Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

WTF! Anti-blasphemy Laws??

Here's a story to give you a What The F*** moment. New anti-blasphemy laws went into force in the Irish Republic on Friday, much to the anger of atheists. More here or just go to Google for more.

One of my NY resolutions was to be less angry in 2010. I mean last year I spent plenty of time being all upset: at Indian students, at dumbass ****ers who cut their nails in public, at the NSW ALP, at stupid tourists who walk slowly, at the fkn hopeless Wallabies. And now this! I mean shit!'

What do youse blokes reckon of this?
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-01-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    I reckon you've got a fail in the chesschat swear word workaround! Happy New Year. Have you relocated yet?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    I reckon you've got a fail in the chesschat swear word workaround! Happy New Year. Have you relocated yet?
    "frak" is banned now?
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    "frak" is banned now?
    wash your mouth out with soap! this year i'm going to try to express myself with resorting to poorly disguised base crudities. i've had one opportunity so far and failed. in mitigation, the subject matter was KRudd.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I will have to investigate this issue more thoroughly in coming days, since the article notes the local Green party as having supported the law.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I will have to investigate this issue more thoroughly in coming days, since the article notes the local Green party as having supported the law.
    I suspect (but don't know) that the ideas of the laws are to provide protection against blasphemy of all recognised religions (primarily judeo-christian, muslim and hindu faiths at a guess) whereas prior laws only protected Christianity.

accordin to blasphemy.ie

The new law defines blasphemy as publishing or uttering matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion, with some defences permitted.

It is typical that the right to choose to not have a religion is largely ignored and the new laws might be used to curtail the degree of freedom of speech of those who oppose any or all religions. To underline the silliness of the law the Irish Atheist group published 25 quotes from such radicals as Pope Benedict who has outraged millions of muslim, Jesus, Muhammad and various others.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master Tony Dowden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Here's a story to give you a What The F*** moment. New anti-blasphemy laws went into force in the Irish Republic on Friday, much to the anger of atheists. More here or just go to Google for more.

One of my NY resolutions was to be less angry in 2010. I mean last year I spent plenty of time being all upset: at Indian students, at dumbass ****ers who cut their nails in public, at the NSW ALP, at stupid tourists who walk slowly, at the fkn hopeless Wallabies. And now this! I mean shit!'

I'd say Richard Dawkins is in up to his neck already See end of first article - I'm amused Dawkins can get so worked up over an allegedly fictional character!

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    "frak" is banned now?
    And we can only eat with spoons and knives ...

Incitement to violence ought to be banned (and presumably already is in most countries). But my mum always taught me that "sticks-n-stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me". These kinds of bans are futile. It won't change the way people think, and it won't improve interpersonal relations.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Snail King
    Incitement to violence ought to be banned (and presumably already is in most countries). But my mum always taught me that "sticks-n-stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me". These kinds of bans are futile. It won't change the way people think, and it won't improve interpersonal relations.
    So you would be happy to use mere words of blasphemy in a fundamentalist Islamic context?

One cannot help but offend in some circumstances. One man's truth is another's blasphemy. Should one go out of one's way just to offend? No; that would not be nice behaviour. But it ought not to be illegal under the law, even though it is morally reprehensible.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    I'd say Richard Dawkins is in up to his neck already See end of first article - I'm amused Dawkins can get so worked up over an allegedly fictional character!
    I don't think Dawkins is worked up by god but just that so many otherwise sensible people find the stories in the Bible credible.

My favourite quotes are those of Bjork closely followed by Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snail King
    One cannot help but offend in some circumstances. One man's truth is another's blasphemy. Should one go out of one's way just to offend? No; that would not be nice behaviour. But it ought not to be illegal under the law, even though it is morally reprehensible.
    So would you call Martin Luther "morally reprehensible"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    So would you call Martin Luther "morally reprehensible"?
    If he (or anyone else) made a special effort to offend, rather than it being an unfortunate but necessary by-product of expressing one's personal beliefs, then yes, in my view, he would have acted in a morally reprehensible way.

Thread Information