11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tromso, Norway

7 63.64%
  • Albena, Bulgaria

4 36.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Olympiad

2014 Olympiad

Two bids have been received for the 2014 Olympiad. Those being Tromso, Norway and Albena, Bulgaria.

Poll question attached.

CC Grandmaster
    Is there somewhere giving links to the details of the proposed bids? With out some inkling of what the respective organisers are planning it is pretty difficult to have an opinon.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    Is there somewhere giving links to the details of the proposed bids? With out some inkling of what the respective organisers are planning it is pretty difficult to have an opinon.
    Scott
    Apologies. I sometimes forget that not everyone is up to date with events as they are happening.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6301

Also Susan Polgar's blog quite often contains updated information about the Tromso bid.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    Im starting to think that having the olympics is signing your countries economic death. Their to expensive to run.
    What is the cost of 2010(or 2008) event?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    Apologies. I sometimes forget that not everyone is up to date with events as they are happening.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6301

Also Susan Polgar's blog quite often contains updated information about the Tromso bid.
    Okay thanks Garvin. Be a cold Olympiad if it is held in Tromso, a long way north, but the government seems to be right behind the bid and they seem to have some good experience amoung the organisers. The new playing hall in Albena sounds good. Sill not a huge amount to base a decision on but both look attractive and if the are organised well then should be okay.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    Okay thanks Garvin. Be a cold Olympiad if it is held in Tromso, a long way north, but the government seems to be right behind the bid and they seem to have some good experience amoung the organisers. The new playing hall in Albena sounds good. Sill not a huge amount to base a decision on but both look attractive and if the are organised well then should be okay.
    Scott
    Tromso is scheduled for August, so that is middle of summer. Land of the midnight sun and all that.

CC Grandmaster
    Tromso is scheduled for August, so that is middle of summer. Land of the midnight sun and all that.
    Garvin. The average high for august according to Wikipedia write up on Tromso is 13.9 degrees. It might be sunny but in my books that is still cold. Not saying that is a reason not to hold the Olympiad in Tromso, but cold weather is not my preference, irrelevant as my preference is.
    Scott

haven't decided yet

Two bids have been received for the 2014 Olympiad. Those being Tromso, Norway and Albena, Bulgaria.

Poll question attached.
    I think you should specify you are talking about a Chess Olympiad. Apparently some haven't grasped that!

Amazing to see FIDE's fees are almost double than the accommodation costs. Norway seem to be well prepared, clued and budgeted.
    They will also have the experience of organising a major international competition (Is it the Chess World Cup or something? - Ed. Yes it is the 2013 World Cup, I checked again!) till then.
    We haven't seen the Bulgarians' application details with analysis yet.
    According to some pictures of the WC Match venue, people (spectators) don't seem to be very interested in attending. And mind you, the match is held in Sofia. I don't know anything about Albena so I can't comment on their application merits, since they provide none anyway.
    So I will not vote till I 've done some search!
    Last edited by ER; 03-05-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    I think you should specify you are talking about a Chess Olympiad. Apparently some haven't grasped that!

Amazing to see FIDE's fees are almost double than the accommodation costs. Norway seem to be well prepared, clued and budgeted.
    They will also have the experience of organising a major international competition (Is it the Chess World Cup or something? - Ed. Yes it is the 2013 World Cup, I checked again!) till then.
    We haven't seen the Bulgarians' application details with analysis yet.
    According to some pictures of the WC Match venue, people (spectators) don't seem to be very interested in attending. And mind you, the match is held in Sofia. I don't know anything about Albena so I can't comment on their application merits, since they provide none anyway.
    So I will not vote till I 've done some search!
    I will ask my Bulgarian correspondent for the details and get back to everyone on this!!

lost

Quote Originally Posted by JaK
    The thread title is 2014 Olympiad.

I thought having to add Chess to the thread title in a chess forum and where the sub forum is overseas tournament news and results would just be treating the readers as idiots.

If I was not talking about chess, then I would have stuck it in non-chess.

Account Suspended
    The thread title is 2014 Olympiad.

I thought having to add Chess to the thread title in a chess forum and where the sub forum is overseas tournament news and results would just be treating the readers as idiots.

If I was not talking about chess, then I would have stuck it in non-chess.
    I never look at the sub-forum names. Just what pops up in the new screen

CC International Master

Albena information

Hi to everyone,

Information on Albena: It will be hosting the Bulgarian Teams Championship and I will be getting pics of the vemue as well. I will be exclusively revealing pictures to chesschatters so you get an idea of what the venue is like.

lost

Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    I never look at the sub-forum names. Just what pops up in the new screen
    Even on the new screen there is a column displaying the forum (far righthand side).
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Climate wise Albena beats Tromso hand down. I spent my first sixteen years in Murmansk (which is on the same latitude as Tromso, about 400km east and in the same region). While climate is mild by the Arctic standards, it's nothing to write home about, even the summer. Also Polar day(or Midnight sun) might be fun for a day or two, but it'll be a problem for those not used to it (e.g. 99% of the players).

On the other hand Albena is 30km from Varna which is a nice Black Sea resort.
    This part of Bulgaria (called Gold Sands!) is their Gold Coast with excellent beaches.

I admit that:
    1. Never been there.
    2. Have no clue as far as other conditions concerned.

PS. I just checked Wikipedia, Albena is the purpose-built resorts, which validates my comparison to Gold Coast.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Climate wise Albena beats Tromso hand down. I spent my first sixteen years in Murmansk (which is on the same latitude as Tromso, about 400km east and in the same region). While climate is mild by the Arctic standards, it's nothing to write home about, even the summer. Also Polar day(or Midnight sun) might be fun for a day or two, but it'll be a problem for those not used to it (e.g. 99% of the players).

On the other hand Albena is 30km from Varna which is a nice Black Sea resort.
    This part of Bulgaria (called Gold Sands!) is their Gold Coast with excellent beaches.

I admit that:
    1. Never been there.
    2. Have no clue as far as other conditions concerned.

PS. I just checked Wikipedia, Albena is the purpose-built resorts, which validates my comparison to Gold Coast.
    I guess the risk with Albena is that it might be too hot, but with a new purpose built venue it should be well airconditioned. Tromso will be cold but they know that and it too can be handled.
    Scott

Thread Information