CC International Master

Ford Memorial starting date

I believe the NSWCA website currently has an incorrect starting date for the Ford Memorial -it is August 31 not Sept 7.

Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    I believe the NSWCA website currently has an incorrect starting date for the Ford Memorial -it is August 31 not Sept 7.
    you might be correct the north sydney leagues club calendar lists the ford memorial as starting 31st August.

Can someone tell me what at time the 1st round starts tonight? I don't have a flyer and couldn't find the info on the web site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexmdc
    Can someone tell me what at time the 1st round starts tonight? I don't have a flyer and couldn't find the info on the web site.

Thanks
    I cant be sure but I think Nth Sydney normally start their games at 7.30pm.
    However if you havent pre entered I would suggest getting their much ealier than that.

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    amdc, I recommend you assume it's a 7pm start. In the final round of the Open Grade Matches, we (Wests) assumed it started at 7:30pm like every other club. All four of us lost time on our clock. I turned up 3 (33) minutes late. Fortunately we still won 3-1 and took out the Open Grade, although I can't help thinking that an extra 30 minutes may have prevented me blundering away my winning advantage (and the Board 1 prize) when I was under time pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Canfell
    amdc, I recommend you assume it's a 7pm start. In the final round of the Open Grade Matches, we (Wests) assumed it started at 7:30pm like every other club. All four of us lost time on our clock. I turned up 3 (33) minutes late. Fortunately we still won 3-1 and took out the Open Grade, although I can't help thinking that an extra 30 minutes may have prevented me blundering away my winning advantage (and the Board 1 prize) when I was under time pressure.
    My reasoning was that the Nth sydney web page says:
    North Sydney Chess Club meets each Tuesday evening at 7.30pm in the Auditorium

However I have just confirmed with Norm Greenwood that it starts at 7.30pm.
    He explained that the only exception is with the Grade matches which start at 7.00pm as noted in the Grade match booklet.

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    However I have just confirmed with Norm Greenwood that it starts at 7.30pm. He explained that the only exception is with the Grade matches which start at 7.00pm as noted in the Grade match booklet.
    Right, I'm not blaming anyone, it's just that none of us were in possession of the booklet at the time.

CC International Master
    I got there last night around 7.35/40, expecting people to still be chatting or announcements being made or something, only to find I'd lost five minutes on the clock! This punctuality was very impressive and something I'm sure most NSW players would like to see more of(compare the NSW champs which started about an hour late).

Roger Cook is top seed, followed by Andrew Bird(I think). Armen Ayvazyan is playing too. Results etc should be up at www.northsydneychess.org at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    This punctuality was very impressive and something I'm sure most NSW players would like to see more of(compare the NSW champs which started about an hour late).
    NSW chess people are a bit like Greek people. You tell 'em to start at 7PM, they start at 8PM.

NSW should follow BHCC practice by providing discounts to early bird entries - to speed things up a bit. Anyway, this late starts is always the case. I've gotten used to it. So I just relax and chat to a few people.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    NSW should follow BHCC practice by providing discounts to early bird entries - to speed things up a bit.
    Most of our events have early bird discounts.
    The NSW Championship did.
    The trouble is you still get too many entries on the day.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Most of our events have early bird discounts.
    The NSW Championship did.
    The trouble is you still get too many entries on the day.
    Perhaps it's worth considering "increasing" the "early-bird discount". "Increase" it to the level the market will bear, I say!
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master
    I would go the other way-say something like "entries close 2pm and if you haven't entered by then, tough."

no entries on the day is the simplest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    no entries on the day is the simplest solution.
    Yeah...cos you're a dictatorial type, ain't ya?

AR

Thread Information