Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

UK (and Irish) elections and politics

The American politics thread here has had a long and thriving existence but I'm wondering if anyone here has any views on what will happen in the UK General Election, which must be held in the next two months or so.

Put down the glasses!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I predict a pompous git will win.
    meep meep

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    I predict a pompous git will win.
    That's quite safe, unfortunately. The UK Conservatives are no longer much different from Labour; both run by elitist jerks who are happy to let Brussels bureaucrats have the real power in how the country is run.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Labour strategists gone nuts? "Step outside posh boy".

Whatever. This is what we like to see.

If these guys are looking for a confrontation, then I think Brown should definitely pick a fight with Russian leader, Putin. The Russians have apparently been provoking the Brits by intruding into British airspace with their old bombers and forcing the Brits to scramble. OTOH, the Russians will easily bitchslap the Brits with superior airpower.

AR
    Last edited by arosar; 01-04-2010 at 01:14 PM.

I'm fairly sure that article is satire. That said it's not too far removed from a degree of reality that roughness around the edges often doesn't hurt a politician's image as much as it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'm fairly sure that article is satire.
    Could even be an April Fool's Day joke!

Definitely. It's all over Twitter.

AR

Funny thing is, I thought the "Step Outside Posh Boy" one was actually pretty good. But "I Took Billions From Pensions Wanna Make Something Of It?" is a bit of a giveaway, as is the staged-fight idea.

There is widespread reporting of May 6 as the likely election date.

Polling showed Liberal Democrats leader Nick Clegg as having won the first debate, even in the opinion of Tory voters. This lead to a substantial poll surge for the Liberal Democrats especially among those who watched the debate, but it still has three weeks to wash out of the system.

Cameron reckons that Britain is Broken and that he's going to fix this. But The Guardian asks, "Is Britain Broken?"

AR

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Polling showed Liberal Democrats leader Nick Clegg as having won the first debate, even in the opinion of Tory voters. This lead to a substantial poll surge for the Liberal Democrats especially among those who watched the debate, but it still has three weeks to wash out of the system.
    I think there is two more debates so if he wins them as well the surge in the polls might be sustained. They are though on different subjects so maybe the result will be different.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    I think there is two more debates so if he wins them as well the surge in the polls might be sustained. They are though on different subjects so maybe the result will be different.
    Also the common pattern in three-party contests is that the two biggest parties attack each other early in the campaign and then whichever of them feels most threatened by the third attacks it at the end.

Clegg got Brown and Cameron with a classic third-party line about the more the two of them attack each other the more they sound the same.

There is still a big Lib-Dem surge in polling though not too much should be made of it yet since they are unlikely to get fair return for their votes from the FPP electoral system. Also the Tories are now starting to attack them (finally!)

Could be we will see the Tories win the most seats but the Lib-Dems still not put them into power.

Thread Information