Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

112th National Chess Congress (NZ)

NZ CHAMPIONSHIP AND NZ MAJOR OPEN - CLASS ONE, 2-10 JANUARY, 2005, Wanganui CC. Two 11 round swisses. Time control FIDE Game in 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move from move one. The Championship is restricted to players rated over 2000 or FIDE 2100, and will be FIDE rated. Entry fees: Championship - GM's and IM's free, $110 others (juniors $55). Major Open - $80 (juniors $40). For more details or any queries contact hoskyn@ihug.co.nz

NZ RAPID CHAMPIONSHIP - CLASS TWO, 11-12 JANUARY, 2005, Wanganui CC. 9 round swiss. Time control 30 minutes each. Entry fee: $40 (Juniors $20).

For more on NZ see: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/nzchess/

AR
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 13-08-2004 at 08:39 PM.

Amiel, why aren't you supporting/promoting the Mount Buller event instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    Amiel, why aren't you supporting/promoting the Mount Buller event instead?
    Because it is an unsupportable event. And you my friend, I know, will be on my side.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Because it is an unsupportable event. And you my friend, I know, will be on my side.

AR
    I agree with you that Mt Buller is an unsatisfactory location (and that after two failed Mount Bullers there should not have been a third chance given to Mount Buller) and that the Australian Open/Championships should be held in a major city.

Yet at the same time, I think we should give the organisers a break. They are essentially unpaid volunteers who are just trying to do their best for the good of Australian chess and who give their time to do so.

While people (like myself) may not agree with the decision to play the Australian Open/Championships at Mount Buller, at the same time I think it is inappropriate and wrong to try to undermine/sabotage the event (especially in the case of people such as myself who never have and are unlikely to ever play in an Australian Open/Championships).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    I agree with you that Mt Buller is an unsatisfactory location (and that after two failed Mount Bullers there should not have been a third chance given to Mount Buller) and that the Australian Open/Championships should be held in a major city..
    the main fault for the failure of the two previous attempts at mt buller does not lie with accor/mercure/mt buller. So to say that it should not be held at mt buller cause of the two previous failures is rather unfair to mt buller.

Well done Wanganui Chess Club!

I was recently given a copy of the booklet (16 page A5 size) for this tournament (112th NZ Congress). Looks very well done and professional.

Seems that Wanganui has a well run chess club. According to page 13 of this booklet they have a Patron, President, four Vice-Presidents, Secreatry, Treasurer, Publicity Officer, Librarian, Club Captain, five other people on the Management Committee, a Match Committee (3 people) and a Financial Reviewer! If only chess clubs in Sydney were like this!!!

Also liked one aspect of the entry form insert (which was on a pink A4 sheet with printed information spit into 2 x A5) whereby (upon request) the organisers would arrange share accommodation for people travelling by themselves to the event with other like minded people (so that the players could make significant cost savings).

I would suggest to the Mount Buller Organisers to knock up a similar type booklet and that (upon request) the Mt Buller organisers arrange share accommodation for players travelling by themselves to Mt Buller.

While I won't be going to either Mt Buller or Wanganui (for a variety of reasons - primarily due to my workplace being busy at this time of year) I say well done to the Wanganui chess club for producing such a professional looking booklet promoting the 112th NZ Congress and I would encourage the ACF to do something similar for the Mt Buller Championships!
    Last edited by Paul S; 05-09-2004 at 09:54 PM.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    AR, you have the right to start this thread, but, starting this thread is not "good" AR, not "good".

http://www.wanganuichronicle.co.nz/s...ondsubsection=

Now on 3/4. Just lost to Prince. In rounds 2 and 3 I managed to beat higher rated opponents including the top seed Neil Gunn (1914 NZCF).

More later with PGN when I get back to Sydney.

AR

Well done Amiel - keep it up

CC Grandmaster
    I notice that Alex Wohl is said to be from Germany. Is this a mistake or is he planning to change allegiance?
    Scott

Is there a website for this event?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    http://www.wanganuichronicle.co.nz/s...ondsubsection=

Now on 3/4. Just lost to Prince. In rounds 2 and 3 I managed to beat higher rated opponents including the top seed Neil Gunn (1914 NZCF).

More later with PGN when I get back to Sydney.

AR
    Upload some photos! Hmm.. Maybe I should setup photo gallery software for you

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    I notice that Alex Wohl is said to be from Germany. Is this a mistake or is he planning to change allegiance?
    Scott
    This has been much talked about and Wohl himself had a good laught at it yesterday. No, nothing to worry - he's not switching feds. It's just that he apparently had to come from Germany to get to NZ. The organisers just thought it more 'fancy' for the local press to describe him as an entry from Germany. The Wanganui Chronicle is actually giving this daily coverage.

AR
    Last edited by arosar; 05-01-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skip to my lou
    Upload some photos! Hmm.. Maybe I should setup photo gallery software for you
    Yes, I took lotsa pics. Dang I forgot to bring my camera to the net cafe today. Will do tomorrow during rest day.

AR

Here is my round 2 game against 1700+ Evans. Not sure if I played correctly but I was happy with this win. In the next round, against top seed, Gunn, I found myself on the black side of the Bayonet. OTB I suddenly began to think that maybe these wily kiwis set me up for something. So I played the alternative 9...a5. The PGN isn't available yet on the site. I'll post that later. See youse all.

[Event "112th New Zealand Major Open 2004-05"]
    [Site "Wanganui"]
    [Date "2005.01.02"]
    [Round "2.5"]
    [White "Rosario, Amiel"]
    [Black "Evans, David"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "E97"]
    [PlyCount "71"]

PGN Viewer

Thread Information