Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Church of the Brethren school funding

http://www.rationalistinternational....004/130.html#2

Article refers to Melrose Park School, St Marys Adelaide, describing it as an exclusivist Christian sect: "Its students are crippled by lack of technical understanding and skills and "blessed" with complete ignorance about basic chapters of modern science like the theory of evolution. This education excludes them from any higher education (universities are considered dangerous) and does not prepare them to master the challenges of modern day's world. " Article then criticises said school's access to government funding.

Anyone know more about the claims made in this article and able to comment further?

I was mysteriously signed up to said newsletter some years ago and have remained so because it sometimes carries interesting church/state issue material although I am definitely not a "rationalist". I have often wondered if antichrist signed me up.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Candidate Master
    Kevin, we have a few small offshoots of the Bretheren here in WA, mostly in small wheatbelt towns. They appear to have a semi Luddite view of the world, use of computers are banned although driving cars is allowed as long as they are not red for some reason. Thet are also very clannish and do not like members to associate with the general population or to marry outside the sect.

CC Grandmaster
    http://www.brfwitness.org/Articles/1968v3n2.htm
    This website has the basic beliefs of the Brethren which seem not be do different to alot of Christians but the seem to have a desire to live lives that are more seperate from the rest of society than alot of churches today.

I know nothing in particular about the school mentioned, but I see no problem with the school not teaching evolution as a fact. It is not, it is a load of nonsense. I would though at least tell people about evolution seeing it is so commonly accepted by people.
    Scott

my religious opinions are known here, but i have no problem in schools if both points of view are taught ie creation v evolution. this then gives each student more information and the opportunity to make an informed choice and then they can choose for themselves.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    my religious opinions are known here, but i have no problem in schools if both points of view are taught ie creation v evolution. this then gives each student more information and the opportunity to make an informed choice and then they can choose for themselves.
    Are they? You might have to refresh my memory.

I have a problem with creationism, creation-science (sic) or intelligent design or what ever other handle you come up with for religion being given time in a science class room. Perhaps in a general studies, history or even english, it would be appropriate in some contexts.

No science should be taught as "fact" in the strictest sense of the word. However, it is scientific and as factual as the periodic table of the elements or the formation of igneous rocks.

If anyone thinks they can debate that evolution cannot fly as a valid scietific theory please start a new thread and state your case...

And regarding the term "rationalist", it has been hijacked from it's original meaning and now applies to a specific subset of what I believe it was originally intended. Even though I don't make a habit of referring to myself as such I don't mind if people label me as such. As long as they don't then argue against the narrow definition of rationalism to which I don't adhere. Secular humanist is a more general term and one which I am more likely to use myself.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Are they? You might have to refresh my memory.
    didnt say it was happening, just was commenting that i had no problem if it was.

I have a problem with creationism, creation-science (sic) or intelligent design or what ever other handle you come up with for religion being given time in a science class room. Perhaps in a general studies, history or even english, it would be appropriate in some contexts.
    most schools have religious education classes anyways. I didnt attend many when i was at school, usually cause i would start to openly question what was being said and i would get tossed out cause they couldnt give me decent answers

didnt say it was happening, just was commenting that i had no problem if it was.
    I thought he was talkin' about your religious opinion?

most schools have religious education classes anyways. I didnt attend many when i was at school, usually cause i would start to openly question what was being said and i would get tossed out cause they couldnt give me decent answers
    Did they look up some sort of rule book and made an official complaint against you or something?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I thought he was talkin' about your religious opinion?
    devote athiest (if that is a category)

Did they look up some sort of rule book and made an official complaint against you or something?
    kept saying i was disturbing the class

hey gray....you ever viasited Galleries Victoria in Sydney about 18-24 months ago?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    hey gray....you ever viasited Galleries Victoria in Sydney about 18-24 months ago?

AR
    nope

Scripture in state schools is probably a necessary evil or at least so entrenched the time has not come to call for its removal just yet. While it remains optional and largely unfunded by the state, there are bigger fish to fry.

devote athiest (if that is a category)
    Asking an athiest for his religious opinion is like asking a bald man for his hair colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Scripture in state schools is probably a necessary evil or at least so entrenched the time has not come to call for its removal just yet. While it remains optional and largely unfunded by the state, there are bigger fish to fry.
    it wasnt optional at my primary school and i went to a state school.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver
    I know nothing in particular about the school mentioned, but I see no problem with the school not teaching evolution as a fact. It is not, it is a load of nonsense.
    I don't think you're anywhere near qualified enough in the science involved to be making such a statement.

Feel free to have a quick read of the material at http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html and get back to me if you can disprove any of it scientifically.

My main field is biogeography and there is enough in biogeography alone to completely scuttle creationism of the Noah's Ark variety. This stuff should only be taught only in comparative religion classes if at all and even then should be given pretty short shrift.

Note: I have no problem with people thread-drifting on this thread if they want to. I expected when I started it that it would go off topic within five posts. faeces gambit: thanks for the info. The aversion to red cars is interesting.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

it wasnt optional at my primary school and i went to a state school.
    Was it completely mandatory or could it have been optional but just not your decision as to whether you attended or not.

Thread Information