View Poll Results: Should chess be part of the school curriculum in Australia?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doc, you should be PM.

4 21.05%
  • strongly agree

6 31.58%
  • agree

4 21.05%
  • undecided

2 10.53%
  • strongly disagree

1 5.26%
  • Doc, you are a goose

2 10.53%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Chess In Schools

Hey , I was wondering what is the current situation with chess in schools.

Has chess in any school been incorporated into the curriculum for all students to participate?

It was in a number of ACT schools. Evatt Primary was using it as part of their Maths program. St Monica's, St Thomas, North Ainslie and Holy Spirit all had Geoff Butler spending a day at the school and taking chess classes, where the whole class received chess lessons.

Jeff Suptut had similar arrangements with some schools and I think currently Hawker Primary and Turner Primary are doing some sort of whole of school chess exercise.

A number of schools in the ACT would like to do it, but we are lacking the chess coaches.

Many schools use it as a G&T/extension activity.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I only "agreed" as it was not entirely clear what scale you were thinking of with the question. I think it should be included to the same extent that baseball (for example) is a part of the school curriculum. Not to the same extent that, say, history, economics or music are a part of the school curriculum.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    I voted undecided.

While I would love to see chess as a subject, there is already too much in the school's curricula. FMD, kids are still coming out of the end of the sausage machine iliterate, innumerate or both. However, I think chess could definitely be used as a tool in teaching.

Chess ought best to be an "extra curricula" in the same way as dance, camps, science comps, et cetera are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    I only "agreed" as it was not entirely clear what scale you were thinking of with the question. I think it should be included to the same extent that baseball (for example) is a part of the school curriculum. Not to the same extent that, say, history, economics or music are a part of the school curriculum.
    Why not? I agree with history, because I think it is a critiical subject (together with Maths, Science, English and Geography. Economics is a bit more dubious and definitely not music.

I think music is important, so is art, but why should a fully rounded curriculum not include something like bridge/chess?

I think it is very important in todays times that chess is taught in schools from a very young age. Chess is one of the only sports where you are on your own, responsible completely for your own decisions. You have to learn to budget your time, think clearly and there are very few if no excuses.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    While I would love to see chess as a subject, there is already too much in the school's curricula.
    Chess shouldn't crowd out more traditional subjects if correctly integrated into the curriculum, but complement them.

See "The Case for Chess as a Tool to Develop Our Children's Minds".

http://www.auschess.org.au/articles/chessmind.htm
    Last edited by cincinnatus; 20-08-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I think it should be included to the same extent that baseball (for example) is a part of the school curriculum. Not to the same extent that, say, history, economics or music are a part of the school curriculum.
    I fully agree with this.

At school whenever a Phys Ed teacher rebuked me for a slack or sloppy effort at something, I would challenge him/her to play a game of chess against me in front of the class during Phys Ed lesson time. All shirked the challenge except one (who actually put up a reasonable fight and later went on to do a bit of chess coaching at school as well.)
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    At school whenever a Phys Ed teacher rebuked me for a slack or sloppy effort at something, I would challenge him/her to play a game of chess against me in front of the class during Phys Ed lesson time.
    Good job Just the kind of petulent reaction that makes chess look like todally-uncool geekdom.

Perhaps next time some chess player makes a comment about my slack effort OTB, I should invite them to pull on some boxing gloves.

It is no wonder you got bullied.
    Last edited by PHAT; 19-08-2004 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Why not? I agree with history, because I think it is a critiical subject (together with Maths, Science, English and Geography. Economics is a bit more dubious and definitely not music.

I think music is important, so is art, but why should a fully rounded curriculum not include something like bridge/chess?
    Both music and art are of much greater cultural significance than chess. Chess is a past-time, game and sport and should be integrated into the curriculum as such. It should not be a core subject (like math, english, science) or an elective subject (like history, geography, economics, foreign language, music or art).

Both music and art are of much greater cultural significance than chess. Chess is a past-time, game and sport and should be integrated into the curriculum as such. It should not be a core subject (like math, english, science) or an elective subject (like history, geography, economics, foreign language, music or art).
    Ditto

Chess is a past-time, game and sport and should be integrated into the curriculum as such.
    in australia that is, in other parts of the world chess is the main sport, just as much as physical education and outdoor sports are in australia.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    in australia that is, in other parts of the world chess is the main sport, just as much as physical education and outdoor sports are in australia.
    Sorry. I thought we were talking about the curriculum of Australian schools.

Yes chess is a bigger sport in many countries but that shouldn't make it any higher on the totem pole of subjects at school. In our school, all sports are taught as a part of physical education. We don't teach a bunch of sports as physical education and then have 3 hours a week dedicated to swimming (for example) for the whole year. We might spend 6 weeks on cricket and only 2 on baseball and in that sort of context, chess could be given more time. But I don't think we need to have a subject called chess which students can spend 3 hours a week in for the whole year, each and every year.

Perhaps chess should be added to the roster of winter sports in all schools as a first step.

Perhaps chess should be added to the roster of winter sports in all schools as a first step.
    i would agree with this, especially in primary school. I remember in primary school doing swimming, athletics and all that stuff. In high school, our school gave us many sport options. Of course if chess is to be part of say pe, then it needs a competent teacher, or dare i say coach

Sorry. I thought we were talking about the curriculum of Australian schools.
    we are and the thread title was chess in schools

Thread Information