Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Round 2

126 JOHNSON
    46 HUNT
    41 GOVE
    37 STEWART
    33 JAVID
    30 RAAB

Raab out (last and failed to make threshhold anyway); Javid made the threshhold exactly. Hancock withdrew after the first ballot.
    And now Rory Stewart is also out.

I'm told that further members of the Shepherd family are looking in to migrating to Australia if BoJo wins!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Fourth round (from BBC politics)

• Boris Johnson 157 (+14)
    • Michael Gove 61 (+10)
    • Jeremy Hunt 59 (+5)

Eliminated:

• Sajid Javid 34 (-4)

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Final two Johnson and Hunt, as Gove is piped at the post...

Johnson 160
    Hunt 77
    Gove 75

Analysis by Laura Kuenssberg: -
    There's no doubt that Mr Johnson is, at this stage (and there's a long way to go), widely expected to end up in Number 10.

But this result is an enormous relief to his camp, for the simple reason that they think Mr Hunt is easier to beat.

Forget any differences in style between the two challengers and their comparative talents - Jeremy Hunt voted Remain in the EU referendum.

And for many Tory members it is a priority for the next leader to have been committed to that cause, rather than a recent convert, however zealous.

Gove supporters alleging tactical voting. What a surprise. System was incredibly gameable. Any candidate who couldn't get a third of the vote was always at risk of getting gamed by the leader.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    It seems certain that Johnson will be the UKs new PM next week. You just need to look here https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/sta...76827533156355 to see why that's a very bad idea.

Boris Johnson wins the ballot with 66.4%. He will be sworn in tomorrow.

Australia: "Donald Trump is the biggest joke of a leader on the world stage."
    UK: "Hold my beer."
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Australia: "Donald Trump is the biggest joke of a leader on the world stage."
    UK: "Hold my beer."
    Sore loser ×2 ↑↑

Trump looks like winning by an even bigger electoral college margin because the Dems are lurching so far leftwards, and finally the UK has a leader who will implement the will of the people as expressed in the Brexit referendum. The people of the vast majority of USA counties have rejected rule by an elitist coastal class, and the people of the UK rejected rule by unaccountable bureaucrats in Brussels.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Sore loser ×2 ↑↑

Trump looks like winning by an even bigger electoral college margin because the Dems are lurching so far leftwards, and finally the UK has a leader who will implement the will of the people as expressed in the Brexit referendum. The people of the vast majority of USA counties have rejected rule by an elitist coastal class, and the people of the UK rejected rule by unaccountable bureaucrats in Brussels.
    Errr, I didn't have a horse in this particular race, so not sure what I am meant to have lost? My comment is purely as an occasional observer of UK politics, that Johnson appears to be the comic relief of the cast. Is that wrong?

Also my understanding is, again just as an occasional observer, that his predecessor was trying to execute Brexit. Trying quite a lot actually.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Word that Johnson is intending to prorogue Parliament to stop the Parliament from mucking about with what he wants to do with Brexit. Interesting to see if anyone can find a way to stop him. Prorogation is actually hard to stop because it is a royal prerogative exercised on advice directly from the government (not necessarily the parliament.)

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Word that Johnson is intending to prorogue Parliament to stop the Parliament from mucking about with what he wants to do with Brexit. Interesting to see if anyone can find a way to stop him. Prorogation is actually hard to stop because it is a royal prerogative exercised on advice directly from the government (not necessarily the parliament.)
    Of course during the referendum Brexit was promised as a way of returning control to the British people. Now a leader that they didn't elect will be making decisions that they can't stop. While Brexit is driving the economy into recession.

Errr, I didn't have a horse in this particular race, so not sure what I am meant to have lost? My comment is purely as an occasional observer of UK politics, that Johnson appears to be the comic relief of the cast. Is that wrong?

Also my understanding is, again just as an occasional observer, that his predecessor was trying to execute Brexit. Trying quite a lot actually.
    I haven't read this thread but there are allegations that the Brexit poll was sabotaged/influenced by Russia to divide Europe.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

No. I withdraw and apologize.

Theresa May was a Remainer, and seemed to be making too great concessions to the EU.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Of course during the referendum Brexit was promised as a way of returning control to the British people.
    Hard to argue with that. A good majority of Britons wanted laws to be made by British elected leaders, not by Brussels bureaucrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Now a leader that they didn't elect will be making decisions that they can't stop. While Brexit is driving the economy into recession.
    Are you sure that Brexit is the main cause? The USA's trade war with China is having a lot of effects in other countries.

A lot of the problem is due to the UK's horribly high tariffs, much worse than Trump's, for non-UK members.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    A good majority of Britons wanted laws to be made by British elected leaders, not by Brussels bureaucrats.
    You mean a rather thin majority (51.9%) of those (72.2%) who actually voted, meaning that only 37.5% (not a majority at all) actually voted to leave.

Of course it is what it is and those who didn't vote in effect consented to whatever the rest decided. But it's simply not the case that a "majority of Britons" expressed any particular view.

Thread Information