Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

(split from Existence of God)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    Lets call a truce on the insults, it adds nothing to debate.
    For goodness sake, yes! Maybe Kevin and Bill don't realise it but they both look like the jerks when they give out insults.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-08-2004 at 01:10 AM.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Richards
    Lets call a truce on the insults, it adds nothing to debate.
    Typical craven trolling tactic from Dr Dave here:

1. Insult opponent (eg by calling their endeavour "completely pretentious" without remotely adequate supporting arguments).
    2. Get insulted in return.
    3. Call for truce on insults and say that they add nothing to debate.

Dave, so long as you keep spewing dismissive rubbish that you should have the intellect to know is rubbish, there will be no truce to the insults, because you deserve them all. If you don't want to sleep in that bed then stop making it. That should be simple enough even for you to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    For goodness sake, yes! Maybe Kevin and Bill don't realise it but they both look like the jerks when they give out insults.
    Hmmmm, I may have missed the stage of your excuse for an argument when you attempted to convince me that this pointless unoriginal trollswill has any more intellectual merit than the oft-repeated oxymoron "If you can't say anything nice about anyone, don't say anything at all". (NB This is only an oxymoron when said by itself with no other comments ... as it very often is. )

Care to try again, both of you, perhaps without the self-defeating cheapos?
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham

1. Insult opponent (eg by calling their endeavour "completely pretentious" without remotely adequate supporting arguments).
    2. Get insulted in return.
    3. Call for truce on insults and say that they add nothing to debate.

Dave, so long as you keep spewing dismissive rubbish that you should have the intellect to know is rubbish, there will be no truce to the insults, because you deserve them all. If you don't want to sleep in that bed then stop making it. That should be simple enough even for you to grasp.
    Considering the number of times he has done it, it appears he really likes lying in that bed.

Hmmmm, I may have missed the stage of your excuse for an argument when you attempted to convince me that this pointless unoriginal trollswill has any more intellectual merit than the oft-repeated oxymoron "If you can't say anything nice about anyone, don't say anything at all". (NB This is only an oxymoron when said by itself with no other comments ... as it very often is. )
    BD should understand if DR continues to repeat the same things over and over again even after it has been shown to be based on no facts then he can expect to have his intelligence questioned.

Some how I doubt it.

Put the reply to the on-topic parts of David's post here in case the rest blows up and needs to be moved - as, given the abysmally weak position Dave and Bruce have kicked off from, I'm rather hoping that it will.

Kevin, why must everything be a war for you? Is there some kind of deep-seated psychological reason for your propensity to argue the point when there is nothing even there to argue? I did say you wouldn't realise you come off in such a way but even after I make it clear you keep on going. You call 'my' argument (??) abysmally weak? You're obviously not a good judge of how other people perceive you - my point. Funny that... but more amusingly all you're doing is continuing to make my case stronger. Attack the argument, not the person - it's friendly advice, nothing more, nothing less.

P.S. I think Dave Richards is exceedingly polite given the crap you and Bill heap against him. Even if you think his points aren't well made, some of the things you've called him are incredibly childish. Soon you'll be driving him away and everyone else.
    Last edited by Alan Shore; 25-08-2004 at 12:38 AM.

Kevin, why must everything be a war for you?
    It doesn't have to. In this case, you decided to have a go at me, and it was a very lame and boring go of the kind I have seen dozens if not hundreds of times before in my wanderings upon the net.

I have a low patience level with the same old invalid trash being vomited at me over and over again - whether in seriousness or in a lame attempt at a joke. I prefer to see things that remind me that the people who surround me (metaphorically) are capable of having a clue.

Is there some kind of deep-seated psychological reason for your propensity to argue the point when there is nothing even there to argue?
    There was something to argue - even if you provided no evidence for it.

You're obviously not a good judge of how other people perceive you - my point.
    If their perceptions are based on a failure to comprehend the situation then their opinions on the topic are worthless and I do not care what they think of me. For what it's worth though, nearly every complaint has been from a past antagonist rather than from a neutral party anyway.

Funny that... but more amusingly all you're doing is continuing to make my case stronger.
    Amuse yourself with that perception if you like.

Attack the argument, not the person - it's friendly advice, nothing more, nothing less.
    I don't think you're being entirely honest there ... in general in debates I will attack the argument but where a person makes stupid arguments over and over again and even after they have been refuted, then that indicates a personal failing, and I will also attack that.

It's quite incredible - and indeed reflects poorly on you - that you don't make any explicit reference to the personal attacks Dave often makes on Bill and I in your post above. I look forward to you criticising David personally for his past personal attacks on me. Failure to do so with equal conviction to the above will result in you being considered hopelessly biased and will be used against you every time you raise such points again in the future.

P.S. I think Dave Richards is exceedingly polite given the crap you and Bill heap against him.
    Then you have not been paying attention to the amount of (actual) crap he has spouted at us, and the number of times he has been the one to divert the debate into personal attacks upon being disproven. Go and reread every ratings thread ever posted on this board and come back when you realise what has really been going on.

Even if you think his points aren't well made, some of the things you've called him are incredibly childish.
    I'm not taking any maturity lessons from you and your shrill, thin-skinned pseudo-precocious "look how adult I am now" nonsense, sunshine. Many of the things Dave's said are incredibly childish. He has frequently been treated with more respect than he deserves by both Bill and I. Bill, in particular, under a constant barrage of ineffectual but tiresome near-defamation over a role he puts a lot of work into voluntarily for the ACF, has been a lot more patient than he needs to be. He would be more than justified in refusing to speak to Dave at all by now, and I suspect he only restrains himself from this action because of the minute risk that Dave's blather on ratings might actually convince some poor sap somewhere sometime in the next million years.

Granted, Bill enjoys rubbing it in by calling Dave a moron and a goose at almost every opportunity, and there is a kind-of game-like element to flaming skill that I enjoy practicing - it is useful in more public and important debates too. Neither of these were hanging offences last time I checked.

Soon you'll be driving him away and everyone else.
    Nonsense - this has been going on for years and would have driven him (and everyone else) away long ago if it was going to. Given the extraordinary volume of rubbish he sprouts, I can't say that I'd be suicidally depressed if he did drive himself away one day. I would prefer that he cleaned up his act instead of deliberately arguing below his capacity.

PS I interpret your entire post as an attempt to stir me up, but I am replying as if it is serious on the off chance that someone out there finds it convincing.
    Better leave it here for now - been nice chatting to you but it looks like I've got a thread to split.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-08-2004 at 01:13 AM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Kevin, I'm gobsmacked dude.. you turn a throwaway remark into a holy war. I expected you to kick up something but of this magnitude? You make a mockery of the phrase making a mountain out of a molehill! You really need to spend your time more productively.

Best wishes,
    Bruce

Then you have not been paying attention to the amount of (actual) crap he has spouted at us, and the number of times he has been the one to divert the debate into personal attacks upon being disproven. Go and reread every ratings thread ever posted on this board and come back when you realise what has really been going on.
    In fact to get a true appreciation BD would need to read the rating threads on the old ACF BB including the "lost threads" when the board was "hacked".
    David has been repeating the same rubbish since April last year.

In fact the final nail in his coffin on the ratings debate seemed to come from ChessMum in the Planned Ratings Changes thread.
    After she posted good ol' DR suddenly fell silent after what had been a sustained period of another of his attempted beatups

Kevin, I'm gobsmacked dude.. you turn a throwaway remark into a holy war.
    Sure you're not overestimating how seriously I'm taking it there?

I expected you to kick up something but of this magnitude? You make a mockery of the phrase making a mountain out of a molehill!
    It's a universal law of flaming that sometimes the most modest and ordinary material is the most inspirational. Strange but true. Not that the above is anything like what I'd do if I really got warmed up.

You really need to spend your time more productively.
    Ooooh, show me the way, tell me how, do.

PS How fast do you type?

Sure you're not overestimating how seriously I'm taking it there?
    Well it appears you're taking it very seriously, which left me quite bemused.

It's a universal law of flaming that sometimes the most modest and ordinary material is the most inspirational. Strange but true. Not that the above is anything like what I'd do if I really got warmed up.
    A universal law of flaming, lol... true geekspeak there

Ooooh, show me the way, tell me how, do.
    Try getting a girlfriend

Failing that, I'm sure you could discover many great new things by reading, pondering, experimenting.. but pedantically defending your honour on a BB can't qualify. I'm sure it's fine once in a while when you're bored but I'm sure you could come up with something you'd rather be doing, right?

PS How fast do you type?
    Um, fastish.. on this BB I don't really take much care in what I say, just rap it out.. it's only a BB after all.

I'm actually writing an assignment at the moment and writing a story too! So I've been posting here tonight during my break periods I guess..

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    I have had you sussed for yonks, ya little wanker. It is you who is the troll and have always been.

You have honed your skills in finding and highlighting the apparent inconsistancies in posts and then flogging the poster for it. You never explore a topic, you only engage in didactic intercourse. Your skin is thin - every time someone exposes your ravenous ego, you aim for theirs. You are a little boy with a big brain and no morals. I fully expect to see you go to gaol one day for something underhand, or be justifiably murdered by some Taswegen bogan whom you have unwisely shat on.

David, Bruce, FG7 and I all know you for what you are - the big C word.

Well it appears you're taking it very seriously, which left me quite bemused.
    Whatever leads you to that conclusion?

By the way, your last post was much longer than my last, so what conclusion should I draw?

A universal law of flaming, lol... true geekspeak there
    This from the person who holds two forum computer gaming titles, so back to you.

Try getting a girlfriend
    Bzzzt - presuming things about other people online is a remarkably error-fraught business. Actually I have a partner, who I've been with since the start of 1998. However she is currently working in England.

Failing that, I'm sure you could discover many great new things by reading, pondering, experimenting..
    Bzzzt again - you just don't know what you're talking about. I did much of my reading and pondering over the years when I was off at Uni doing a philosophy/politics degree and otherwise goofing about. I didn't even start using the 'net until I was in my mid-20s. And I'm still very active as a scientist, but looking for my little friends at 2:30 am is rather difficult, they're a bit on the small side to spotlight.

I'm sure it's fine once in a while when you're bored but I'm sure you could come up with something you'd rather be doing, right?
    If there was something I'd rather be doing, by definition I'd be doing it.

I'm usually doing other things at the same time too, like listening to music or even (shudder) watching TV. Now that's a waste of time if ever there was one. Sometimes I work in other windows on and off while posting here and elsewhere.

on this BB I don't really take much care in what I say, just rap it out.. it's only a BB after all.
    I've noticed.

Fine Kev, looks like you've got the time to waste then. I on the other hand, do not. Consider this the final time I'll engage in pointless idle banter with you. Good night.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    I have had you sussed for yonks, ya little wanker. It is you who is the troll and have always been.
    Actually I don't do that much trolling here - unlike you.

You have honed your skills in finding and highlighting the apparent inconsistancies in posts and then flogging the poster for it.
    The inconsistencies must be real enough or else my errors would be demonstrated. In general I only bag posters personally for habitual fact-aversion, unfair attacks on others and so on - often after a fair amount of personal bagging from them too.

You never explore a topic, you only engage in didactic intercourse.
    Anyone casually flicking through the BB will see that I often "explore topics", even rubbish ones raised by you, so the only one engaging in "didactic intercourse" here is you ... leaving only the question: "with who?"

Your skin is thin - every time someone exposes your ravenous ego, you aim for theirs.
    I have never denied having a substantial ego; I need to give you something to exaggerate about. But what do you mean by the latter - explain - do you mean I accuse them of being egomaniacs themselves, that I seek to destroy their egos, or both? Give examples.

As for thin skin, if someone runs away bleating about how unfairly they are being treated from our little exchanges over the last 18 months, it really does tend to be you. You like to portray yourself as a big bully boy but once a dent is casually inflicted on that exterior there is often not a lot beneath it.

You are a little boy with a big brain and no morals.
    I'm no more little than my brain is large, and I don't have to take "boy" from some armchair legend whose post-kindy maturity lessons appear to have been learnt largely from earnest conversation with a stubbie and listening to jokes with naughty words in them. So this is all just water off the goose's back and will avail you nought.

Morals, however, are always a fun topic to discuss with you, because despite your supposed breadth of academic experience, you only ever think in shallow pop cliches on this subject. I indeed have no objective morals, but I am free to have standards if I wish, and it would appear that I have acquired a few along the way. They are limiting in a sense, but they also give definition to a person's character. As suggested on another thread, judging someone on their record is probably a better way to judge anyone's "moral" behaviour than by listening to what blather they spout about what they supposedly believe.

I fully expect to see you go to gaol one day for something underhand
    Very unlikely. I enjoy many aspects of my freedom, am not financially greedy, and tend to be quite cautious when it comes to legal risk.

, or be justifiably murdered by some Taswegen bogan whom you have unwisely shat on.
    Some risk there - I have a certain cheekiness, and tend to talk back if some random idiot abuses me, though I am not especially hostile to bogans and haven't had any real bogan trouble for a while. But my guess (and experience) is that I would have the sense to run away in situations where your machismo would make you stay and fight like an idiot.

David, Bruce, FG7 and I all know you for what you are - the big C word.
    The mind boggles. I take it as a compliment and note with amusement your transparent attempt to recruit BD to your tagteam.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-08-2004 at 05:48 AM.

Consider this the final time I'll engage in pointless idle banter with you.
    I think it would be most unwise to consider any such thing.

You'll be back.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    The inconsistencies must be real enough or else my errors would be demonstrated.
    The errors are often not significant to the debate. They are throw away lines or liguistic imprecitions. Because you often cannot see the forest for the trees, you have to veiw every thing through a microscope. Your brain has no telescope.

I have never denied having a substantial ego; I need to give you something to exaggerate about. But what do you mean by the latter - explain - do you mean I accuse them of being egomaniacs themselves, that I seek to destroy their egos, or both? Give examples.
    I mean, that your ravenous ego needs feeding, so you kill and digest others.

As for thin skin, if someone runs away bleating about how unfairly they are being treated from our little exchanges over the last 18 months, it really does tend to be you. You like to portray yourself as a big bully boy but once a dent is casually inflicted on that exterior there is often not a lot beneath it.
    Yes, I am usually the one to pull the press the full flush on your contributions.
    Yes, I guess I am a kind of bully-boyon the BB. But unlike real bullies, I don't pick on the weak, I only fight the real bullies, like you and BG. And I don't creep off like a mongel curr when belted. I front up for the next round.
    As for dents, I can live with them. [snip]

Morals, however, are always a fun topic to discuss with you, because despite your supposed breadth of academic experience, you only ever think in shallow pop cliches on this subject.
    To talk of cliches is so cliche.
    The breadth of my academic experiance is not as wide as yours. However, my practical knowledge in everything from building construction to ski coaching, blue water yatch racing to bring up children ... makes your esoteric wanking, plain wanking.

I indeed have no objective morals, but I am free to have standards if I wish...
    Psychopath.

Very unlikely [gaol]. I enjoy many aspects of my freedom, am not financially greedy, and tend to be quite cautious when it comes to legal risk.
    It is your false sense of freedom that will lead you to gaol.

I would have the sense to run away in situations where your machismo would make you stay and fight like an idiot.
    Wrong. Unless trapped, I would fly like bullit. Trapped, I fight.

I take it as a compliment and note with amusement your transparent attempt to recruit BD to your tagteam.
    With time, the tag team will continue to grow, becoming a whole football team plus fans. You sh.t on too many people to stay alive.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 26-08-2004 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Matt can say what he likes about me, but sexual insults about my partner (who does not even post here) are even below his belt.

Thread Information