Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ACF code of ethics

I see there is a version of the ACF code of ethics (last amended 23 July 2007) on the ACF site (under http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/index.html). I wanted to reference this [under general tournamane tules, something like: "The tournament organiser, arbiter and players shall abide by the ACF code of ethics (last amended 23 July 2007)"], even print it out in A3 and stick to a wall for a tournament, for all to see.

So 2 questions:
    1) Does anyone have a clean version, without the bolding?

2) Does anyone have any comment that it is a good idea or not to reference this set of ethics?
    Scott.. enjoying Melbourne and Wyndham Chess Club and Hobsons Bay Chess club!

Account Suspended
    The CAQ has a code of ethics (not sure of CV)

Why not make a club code of ethics

Quote Originally Posted by SHump
    I see there is a version of the ACF code of ethics (last amended 23 July 2007) on the ACF site (under http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/index.html). I wanted to reference this [under general tournamane tules, something like: "The tournament organiser, arbiter and players shall abide by the ACF code of ethics (last amended 23 July 2007)"], even print it out in A3 and stick to a wall for a tournament, for all to see.

So 2 questions:

2) Does anyone have any comment that it is a good idea or not to reference this set of ethics?

CC Grandmaster
    Cameron, Does every single club has time and resources to write a code of ethics of their own?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Cameron, Does every single club has time and resources to write a code of ethics of their own?
    They could just copy their states with any small modifications

Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    They could just copy their states with any small modifications
    What would be the point, when they could just adopt the state code.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

So 2 questions:

I drafted the Code for the ACF a few years ago. The bolded passages are later amendments as far as I can recall. They really shouldn't be in bold except for the headings and the website version is not mine. Unfortunately, I recently had a hard disc crash with my computer coupled with a crashed back-up drive so I don't have the data at present.

The code is based on the FIDE Code of Ethics with some provisions for local matters. The ACF adopted the Code for ACF events and recommended that State Associations adopt it. Constitutionally, the ACF doesn't have power to make it binding except in ACF events but there is no reason why a club could not use it, or an adaptation, if it wished. I think the ACF would be happy to see that done.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thanks DJ. I can retype it, it is only a few pages. Perhaps call it the Scott code of ethics and refresh it for a more modern look...

I guess also check the cross references in it to the current FIDE rules, but unless anyone has any objections, just refer to it as the ACF COE, and make it (the pdf - to maintain consistency!) available royalty free to all that want it.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Thanks DJ. I can retype it, it is only a few pages.
    Unnecessary. Highlight all text, left-click "copy" and away you go - without bolding.

Pasting on the forum creates issues with line breaks; to get a copy without the line-breaks (unlike that below), just Paste Special into Word as Unformatted Unicode Text.

A copy without line breaks (or any other formatting) is attached in Word.

ACF CODE OF ETHICS
    [last amended 23 July 2007]
    1. Introduction
    1.1 The proper conduct of the game of chess and of chess events depends on
    everyone involved observing
    1.1.1 the rules and conditions currently applying to the game and event; and
    1.1.2 the highest standards of fair play and good sportsmanship.
    1.2 Disputes arising during a game or event are to be resolved according to the
    FIDE Laws of Chess and any other rules or conditions then applicable to the game
    or event.
    1.3 This Code applies to -
    1.3.1 a person playing in, or organising
    1.3.1.1 an event of which the winner is eligible for an Australian title as
    defined in the ACF By-laws for ACF Tournaments; or
    1.3.1.2 a Grand prix event; or
    1.3.1.3 any other game or event conducted by or for the ACF; and
    1.3.2 a person having an ACF Rating who plays in an event outside Australia or
    on the internet, whether as an official representative of Australia or not.
    1.4 It is strongly recommended that affiliated associations and bodies and their
    affiliates adopt the Code for their purposes.
    1.5 This Code is to be read subject to the FIDE Laws of Chess 2001.
    2. The Purpose of the Code of Ethics
    2.1 The purpose of this Code is to ensure, as far as practicable, that the game
    of chess is played in Australia, and by Australian players overseas or on the
    internet, in a sporting and fair manner.
    2.2 1 Articles 12 and 13 of the FIDE Laws of Chess 2001 respectively deal with
    the conduct of players and the role of the arbiter. Those provisions are the
    primary authority on the matters with which they deal. The Preface to the FIDE
    Laws recognises that "the Laws cannot cover all possible situations that may
    arise during a game nor can they regulate all administrative questions".
    2.2.2 Likewise, it is impossible in this Code to define exactly each
    circumstance or standard of conduct expected of players, officials and
    spectators involved in a game or event or to list everything that would amount
    to a breach of this Code and lead to disciplinary action. Persons otherwise
    uncertain of the conduct expected of them should contact the arbiter or
    organisers of the event.
    2.3 The following provisions of this Code, while not exhaustive, identify
    conduct that is of such a character as to attract censure and the manner in
    which it may be dealt with.
    3. Breaches of the Code of Ethics
    3.1 This Code is breached by a person who commits any of the following acts.
    3.2 Subject to Article 12.7 of the FIDE Laws of Chess 2001, repeatedly or
    grossly violating the FIDE Laws of Chess or the rules or conditions applicable
    to a particular event.
    3.3 Cheating, or attempting to cheat, during a game or event.
    3.4 Pre-arranging, or attempting to pre-arrange, the result of a game or event.
    3.5 Withdrawing from an event without valid reason.
    3.6 Failing to comply with normally accepted standards of courtesy and chess
    etiquette.
    3.7 Engaging in misbehaviour of a personal nature that is generally unacceptable
    by normal social standards.
    3.8 Engaging in violent, threatening or other unseemly behaviour during, or in
    connexion with, a game or event.
    3.9 Making unjustified accusations towards other players, officials or sponsors
    of an event.
    3.10 Participating in an event under a false name or while under suspension.
    3.11 Persistently refusing or neglecting to play against a specific person
    against whom he is paired.
    3.12 Engaging in conduct likely to injure the reputation of the ACF, its events,
    organisers, participants or sponsors.
    3.13 Being an organiser, tournament director, arbiter or other official of an
    event
    3.13.1 failing to perform his or her functions in relation to that event in an
    impartial and responsible manner; or
    3.13.2 failing to take necessary steps to ensure the proper conduct of the
    event, or games in the event, according to the FIDE Laws of Chess and the
    tournament rules or conditions.
    3.14 While representing Australia in a team or delegation, either as a player or as an
    official, behaving in any manner likely to disrupt the performance or preparation of
    fellow team or delegation members.
    4. Complaints and Penalties
    4.1 All complaints concerning the behaviour of players during an event must be
    made to an arbiter of the event who may impose an appropriate penalty.
    4.2 Any player who, either in the capacity of player or spectator, engages in
    behaviour in contravention of paragraphs 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 or 3.8 may be forfeited
    one or more games depending on the severity of the offence.
    4.3 Other complaints or reports of an alleged breach of this Code may be made to
    the ACF Council which shall consider and decide the matter.
    4.4 Any player or spectator acting in contravention of this Code can be excluded
    from games or events to which it applies for an appropriate period.
    4.5 Any arbiter or other official acting in contravention of this Code can be
    excluded from performing the functions of arbiter or official in, or in relation
    to, any event to which this Code applies for an appropriate period.
    4.6 A complaint against a player or official under paragraph 3.14 will only be
    considered if made by another player who alleges he/she was adversely affected, or if
    adverse mention of a player's behavior is made in a report to the ACF by that player's
    team captain or equivalent delegation official.
    4.7 A player who is found to have contravened paragraph 3.14 can be excluded from
    representing Australia in some or all events for an appropriate period.
    4.8 A penalty under paragraph 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 or 4.7 shall be imposed only by the ACF
    Council after proper inquiry in accordance with the principles of procedural fairness
    in which anyone alleged to have breached the Code is told of the allegation against
    them and is given the opportunity to present their case in reply to the allegation.
    5. Appeals
    5.1 A person penalised under by-law 4.1 or 4.2 has such right of appeal (if any)
    as is conferred by the rules or conditions governing the conduct of the event.
    5.2 A person penalised under by-law 4.3, 4.4 or 4.5 may appeal the decision
    within 7 days of being notified of it.
    5.3 Appeals, stating the grounds thereof, shall be accompanied by a $50 appeal
    fee which shall be refunded if the appeal is upheld.
    5.4 Appeals shall be on the basis that there was a material error or omission in
    the making of the decision that has disadvantaged the applicant.
    5.5 The ACF shall appoint a person known as the ACF Appeals Tribunal Convenor
    (ATC) who shall be either an ACF Honorary Life Member or a former ACF President.
    5.6 The ATC shall appoint two other persons, each being either an ACF Honorary
    Life Member or former ACF President or Deputy President to form a three person
    tribunal (the Appeals Tribunal) with the ATC.
    5.7 The Appeals Tribunal shall seek and consider such information as it
    considers appropriate and its decision shall be final.
    5.8 The Appeals Tribunal may decide that the decision appealed from -
    5.8.1 stands; or
    5.8.2 is revoked; or
    5.8.3 is varied as decided by the Appeals Tribunal.
    6. Guidelines for the Application of this Code
    6.1 A person is assumed to be aware of the FIDE Laws of Chess, any other rules
    or conditions applicable to an event in which he is a player, spectator or
    official and of the provisions of this Code.
    6.2 The following observations are made as guidelines to assist in the
    interpretation of the Laws of Chess and of this Code.
    6.3 Art.6.13b of the FIDE Laws of Chess 2001 permits a player to stop the clock
    in order to seek the arbiter's assistance. An example is given of the case in
    which a player promotes a pawn but the required piece is not available. Another
    obvious instance is where a player seeks a ruling from the arbiter on a matter
    arising under the Laws in the course of play.
    6.4 Art.12.5 of the FIDE Laws of Chess 2001 forbids the distraction or annoying
    of the opponent in any manner whatsoever. One example is given, namely,
    unreasonable claims or offers of a draw. Other conduct that may be regarded as
    within the prohibition includes excessive adjustment of pieces under Art4.2,
    persistent sloppy placement of pieces, talking within the hearing of the
    opponent, unreasonable physical action such as staring intently at the opponent
    or using exaggerated facial expressions or gestures. It is irrelevant that the
    conduct in question was not intended to distract or annoy. If the conduct is
    involuntary, such an an attack of hiccups or a fit the matter should be handled
    by the arbiter with particular discretion and diplomacy.
    6.5 It is not permissible for players or spectators to talk either to themselves
    or each other within the hearing of players who are seated at the board as such
    conduct is likely to disturb those players. The conduct of conversations in a
    language other than English should be avoided in any event as it may more
    readily be thought to be a discussion about a game in progress such conduct
    being forbidden by Art. 13.7.
    6.6 It should be noted that, while Art.9.1a prescribes the correct way to offer
    a draw, any other draw offer is also valid. However an offer made otherwise than
    in accordance with Art. 9.1a may amount to distraction or annoyance of the
    opponent and so infringe Art. 12.5.
    6.7 Normally accepted standards of courtesy and chess etiquette referred to in
    para. 3.6, above, include treating the opponent with respect and resigning, or
    receiving the opponent's resignation, with good grace.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 08-12-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thanks KB - of course! I could also use adobe tools as well to copy the pdf into something else, but hey, job done!

I am attaching a pdf version that looks a bit 'nicer', just FYI anyone. I fixed the numbering around 2.2 (there was no 2.2) and I checked that the numbers in that section were not being referenced anywhere else in the doc.

As far as other states etc having their own CoE, I can see there is scope for this. For an event that does not fit under the list given in 1.3 (this code applies to...), then an event organiser COULD just say that the ACF CoE applies for this event, but then those pedants amongst us may then read 1.3 and say, hey "our event is not listed here"!

So perhaps to save each of us having a separate CoE, if the ACF CoE in section 1.3 included "and other events that reference this Code" (almost in place of 1.4, as 1.4 is really a recommendation not a useful use of the code as such). A downside of this is that it then opens up the CoE to perhaps things that the ACF had not intended, for instance do we really want or need the ACF council/ATC involved in a dispute at a local club championship? So in typing this out, I realise that it becomes a matter of SCOPE, so that makes say a state body's version more 'local' and relevant. So having come full circle, I could see that the ACF would NOT want this particular CoE to apply to all Australian chess events, with good reasons. And thank you to those that have gotten this far with my thought processes.

For me organising a Grand Prix event, I have no such worries, as the GP is mentioned in 1.3.1.2 (yay!) - sorry, just that selfish streak coming through.
    Last edited by SHump; 19-08-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Actually all the ACF constitutional documents should be available in proper formatted text on the site and in PDF downloads for convenience but this hasn't happened yet. It's a jolly nuisance to go to the site to check a provision and be confronted by a PDF. At present we have the worst of all worlds with some docs as plain text (not formatted) and others in PDF. I raised this aeons ago but it's still the same and now we have technical problems as well.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Are these codes worth the paper they are written on. We all know about the NSWCA Code fo Ethics. It may be in their constitution and on their website but according to Bill it is only for decoration and is meaningless. Remember the St George Comp controversy.

Like the rights of individuals under commo China.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Are these codes worth the paper they are written on. We all know about the NSWCA Code fo Ethics. It may be in their constitution and on their website but according to Bill it is only for decoration and is meaningless.
    You are delusional.
    Please quote where I supposedly said that.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    You are delusional.
    Please quote where I supposedly said that.
    You certainly implied that, probably in ST George thread. I am sure you can find it.

I expect Peter Parr will have a different view.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    You certainly implied that, probably in ST George thread. I am sure you can find it.
    Your claim is false, I never implied it.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

ACF CoE, 2009 FIDE laws style

I have done some tinkering with the CoE, based on the FIDE 2009 laws (the old CoE referred to the 2001 laws). See attached for edits, mostly picked up by the word compare function. I defined Article to mean an article from the Laws, and 'Code item' to mean a numbered para within the CoE (for consistency). And I renumbered, for the relevant current FIDE laws, the article references. Comments most welcome..
    Last edited by SHump; 02-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Thread Information