CC Candidate Master michael.mcguirk's Avatar

How do YOU get accommodation when you go to a chess tournament?

Being that tender annoyingly age of 21, and only having a bar job to support me while university steals my time, I often find the added costs of accommodation a large portion of whether I attend an event or not. Money is always an issue with everyone though, so I'm sure a lot of people have similar problems.

How do you approach the accommodation problem? Cheap hotels? Hostels? Try to find friends to bunk down with? Pass out drunk on the street corner? Turn yourself into the police for some minor crime so that they keep you in a holding cell for the night?

Personally, I'm thinking of getting some foam bedding and cutting it to the size of my backseat/boot space (back seats fold down creating a fair bit of space) and making a bed in the back. Damn seats themselves aren't comfy enough to sleep respectably in for more than a night...
    Destroying Robinson's Grob, one Compaq computer at a time.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Some of the older cheap pubs down here (Tas) have gone over to "semi-backpacker" style accommodation. For $30 or $40 a night you get your own room but do your own meals (there's a kitchen there or you can just eat out.) I find this ideal. You avoid paying extra for the dreaded "continental breakfast" (which is usually complete rubbish and nowhere near filling enough anyway) but you don't have to go to the unpredictable lengths of sharing a dorm room with strangers as in a hostel.

CC International Master
    Buy a van, a swag and park next to a public toilet=accommodation wherever you go.

Jokes ,kind of, aside usually my brother and I just have friends in wherever we are playing. Although I haven't really played all too many interstate tournaments.
    Last edited by Saragossa; 24-12-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Check web sites

Always check out the tournament web site for suggestions. Sometimes, as in the case of the Aus Champs, there are recommendations (use of a sponsor) and further suggestions for lower budget options.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master michael.mcguirk's Avatar
    I'm still trying to search for something that would cost me less than the petrol it'd take for me to drive down and back each day...

So far, not successful.

On the other hand, what is 33 hours worth of driving worth in dollars to me
    Destroying Robinson's Grob, one Compaq computer at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.mcguirk
    On the other hand, what is 33 hours worth of driving worth in dollars to me
    Probably a slightly better question is, what is it worth to be able to get up later and not have to worry each day about whether there is an accident on the roads or delays in public transport?

On the general question, as usual it is a matter of preparation, preparation. The earlier you start looking at general internet accommodation sites, the better. Then it is a matter to keep looking as different places will offer special deals, but they are only available for limited times.

Thread Information