0 0%
  • Greens, maaaaaan. Pass da bong.

0 0%
  • Al Qaeda

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Federal Election 2004 (Coalition Wins)

Who do you think will win the federal election? (To be more specific, the poll question asks which party (if any) you think will hold the majority in the House of Reps, and how many more seats it will have than all the others combined. IIIRC Howard's current majority is 14 seats.)

I will post some more illuminating comments here later hopefully, for now just wanted to get the poll started.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

i am a greens voter but i dont smoke bongs, so who can i vote for then, i dont like any of the options

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    i am a greens voter but i dont smoke bongs, so who can i vote for then, i dont like any of the options
    Greens are ratbags. But the point of the poll is not who you would vote for, but who do you think will win. Except for very optimistic, this is not the same thing.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Greens are ratbags.
    a deeply insightful comment there

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    a deeply insightful comment there
    It is spoken with some authority. My federal member is a Green. There aren't too many people in Australia who can say that!

I wanted to say Al Qaeda... but it's not a government party, you should have put Taliban, hehe. I would have voted for them.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

CC FIDE Master

Federal Election

I have to politely disagree with Barry Cox view of the Greens. While we all have images of them hugging trees, or harrassing shipping vessels they are playing a more important role in Australian politics. After the self destruction of the Democrats, the Greens offer a path to the left for Australian voters.

The Greens will do very well this election and will gain more influence in the senate.

Lee Forace (Liberaci)

Forace's Legacy: Swap off when you're down

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    I think perhaps Labor might get in narrrowly perhaps on Green preferences.

I myself am normally a Liberal voter but i'm not aware of what my MP has done for his electorate in the past term. However i know that there will not be a change because this area is a safe liberal seat.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberaci
    I have to politely disagree with Barry Cox view of the Greens. While we all have images of them hugging trees, or harrassing shipping vessels they are playing a more important role in Australian politics. After the self destruction of the Democrats, the Greens offer a path to the left for Australian voters.

The Greens will do very well this election and will gain more influence in the senate.
    I thought it was Green Peace which is doing the grass roots activities you describe above, not the Greens. However I do agree that the Greens will probably do well at this election simply due to a lack of other serious options.

However, minor party politics is a blight on out legislative system and I would urge all voters to abandon them and vote for one of the two major parties. Our constitution never intended the lower house to be held to ransom by a small cartel of unrepresentitive swill and it makes our system less democratic then it would otherwise be.

One just has to look at the pandering to Sen. Harradine and thoroughly useless amendments that have been made to bills at his whim for examples of a system which is not working. Similar examples can be found where Greens and Democrats have flexed their muscle in the Senate and wielded a politic power far beyond their representation at the expense of the majority of Australians who did not vote for them.

I say, restore the two party system. Dare I say, "time for the clowns to leave the circus"?

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    I would like to reverse my prediction of a narrow Labour win, to a narrow liberal win. Reason? Because I was predicting with my heart - my head says it will be The Rodent by a twitching nose.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    I say, restore the two party system. Dare I say, "time for the clowns to leave the circus"?
    As much as I am a bit radical, I do concede that it is stability (not to be confused with conservetism) of western governments generally that have facilitated our wealth and safty.

I know of no study that has found any correlation between the number of politicians/houses/parties/terms et cetera, and wealth/progess. KB should know if there is one.

A few years back I read of a paper that found there was no difference between economy's growth and the government's nominal left-right status. That's food for thought.

For these reasons, I no longer get too hot under the collar over our system of governence.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    . . . it will be The Rodent by a twitching nose.
    I tend to agree with you. The Libs' scaremongering over interest rates last week really worked. And the fact that this PM is a lying bastard doesn't appear to be a crucial issue in terms of voting intentions.

Funny though, anyone notice Bush giving Howard a helping hand last week at the RNC? When Bush thanked his wise foreign counsellors, Howard's name came first. Normally, it's Blair's name.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I tend to agree with you. The Libs' scaremongering over interest rates last week really worked. And the fact that this PM is a lying bastard doesn't appear to be a crucial issue in terms of voting intentions.

Funny though, anyone notice Bush giving Howard a helping hand last week at the RNC? When Bush thanked his wise foreign counsellors, Howard's name came first. Normally, it's Blair's name.

AR
    Bliar isnt currently up for re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar

AR
    Blair was recently invited to the USA to recieve recognition and honours for his part in the war. He declined - I think because he has finally realised how dangerous the Holy Bush is, partly because it's a Republican Party publiticity stunt.
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    I wanted to say Al Qaeda... but it's not a government party, you should have put Taliban, hehe. I would have voted for them.
    everything ok sonny boy?

Seriously I can't even joke about terrorists any more.

Thread Information