Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

MCC ANZAC Day Weekender!

MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB
    ANZAC DAY WEEKENDER

A FIDE rated event.

Guaranteed Prize Money!
    $500 First prize!

When: Saturday April 24th to Monday April 26th.

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St. Fitzroy.

Format: 7 round Swiss.

Timetable: Round 1: Saturday April 24, 2pm
    Round 2: Saturday April 24, 7pm
    Round 3: Sunday April 25, 10am
    Round 4: Sunday April 25, 2pm
    Round 5: Sunday April 25, 7pm
    Round 6: Monday April 26, 10am
    Round 7: Monday April 26, 3pm

Time controls: 90 min + 30 seconds per move.

Grand Prix: Catagory 2

Prizes: The following prizes are guaranteed:
    1st, $500
    2nd, $300
    3rd, $200
    Rating prizes totaling $300

Rating: The event will be FIDE and ACF rated.

Arbiter: David Stimson

Pairings: Pairings will be done with Swissperfect

Parking: For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075.

Entry Fees: $65 full and $55 concession ($10 discount for MCC members) *note this is $10 more than advertised on the calendar

Enquires: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com
    People with nothing to hide post using their real names...

CC International Master

letter to the chess playing public

Dear chess players

At the beginning of 2010, the MCC committee distributed surveys asking players what sort of tournaments they were interested in playing in and what type of tournaments the MCC was running well or badly and what could be improved about tournaments at MCC.

We put out the same surveys at the start of 2009 and the overwhelming majority of people who filled them out wanted the return of the MCC Saturday Allegro. This is why we have promoted that event so heavily over the past year. The allegro is now firmly entrenched as a great tournament which anyone is welcome to play in.

The results of this years surveys however, have been rather different. While people are still happy with our allegro, our Monday evening events and our Cup Weekender, a large number of people considered our smaller weekenders to be not up to expected standards - with the Australia Day weekender a low point...

In order to provide what the punters want, the MCC is giving its smaller weekenders special attention this year (in the way we gave the allegro special attention last year) so that they can grow and flourish into events which most players want to play in.

The following changes have been put in place so that our ANZAC Day Weekender has every chance of success:

1. The event will be FIDE rated. (last year it was only ACF rated)

2. The event will be a Catagory 2 Grand Prix Event. (last year it was Cat 1)

3. The first 3 prizes are guaranteed - $500 first, $300 second and $200 third. (last year the prize pool was significantly lower)

4. The event will be 7 rounds. (last year it was 5 rounds)

5. The pairings will be done using Swissperfect. (last year they were done manually)

6. The event is being promoted nearly 2 months in advance in order to secure a maximum attendence. (last year things were not so well organised)

7. The allegro will not be run on the ANZAC Day weekend, so the weekender will have the centre stage. (last year both events ran at once)

These changes have been made because they reflect the things that the people who filled out our surveys felt were important when participating in a weekend chess tournament. We have tried to please a much larger section of the chess public through these changes.

However, this tournament will only become a great tournament, and a permanent fixture on the Australian chess calendar if people actually support the event and play in it. The MCC has done its bit by making changes that you, the chess playing public asked for. We now ask all of you to support this event and seriously consider playing in it.

I hope to start a list of confirmed entries in the next few days. I would love to see all of your names on it!

Grant Szuveges, MCC President

I am definitely playing in this tournament
    Never get cocky when you are playing a low rated player.

GO Juventus and Collingwood in 2011

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Szuveges

7. The allegro will not be run on the ANZAC Day weekend, so the weekender will have the centre stage. (last year both events ran at once)
    Many of the allegro players do not play tournaments with longer time limits. Furthermore, some people have to work during public holidays (myself included) so they will not be able to participate in the weekender anyhow.

Nobody disputes center stage of the ANZAC weekender (it is promising to be a great event) but its a pity there will be no Allegro
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Grant, I appreciate that you have listened to the survey responses and made changes accordingly. Well done. I hope the event is a success.
    Scott.. enjoying Melbourne and Wyndham Chess Club and Hobsons Bay Chess club!

Great stuff, Grant. Once a flyer is ready, I’ll distribute it at Croydon.

About the allegro, whilst the regulars might be sad to miss out for one week, my feeling is that this way the club is able to completely focus on running our weekenders properly; there’s a lot of work involved in doing that. From a quick glance at the lists of players, I’d estimate at least two thirds of the allegro players do play in regular tournaments and from my observations, the allegro has taken away some of the life force of the weekenders it has run alongside: The focus of the MCC organisers is split, the focus of the members, players and spectators is split, the room which traditionally has the top boards is taken away from the weekender etc.
    If the MCC can build up its weekenders so they are well run and well supported then we could consider having a mini allegro during a break in play but for now I’m all for focussing solely on the weekender and seeing where that takes us.
    Last edited by Watto; 05-03-2010 at 10:02 AM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maddam12
    I am definitely playing in this tournament
    Michael,

Can I put your name down as the first official entry? Id like to get the list started asap

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    Great stuff, Grant. Once a flyer is ready, Iíll distribute it at Croydon.

About the allegro, whilst the regulars might be sad to miss out for one week, my feeling is that this way the club is able to completely focus on running our weekenders properly; thereís a lot of work involved in doing that. From a quick glance at the lists of players, Iíd estimate at least two thirds of the allegro players do play in regular tournaments and from my observations, the allegro has taken away some of the life force of the weekenders it has run alongside.

The focus of the MCC organisers is split, the focus of the members, players and spectators is split, the room which traditionally has the top boards is taken away from the weekender etc. If the MCC can build up its weekenders so they are well run and well supported then we could consider having a mini allegro during a break in play but for now Iím all for focussing solely on the weekender and seeing where that takes us.
    Jean,

What you have said represents the exact feeling of the MCC committee. We all need to get on board with this tournament (and our other smaller weekenders) so that we can provide a good environment for all chess players to play in - not just the ones who like the quick time controls.

That said, we are still taking our allegro extremely seriously and hope that it continues to grow and prosper. We still havnt had a field of 40 for the allegro yet but we have come very close several times.

Ive sent you, and many other people an ANZAC Day weekender flyer via email. You can use that one if you like, or pick one up next time you are at MCC.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Many of the allegro players do not play tournaments with longer time limits. Furthermore, some people have to work during public holidays (myself included) so they will not be able to participate in the weekender anyhow.

Nobody disputes center stage of the ANZAC weekender (it is promising to be a great event) but its a pity there will be no Allegro
    I agree that its a pity that there will be no allegro that weekend, but we need to run the club in a balanced manner and give all players the opportunity to feel that their favourite types of chess are taken seriously.

This will only affect the allegro for 4 weekends per year, meaning that MCC will still run 48 allegros for players to play in if they wish. The allegro players are getting their fair share of the pie I think.

Ive sent you, and many other people an ANZAC Day weekender flyer via email. You can use that one if you like, or pick one up next time you are at MCC.
    Ah, thanks. I havenít had a chance to look at my email properly.

Michael,

Can I put your name down as the first official entry? Id like to get the list started asap
    Yes
    Never get cocky when you are playing a low rated player.

GO Juventus and Collingwood in 2011

CC Grandmaster
    Jean,

What you have said represents the exact feeling of the MCC committee. We all need to get on board with this tournament (and our other smaller weekenders) so that we can provide a good environment for all chess players to play in - not just the ones who like the quick time controls.

That said, we are still taking our allegro extremely seriously and hope that it continues to grow and prosper. We still havnt had a field of 40 for the allegro yet but we have come very close several times.

Okie, if the committee feels that having no allegro improves environment for the weekenders - lets have no allegro (even though, I still do not see the connection between the two to be honest). Hopefully, T. Toshevsky, B, Toshevsky, Krunic and other 'strictly allegro'' players will take this opportunity to play in a bigger event.

Okie, if the committee feels that having no allegro improves environment for the weekenders - lets have no allegro (even though, I still do not see the connection between the two to be honest). Hopefully, T. Toshevsky, B, Toshevsky, Krunic and other 'strictly allegro'' players will take this opportunity to play in a bigger event.
    I hope that's not how you spelled their names on the rating cards..

Tosevski*

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartBreak Kid
    I hope that's not how you spelled their names on the rating cards..

Tosevski*
    Frank, you are running it tomorrow...so hope you type them in correctly

Frank, you are running it tomorrow...so hope you type them in correctly
    That hasn't seemed to be a problem.

And why am I doing it >_> I want to play without distraction as well.

Thread Information