Headphones during play

During a recent tournament a player has said to me that the wearing of headphones is now not allowed during play.

Does anyone know anything about whether this is a new regulation from Fide?

I have only been aware that it is up to the arbiter to decide in regards to the wearing of headphones.

Usually it comes down to whether or not the opponent is distracted or if anyone can hear noise being made by the phones.

I am not after peoples opinions on this subject (apologies if that sounds rude to put it like that), rather I am after whether there are hard and fast regulations stating one way or another if the wearing of headphones during play is now against any kind of law of chess.

From reading just the laws of chess, not other sections of the fide handbook, I am certain it does not appear in the 2009 fide laws of chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    During a recent tournament a player has said to me that the wearing of headphones is now not allowed during play.

Does anyone know anything about whether this is a new regulation from Fide?

I have only been aware that it is up to the arbiter to decide in regards to the wearing of headphones.

Usually it comes down to whether or not the opponent is distracted or if anyone can hear noise being made by the phones.

I am not after peoples opinions on this subject (apologies if that sounds rude to put it like that), rather I am after whether there are hard and fast regulations stating one way or another if the wearing of headphones during play is now against any kind of law of chess.

From reading just the laws of chess, not other sections of the fide handbook, I am certain it does not appear in the 2009 fide laws of chess.
    I know of nothing specifically referring to headphones but, arguably, they are an "electronic means of communication" (Art. 12.3.b) or, depending on the facts, constitute a distraction or annoyance within Art 12.6. Often the sound produced by headphones is audible nearby.

[I also have an unlikely argument that listening to Mozart's music while playing chess is a forbidden source of information under Art 12.3.a on the ground that listening to Mozart's music increases one's IQ by 10% ]

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Account Suspended
    During the Australian Major in brisbane, my opponent wore headphones, but no one could hear them. I appealed to the arbiter, who told the player that he would be disqualified if caught again.

It would be under the electronic equipment laws to stop cheating. The player could have opening theory going through the phones or wireless connection to a thire.d person using an engine.
    Last edited by CameronD; 13-12-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    NSWCA may have issued a specific ruling on this for NSWCA events (no headphones). Bill may remember the details but I believe it was after complaints about one particular player.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    If the headphones are audible, even softly, to other players, then they are a "source of noise" and the player transgresses by bringing them into the playing area.

If they are inaudible to other players then there is no specific rule but it is obviously reasonable to ban them to exclude the possibility of cheating.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    If the headphones are audible, even softly, to other players, then they are a "source of noise" and the player transgresses by bringing them into the playing area.

If they are inaudible to other players then there is no specific rule but it is obviously reasonable to ban them to exclude the possibility of cheating.
    As I mentioned above, headphones must also surely be an "electronic means of communication" as they electronically relay what is produced by the source (CD, tape, radio etc) from the source via an amplifier to the hearer.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    As I mentioned above, headphones must also surely be an "electronic means of communication" as they electronically relay what is produced by the source (CD, tape, radio etc) from the source via an amplifier to the hearer.

DJ
    Are digital watches electronic means of communicating the time?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Not in my opinion. But Dick Tracey's wrist radio was.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    I think in time even these will be banned. Not too hard to imagine a watch being able to relay information from a third party outside the hall based on the seconds ticking over or something like that (i.e. skips the '1' if queen move is best, skips the '2' if a rook move is best, skips a '3' if there's a good looking shiela get out here for a look etc) ...

I was thinking of asking whether I can wear a heart rate monitor at the Aust Reserves just out of interest to see how the heart rate changes when I get a good position against a strong player (assuming of course I manage to get a good position in this tournament) but thought it would probably raise too much suspicion. The heart rate monitor looks like a wrist watch.

cheers
    Garrett.

If you want an electronic appliance that has large potential for cheating in chess, have a look at google goggles.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC International Master William AS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    During the Australian Major in brisbane, my opponent wore headphones, but no one could hear them. I appealed to the arbiter, who told the player that he would be disqualified if caught again.

It would be under the electronic equipment laws to stop cheating. The player could have opening theory going through the phones or wireless connection to a third person using an engine.
    In South Australia we definately do not allow headphones as they can easily be used for cheating. Digital watches are ok, but arbiters need to be aware that Mobile phones/MP3 player/Watch/PDA,s are now available which are small enough to wear on the wrist and could clearly be used to cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I was thinking of asking whether I can wear a heart rate monitor at the Aust Reserves just out of interest to see how the heart rate changes when I get a good position against a strong player (assuming of course I manage to get a good position in this tournament) but thought it would probably raise too much suspicion. The heart rate monitor looks like a wrist watch.
    Could also be used to test how far chess players do walk during a 5 hour game. For some players, it would be quite a lot.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    There's probably something somewhere on the bb (or old bb?) on this. IIRC a person who used to wear earphones was a person once thought to be.... chesslover but has never been confirmed but has been denied. The mystery continues all these years later! Ahem! Back on topic.

IIRC it was banned as one could possibly have taken notes and be playing it back to them using the headphones......
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Thread Information