Physics had its Newton, biology its Darwin: evolutionary biology now awaits its Einstein.

Australia does have Assoc Prof Alan Olding (ex Englishman) ex Macquarie Uni who used to do a course on evolutionary biology (whatever was called 15 years ago). He wrote an excellent book "Modern biology and natural theology". He did a talk kocking Pro Paul Davis and packed the place out.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Physics had its Newton, biology its Darwin: evolutionary biology now awaits its Einstein.

Australia does have Assoc Prof Alan Olding (ex Englishman) ex Macquarie Uni who used to do a course on evolutionary biology (whatever was called 15 years ago). He wrote an excellent book "Modern biology and natural theology". He did a talk kocking Pro Paul Davis and packed the place out.
    Sadly "had" not "has". Although he was a philosopher rather than a biologist so I'm not sure about your claim that he taught evolutionary biology.

Anyway the "Einstein" Conway Morris portends will be almost undoubtedly be a biologist by training but will probably also be someone with an appreciation for the philosophical questions on the implication of evolutionary theory. Perhaps not in the direction that Olding concerned himself in his book, but rather, how much "wiggle room" does evolution have really? The question posed in the article is how do we explain evolutionary convergence?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Sadly "had" not "has". Although he was a philosopher rather than a biologist so I'm not sure about your claim that he taught evolutionary biology.

Anyway the "Einstein" Conway Morris portends will be almost undoubtedly be a biologist by training but will probably also be someone with an appreciation for the philosophical questions on the implication of evolutionary theory. Perhaps not in the direction that Olding concerned himself in his book, but rather, how much "wiggle room" does evolution have really? The question posed in the article is how do we explain evolutionary convergence?
    That is shocking news, I loved him, and attended his lectures. We got on well and he gave talks for me. I listened to his taped lecture over and over (when copying for him) and got so much more out it every time. I will now try and find original video tape and treasure it. Science was his second love after philosophy. Of course he taught it coz I attended it in about 1995, I will modify that to what it was originally called. Maybe there is a difference in content.
    Last edited by antichrist; 15-12-2009 at 11:00 AM.

That is shocking news, I loved him, and attended his lectures. We got on well and he gave talks for me. I listened to his taped lecture over and over (when copying for him) and got so much more out it every time. I will now try and find original video tape and treasure it. Science was his second love after philosophy. Of course he taught it coz I attended it in about 1995.
    He died in 2001, aged 64. You can see the obituary in the Macquarie staff newsletter here...

http://www.mq.edu.au/staffnews/archi...stafnews15.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    He died in 2001, aged 64. You can see the obituary in the Macquarie staff newsletter here...

http://www.mq.edu.au/staffnews/archi...stafnews15.htm
    that was him exactly, that has made me sad thinkin of him (now I understand JAK being upset about his mate dying). He was a bloody heavy smoker that was why (am only guessing). He told me it would kill him one day. His response to me was that everyone has one fault and that smoking was his. I later observed that this may be correct. Mine is stirring and like joking and excitement.

Every point they said about him is correct. He gave talks for us, he was wonderful, and did not even ask for motel fees like for other groups maybe, as he had already retired up to Blue Mountains. I will have to delete his phone no out of my book. No I won't will keep in remembrance.

But see he did lecture on philosophy of biology - it states there.

But see he did lecture on philosophy of biology - it states there.
    To be fair, that was not your original claim. You said he lectured on "evolutionary biology" which is quite a different subject. Now the philosophy of biology is a subject that I would be surprised had he NOT lectured on.

Jono, if you read this, get this man's brilliant book and learn something, it is an insult all the creationish rubbish that people come up with.

I am going to make a point of attending his grave when next in Sydney. He was worth more than tiger Woods.

Thread Information