Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Too many websites

I am a keen player from Victoria but have a concern regarding all of Australia. Wouldn't it be better if all state associations could run their websites directly through ACF, auschess.org rather than simply doing their own. Ive had a look and apart from CV, the rest leave a fair bit to be desired. This would unify Australian chess more. Half the time websites have been updated for months-years. A tighter network between associations is required for australian chess to imrove.

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doc
    I am a keen player from Victoria but have a concern regarding all of Australia. Wouldn't it be better if all state associations could run their websites directly through ACF, auschess.org rather than simply doing their own. Ive had a look and apart from CV, the rest leave a fair bit to be desired. This would unify Australian chess more. Half the time websites have been updated for months-years. A tighter network between associations is required for australian chess to imrove.
    A good point Doc, u, ment to make.
    (Sorry, could not resist that).

We had a proliferation occur at Club level with the VIC OPEN, and the Box Hill site. Fortunately we now have consolidated back to 1 for
    Box Hill
    VIC OPEN
    Whitehorse.

The point you make deserves consideration. Perhaps if ChessVICTORIA could publish a schedule of charges for hosting other STATES sites?

starter

I am a keen player from Victoria but have a concern regarding all of Australia. Wouldn't it be better if all state associations could run their websites directly through ACF, auschess.org rather than simply doing their own. Ive had a look and apart from CV, the rest leave a fair bit to be desired.
    You must be joking.
    Then again you are a mexican.

This would unify Australian chess more. Half the time websites have been updated for months-years.
    That isnt really correct.
    I know the NSWCA website is usually updated at least weekly.
    Other association websites are also updated on a regular basis.

A tighter network between associations is required for australian chess to imrove.
    That has nothing really to do with hosting all the associations websites on the acf site.
    After all it isnt like paulb would be responsible for the content of the states web pages.
    They would all be maintained by their states respective webmasters.

Anyway if someone from NSW really wants to know whats happening tournament wise in Victoria they can always find out from either the ACF bulletin or navigating with a single click from the ACF web site.

Fair go Bill, he is only 14 posts into a career.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You must be joking.
    Then again you are a mexican.
    Which hat are you wearing for this comment Bill?

1 NSW President?
    or
    2 Ratings Officer
    or
    3 BB pundit
    or
    4 NSW axis of condescension

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 26-08-2004 at 12:22 PM.

I have to say that I actually feel for doc on this one. I'm not sure what Bill's on about.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Which hat are you wearing for this comment Bill?

1 NSW President?
    or
    2 Ratings Officer
    or
    3 BB pundit
    or
    4 NSW axis of condescension

starter
    For that particular comment BB pundit.

A mexican thinks the mexican web site is fine but all the others are lacking.
    Sounds objective to me.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I have to say that I actually feel for doc on this one. I'm not sure what Bill's on about.

AR
    Amiel mate, as a non volunteer you may not appreciate it but someone has to do the actual work.
    It would be interesting to know if the doc is more than just a keen player and actually is a volunteer or is just prepared to "volunteer" additional work for existing volunteer workers.
    Now it would not be reasonable to expect paulb to have to handle all the state associations web pages and content.
    Therefore they would be maintained by the respective state associations webmasters.
    As such the content and layout of the respective state association web pages would no doubt remain the same.

In that case whats the difference between a web page for say CV being on the actual ACF server with a link on the main page as opposed to the current situation where there is a link on the main page to the CV server.

For that particular comment BB pundit.

A mexican thinks the mexican web site is fine but all the others are lacking.
    Sounds objective to me.
    Thanks Bill. Just checking for confirmation.
    So, hat #4 it is.

starter

is just prepared to "volunteer" additional work for existing volunteer workers.
    alot of ppl are keen for this volunteer job

Thanks Bill. Just checking for confirmation.
    So, hat #4 it is.

starter
    No, hat #3.
    If it was #4, I would have been heaps more condecending.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    alot of ppl are keen for this volunteer job
    Thats because its the easiest.

Amiel mate, as a non volunteer you may not appreciate it but someone has to do the actual work.
    It would be interesting to know if the doc is more than just a keen player and actually is a volunteer or is just prepared to "volunteer" additional work for existing volunteer workers.
    Bill
    Doc headed his thread...too many web-sites. He is calling for rationalisation. I read his post #1 to use the ACF as an example only. Any other site/service would be in the spirit of rationalisation.
    If you strip away your argument about the transfer of load to Paul B, and strip away the idea that it be voluntary rather than paid for, there may be a good idea lurking underneath. Have a think about it. Perhaps NSW could be the 'host'.

Now it would not be reasonable to expect paulb to have to handle all the state associations web pages and content.
    Therefore they would be maintained by the respective state associations webmasters.
    As such the content and layout of the respective state association web pages would no doubt remain the same.
    Maybe not.

Perhaps there is value in adopting a best-of-breed approach and making it available for all states. For example; I challenge you to find a site that loads faster than the Box Hill site. But I would not defend the Box Hill site FORMAT. I am arguing that there is perhaps value in seeking the best of all parameters and then making available to all States.

In that case whats the difference between a web page for say CV being on the actual ACF server with a link on the main page as opposed to the current situation where there is a link on the main page to the CV server.
    I would agree with you if this is all that happened on 'rationalisation'.

starter

Bill
    Doc headed his thread...too many web-sites. He is calling for rationalisation. I read his post #1 to use the ACF as an example only. Any other site/service would be in the spirit of rationalisation.
    Nice try starter but thats not what he said.
    He may have headed it too many web-sites but in the body of his post he said:
    "Wouldn't it be better if all state associations could run their websites directly through ACF, auschess.org rather than simply doing their own."

All that apprently means is have the state associations web sites on the ACF server.

If he meant something different he should have been clearer.

You are only literal when it suits you Bill. And that is not honest.

Nice try starter but thats not what he said.
    He may have headed it too many web-sites but in the body of his post he said:
    "Wouldn't it be better if all state associations could run their websites directly through ACF, auschess.org rather than simply doing their own."

All that apprently means is have the state associations web sites on the ACF server.

If he meant something different he should have been clearer.
    Bill
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes.

If you read everything literally.
    But...what about the germ of the idea underneath?

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 26-08-2004 at 02:36 PM.

Bill
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes.

If you read everything literally.
    I suspect your reading into it what you want and not what was intended by the author.

But...what about the germ of the idea underneath?
    The trouble with germs is that you usually end up with some unwanted disease.

Thread Information