumane nonsense. Hey for that price, we can save everyone some money and give them a million each, and bring them here on Fairstar the Funship!

    By using the Assange circumstance, I only sought to hold up to a mirror to that which is being proposed by our parliamentarians at the moment, and thereby, illuminate it's riduculousness...

    Maybe people don't like what they see in the mirror?
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 18-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  10. #70
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Honestly Baz, if you genuinely believe that my comparison of Assange asylum seeking somehow trivialises the plight of refugees seeking asylum in Australia, then I think you've missed my point - which was quite the opposite.
    I suspected that was true, but the satire was so good that I was in two minds. This simply means it was well executed.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  11. #71
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,558
    Almost seven years later (!):
    Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where the WikiLeaks founder was granted refuge in 2012 while on bail in the UK over sexual assault allegations against him in Sweden. Assange, 47, who has spent almost seven years at the embassy after seeking refuge there to avoid extradition to Sweden, was detained after the Ecuadorian government withdrew his asylum, Scotland Yard said. He was held on a warrant issued by Westminster magistrates court on 29 June 2012 when he failed to surrender to the court.

  12. #72
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,195
    So how is freedom of speech going in Western Democracies?
    Lets see what happens to him now
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  13. #73
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,195
    I wonder what someone would say if its Chinese government that would want to arrest him
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  14. #74
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,558
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So how is freedom of speech going in Western Democracies?
    A lot better than in China - he was arrested for skipping bail, not for anything he said.

  15. #75
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    A lot better than in China - he was arrested for skipping bail, not for anything he said.
    Or yes....and of course USA wants him deported on some light charges? . So if Chinese dissidents are accused officially for non political activities rather than political ones e.g. tax evasion - shall we assume the case is not political? or in case of China it is political but in case of Assange its not?

    Can you please remind me how he got into legal troubles in the first place? .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How old Noah lived - 979 years? / Dinosaurs
    By antichrist in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: 21-09-2015, 05:29 PM
  2. Online Aussie chess club
    By Trent Parker in forum Computer Chess
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-04-2009, 02:44 PM
  3. Football codes - what is the future?
    By chesslover in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 651
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 04:43 PM
  4. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 28-01-2005, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •