Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bozo Dunking Corner

Right. That's it. Ratings wingers. Belly-achers. Dribblers. Confusled road-to-nowhere men tormentors - this is your hole to talk about what the rating system should have you rated as.

Amir has just pronounced "that he came second at the Tin Cup and his ratings held or went down 20 points". He feels this is wrong.

Right here, is where he lists his opponents, their ratings, his rating at the beginning of the tournament, any other rated games in the period and states what his rating shoul;d be.

Should be a fantastic laugh.

Reason for the thread. I've only been on this board three years and I'm sick to faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa ...
    Last edited by Basil; 08-12-2009 at 09:09 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa ...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa ...

There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaarking

death of would-be rating experts when the system has been detailed sufficiently, the counter-arguments have been addressed sufficiently or that other systems with merit have been acknowledged but passed over as equal.

Apart from thinking you (or England or the Peoples Republic of Blat) have a better system, what are you complaining about - 8 ratings points over your entire life? Are you underrated in Australia by 100 points? Come on!
    Last edited by Basil; 08-12-2009 at 09:16 AM.

CC International Master
    I lost 38 points in the last period... I moved from #11 to #18 in the rating list... It is so unfair...

We should ban all the weekenders... We should ban all Queenslanders from playing in the weekenders... Especially the younger ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    I lost 38 points in the last period... I moved from #11 to #18 in the rating list... It is so unfair...

We should ban all the weekenders... We should ban all Queenslanders from playing in the weekenders... Especially the younger ones...
    Last time my rating went up (good) and my ranking went up too (not good).
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    ... Especially the younger ones...
    Now, that is the basis of a workable plan!

I haven't lost or gained any points for several years. I haven't played any games either. I still have a respectable looking rating for a bunny and the ?? adds an exotic touch.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Right. That's it. Ratings wingers. Belly-achers. Dribblers. Confusled road-to-nowhere men tormentors - this is your hole to talk about what the rating system should have you rated as.

Amir has just pronounced "that he came second at the Tin Cup and his ratings held or went down 20 points". He feels this is wrong.

Right here, is where he lists his opponents, their ratings, his rating at the beginning of the tournament, any other rated games in the period and states what his rating shoul;d be.
    I will save him the trouble.

Firstly he claims he lost those "20 points" in the 2008 Tin Cup.
    He didnt play in the 2008 Tin Cup.
    He did however play in the 2009 Tin Cup where he came equal second.

Code:
    	15/02/2009 Gold Coast Tin Cup 2009

1 Jim Rogers                            QLD  787   1.0
     2 Daniel Torise                         QLD 1161   0.0 
     3 Alex Buciu                            QLD  914   1.0 
     4 David S Soul                          NSW 1044   1.0  
     5 Martin Jack                           QLD 1314   1.0 
     6 Matthew Gilpin                        QLD 1484   1.0
    His pre tournament December 2008 rating was 1564.
    His performance rating in the event is 1493.

The 2009 Tin Cup was his only event in the March 2009 rating period.

His March 2009 rating was 1555.
    That is a drop of 9 points not 20.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

My complaint is that the people who beat me aren't rated high enough, the ones I beat aren't rated high enough. Therefore everyone must be severely under rated.
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

Look guys, you're ALL missing the point. Clearly the problem is that although I haven't played any games in the latest ratings period (meaning that my rating shouldn't have gotten any worse), it in fact stayed the same when it should have gone up ... because I WANT to have a higher rating and Glicko 2 clearly isn't doing that job properly.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Snail King
    Look guys, you're ALL missing the point. Clearly the problem is that although I haven't played any games in the latest ratings period (meaning that my rating shouldn't have gotten any worse), it in fact stayed the same when it should have gone up ... because I WANT to have a higher rating and Glicko 2 clearly isn't doing that job properly.
    Well while kibitzing on the net, I* see lots of things that super GMs miss, so I must be at least high 2700s.

*with some minimal assistance from fritz
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    My complaint is that the people who beat me aren't rated high enough, the ones I beat aren't rated high enough. Therefore everyone must be severely under rated.
    AGREED!!!

especially all the VERY underrated juniors here in ACT who keep beating me! :O
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC Candidate Master michael.mcguirk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    AGREED!!!

especially all the VERY underrated juniors who keep beating me! :O
    Fixed.
    Destroying Robinson's Grob, one Compaq computer at a time.

CC FIDE Master

Harden up.

I'm with Gunner on this one.

If you loose rating points, it because you played badly, or your opponent played better. If you think your opponent is underrated, then their victory actually helps address that.

For me I'm sick of the dialouge that argues that every kid is underrated. It's rubbish. I take my ratings (ACF and Rapid) very seriously. (Too seriously) In saying that I will play the same kids on Saturday at Street Chess knowing that most of them are already better players than me and that I have very little chance of winning rating points (unless I play very consistently, which I don't).

The last 3 times I've played Ethan Derwent, I've been busted but I've hung on, only because he is still young and time scrambles are hard when you aren't used to them. Before our game at ANUCC last night, I said, "You'll beat me sooner than later, becuase I'm a rabbit". Ian Rogers never complained about the rating system, he kept gaining points because he was consistent against his field of players. If I am consistent against players I am suppose to beat, then I will stay the same or will go up too...

I lost almost 100 rapid rating points last list. This was my fault, not Bill's as rating officer.
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

Agree totally. My post was in jest, there are probably a half dozen reasons I don't play better and have a higher rating, but they all begin with I do or don't whatever.
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

Thread Information