Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Victoria Ave.

The main street. Plenty of shopping and places to eat - from cheapo fish n' chips to spicy Thai. Gravity Cafe seems to be the hang-out of the gorgeous people. Loved the coffee there too - sadly, a rarity in a country where baristas need a few lessons in coffee making. I know - I'm a metrosexual Sydneysider!
    Last edited by arosar; 05-08-2008 at 10:42 PM.

No BYO movies

Check out this art-deco gem, Embassy Cinema. You walk in there and feels like being back in the old days. There I saw "The Incredibles" - which I so highly recommend!

What? Another Brian?

What is it with these Brians? Over in NZ is Mr Brian Foster, proprietor of NZ Chess Supplies. And, just like our own Brian, he makes a killing on the helpless players who buy any number of chess books they'll never read.

Just kidding OK, Brians?

After Wanganui, I went back to Wellington then off to Christchurch for a couple of days. There, I saw this (see pic).

And by the way, on my first night in Wanganui who should I meet but GM Murray Chandler's uncle. That's right! I walk into the local BP petrol joint and there he was, manning the counter. He even gave me a lesson in how to butter my sandwiches. Unbelievable!! Good onya Clive! Too bad, I have no pic for that.

And that's that with that. Next year, it is expected that some 100 or so Aussies will invade Queenstown for the 113th Congress. Now Wanganui is gorgeous but let me tell you, Queenstown is absolutely mind blowing.

Hope to see you there boys and girls.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    And that's that with that. Next year, it is expected that some 100 or so Aussies will invade Queenstown for the 113th Congress. Now Wanganui is gorgeous but let me tell you, Queenstown is absolutely mind blowing.

Hope to see you there boys and girls.

AR
    Hi Amiel

Well done on all those pictures and reports!

I have had a look at the website for the January 2006 Queenstown chess tournaments http://www.ashburtonchess.cjb.net/ (then click on Queenstown 2006 link) and am impressed by what I see. Those Queenstown guys seem to know a thing or two about how to promote/organise a large tournament. I like some of their innovative ideas, such as overseas players being able to take up to two half point byes (to enable them to do a bit of sightseeing) - this is something that appeals to a "not so serious" (and therefore lowly rated) chessplayer like myself (viz combine chess with a bit of sightseeing).

There is a good chance that I may be one of the 100 Aussies at Queenstown next year! I was in Queenstown in 1981, and yes, it is a beautiful place. Should be a good tournament and I suspect will even be better than the 2003 and 2004 Doeberl Cups (which to date are the best tournaments I have attended)!
    Last edited by Paul S; 18-01-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Thread Information