Croydon Chess Club 2010

Another year is under way at Croydon Chess Club (www.croydonchess.com) and our AGM was held last night (Thursday, 28th January). There is a combination of old stalwarts and new blood on the committee for 2010:

President: Richard Goldsmith
    Vice-President: Guy West
    Treasurer: Stephen Frost
    Secretary: Jean Watson
    General Member: Pearl Yung
    General Member: Ion Kloprogge

Head coach for 2010 will be Reg Chong, ably supported by Jamie Cross and N.Y.Wong, and a number of other club members will make cameo coaching appearances through the year.

The proposed budget and calendar have been approved, and the latter will make an appearance on the club's website this weekend.

Following the AGM we retired to play a bunch of blitz games. I had the pleasure of being flogged mercilessly in 4 games by IM West (a.k.a. Gattaca). A number of junior and senior visitors attended on the night and we hope to see them joining the club in the coming weeks.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Snail King
    Another year is under way at Croydon Chess Club (www.croydonchess.com) and our AGM was held last night (Thursday, 28th January). There is a combination of old stalwarts and new blood on the committee for 2010:
    Congratulations on giving yourself a break

Quote Originally Posted by The Snail King
    I had the pleasure of being flogged mercilessly in 4 games by IM West (a.k.a. Gattaca).
    Could have been worse - could have been 8.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Underpants
    Congratulations on giving yourself a break
    Yes, it wasn’t a very successful attempt at extricating himself from our clutches... TSK does an amazing amount for the club ('Treasurer’ really doesn’t begin to cover it), especially given that these days he rarely gets to enjoy a game of club chess due to his work commitments. So I hope as a committee we’ll be able to take on more of the work that he has continued to do each year so that next year he will get his much deserved break from his 5 year old ‘baby’ (if he wishes to of course! )

Another member who has been with Croydon CC since its founding year in 2005 is Dougy Stones, the outgoing Vice President. A big thank you to Dougy for all the coaching, arbiting and organising work that he’s done over the years for the club. His current study/work and family commitments prevent him from staying on in the role but hopefully those commitments won’t prevent him from playing in the occasional tournament.

Guy West agreed to take on the role of Vice President given Dougy’s decision. Ion Kloprogge agreed to become our second general committee member taking over from Wayne Young. Thanks too to Wayne and welcome Ion and Guy. It’s good to have some continuity as well, with Richard, TSK, Pearl and myself, in our roles from last year.

Speaking of long-time club stalwarts, N.Y. Wong has been a much loved and respected head coach at Croydon for some years. His work as an arbiter has recently grown to the extent that he was no longer able to continue full-time in this role from late last year – I believe that Reg Chong and Jamie Cross stepped in to fill the role (someone correct me if I’m wrong).
    As TSK mentions, Reg Chong is head coach for 2010 and will be assisted by N.Y. Wong and Jamie Cross in particular, so Croydon’s junior coaching remains in good hands.

Should be a good year.

I’ll be starting a thread soon for our first five round weekly tournament of the year, the Waller (named after popular founding member, Tony Waller.) The Waller is due to start 2 to 3 weeks from now so all those who are interested, watch out for that one.
    Last edited by Watto; 29-01-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Play-off Match to decide the 2009 Croydon Chess Club Champion

The two game play-off match between Guy West and Ian Birchall is due to begin this Friday, the 19th March. Ian has White for the first game.

It will start at 11 am and will be held at the office of David Hodgett MP, State member for Kilsyth. The address is 60 Main Street, Croydon.
    The second game will be played at the same time, same venue the following Friday.

If you're in the area, spectators are welcome.

Presentaton Night - 6 pm Thu 9 Oct

Croydon's annual presentation night is on tomorrow evening.

It kicks off at 6 pm with pizza, salads, light snacks, chips, dips etc and drinks all supplied - so no need to eat beforehand!

Medals and trophies for all our 2010 club tournaments will be presented during the evening to the prize winners.

(And, according to our calendar, we'll finish up with a blitz tournament.)

We look forward to seeing all our members, parents and spectators who have participated in and or spectated at our club tournaments this year.
    Last edited by Watto; 09-12-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Thread Information