Thread: Rince Mince

Rince Mince

I thought I'd get this down 'on paper' for posterity. The issue is one of a double standard that I felt noteworthy, as opposed to the common garden double standard that is, from time to time prevalent on all BBs.

Yesterday, Rincewind made a big deal of flame war.
    He made a big deal about being trolled.
    He made a big deal about 'the other guy starting it'.
    He made a big deal about 'against his better judgement'.

Anyone who would like to familiarise themselves may do so here.

Towards the end of the thread, Rincewind writes:

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Chronologically:
    The facts are plan and cannot be denied (althought that hasn't stopped you in the past).- I made a on topic post in the what did you do today thread.
    - You replied with some very silly and off-topic trolling (post #1 this thread)
    - Against my better judgement I replied and each time you contined to fan the flamewar by continuing to reply.
    and the moderator splits and locks the thread (thankfully) with a notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    In this one the blame was entirely (100%) yours - your post that is now #1 of this thread was just a gratuitous off-topic trolling stir/slur carrying on baggage from a previous thread.
    This little episode shines a very big light on the words, sanctimonious and double standards, when one considers post #4 of this thread.

The background is that I had been absent from the board for a more than usual period for myriad personal and commercial reasons, not least of which was that coincidentally I was party to an e-petition and subsequent actions lodged with Queensland government regarding my son's special school and its subsequent closure - presented to Parliament, three days beforehand, December 9th IIRC, (a petition which, incidentally, required no substantiation of identification!).

Just before my departure, I had started a thread, the purpose of which was to collect online signatures for a cause. I claimed Rincewind had trashed the thread ab initio, by drowning it in the broader issue of the validity of online petitions refused to split the thread into
    1. The issue of collecting e-signatures as started by me, and
    2. Whether online petitions are valid/ have merit

Rincewind defended his actions (and claimed victory a number of times).

and so it went on.

With that e-petition subject up in the air, and during my board absence, I had just happened upon the board that day to see Rincewind, flagrantly dragging this personal -to-me issue into a genuine and entirely unrelated thread.

The point? Almost 12 months to the day of Rincewind's original, unmolested, cross-thread trolling, the shoe of being flamed being on the other foot, the result is altogether different and justice is soooo not seeing to be done.

This is one of two reasons that I have claimed for some time now that Rincewind is the most disingenuous poster on the board.
    Last edited by Basil; 07-12-2009 at 03:54 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Speaking of trolls; if any from another board see this thread (I understand they are avid readers of this board) there is no comfort for them here. The standard of moderation here, from Rincewind and others, leaves the standard of moderation there (from overwhelming evidence) looking all but the worst one might find anywhere on the internet.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    In my defense let me say there is a difference between a lighthearted comment and deliberate trolling and my comment was a direct reference back to the substance previous thread which I was more than happy to continue discussing.

If you look at post #4 and the subsequent post #6 I don't believe there are any personal attacks or any ill-will of any kind. Indeed I quite like you Gunner and I was happy to see you had the intention to continue the discussion on the email petition issue as spam is a topic I'm genuinely interested in. You will also notice I did not claim that I was responding to your trolling or that I had no time for you. (Although I have claimed that before on a different issue).

In this case, jak did nothing but make a lame and personal attempted put down (there was no reference to journalistic ethics and for good reason because he never seriously engaged in that issue either). He then went on to claim that he had no time and was only responding to my trolling. However both claims are patently false. As Kevin said, this is a very different thing.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

From gunnar up above

Rincewind defended his actions (and claimed victory a number of times).

and so it went on.

A/C what RW did this. I can remember him years ago chiding me for doing exactly the same thing and I was recommending it to Shirty maybe. Saying something like "...he has his reputation to think of". He is obviously copying my great tactics - he is learning but has taken him years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Speaking of trolls; if any from another board see this thread (I understand they are avid readers of this board) there is no comfort for them here. The standard of moderation here, from Rincewind and others, leaves the standard of moderation there (from overwhelming evidence) looking all but the worst one might find anywhere on the internet.
    Do you think it would improve much if I joined them?

from RW up above

In this case, jak did nothing but make a lame and personal attempted put down (there was no reference to journalistic ethics and for good reason because he never seriously engaged in that issue either). He then went on to claim that he had no time and was only responding to my trolling. However both claims are patently false. As Kevin said, this is a very different thing.

A/C
    All he did was imply that the kangas were a class above the folk there, gee you are sensitive. JAK and I are mates from way back.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    A/C
    JAK and I are mates from way back.
    I can believe that you have similar posting habits.

Still nearly everyone I ask says you don't know JAK.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Jesus! I wondered what this bloody thread was about. I was about to share some recipe for asparagus, mince meat and Shaoxing wine. Then you add some Sechuan stir fry vegies and you're set. Delicious that.

AR

Aw Nice,

Meh here all thinking that a minch meat pie might be the ticket during the holidays.

Seams like this is a start in the search for the reason why Knights left the boards for sprouty.

WHY- WHYYYY !!!!!!!1

-Sprout85 =)
    Just trying to stay Positive in this New Bizarro World -Sprout85

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesprout85
    Seams like this is a start in the search for the reason why Knights left the boards for sprouty.
    It's actually the end of the line (and I have deleted a few of his posts from this thread). If you want to see the full background also read this thread: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11142 and before it this one: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11111.

But I'm not assuming the recent clashes between justaknight and Rincewind were necessarily the underlying cause of jak taking a break - they may have been more the catalyst for it.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

I can believe that you have similar posting habits.

You must read between the lines dear Sherlock - JAK is not speaking to me coza his mata dieda and I maka a joka abouta ita - so I meana "mates' like
    Richo's NSW ALP "mates"

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Jesus! I wondered what this bloody thread was about. I was about to share some recipe for asparagus, mince meat and Shaoxing wine. Then you add some Sechuan stir fry vegies and you're set. Delicious that.

AR
    I reakon it would be better than ausoina(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    It's actually the end of the line (and I have deleted a few of his posts from this thread). If you want to see the full background also read this thread: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11142 and before it this one: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11111.

But I'm not assuming the recent clashes between justaknight and Rincewind were necessarily the underlying cause of jak taking a break - they may have been more the catalyst for it.
    Is RW catching my disease - putting people off - that is second time in this thread he is learning from me

Thread Information